ASTEROID CITY, Directed by Wes Anderson | June 22

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

I like the Wes Anderson style, but it is basically self parody at this point. But it's not like anyone else is doing this, so I'm ok with it.

Is it self-parody though? A lot of auteurs (writer/director) have a style and stick with it (not all, saying many do). Quentin Tarantino has a "style". Ari Aster has a "style". Nicolas Winding Refn has a "style". David Lynch has a "style". It's pretty normal - this is just Wes Anderson's "style", for good or ill. Are they rest of the styles also self parody at this point? All these directors almost always write the movies they also direct, which makes them different than great directors (but not necessarily auteurs) like Martiin Scorsese or Steven Spielberg or Francis Ford Coppola or Oliver Stone who can change their films' styles and tones to meet the various needs of the genre or kind of film they're making. 

This is absolutely gorgeous. No, I'm not new to Wes Anderson films, but this in particular, the color pallet, set designs, and costumes, is just immensely pleasurable to look at.

That and the interesting premise make this a must-watch for me. If I don't watch it it's only because I forgot it existed.

10 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I admire the man for finding his style and sticking to it. It’s just a style I don’t enjoy much at all. 

Right there with you on it. Like, aesthetically speaking, his films are a delight to look at (literally damn near every shot looks like a freaking post card in this trailer for crying out loud!), it's just they are SO Wes Anderson, that it's off putting to my tastes. I'm always happy to see him put out work with so many amazing talents showcasing such unique characters, I just can't hop aboard.

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Where does it rank amongst the rest of his films? I have yet to see it but definitely will. 

Pretty low, but I’m the wrong person to ask (I’ve never really been a fan). I keep trying, thinking “maybe this will be the one that clicks for me.” 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Impressive you're still trying! Makes sense it'd be pretty low then for you though.

I think I might have to finally throw in the towel. It’s frustrating, because I can watch a movie like The Grand Budapest Hotel and recognize that it is expertly crafted on basically every level, yet it just does absolutely nothing for me. Asteroid City feels like something I would really dig if only it was made by almost anyone else. It’s a fun premise, but because it’s pure, uncut Wes Anderson, I just can’t stomach it. It’s like how some people are genetically opposed to cilantro: it’s always going to taste like soap to me, I should stop expecting anything different. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I think I might have to finally throw in the towel. It’s frustrating, because I can watch a movie like The Grand Budapest Hotel and recognize that it is expertly crafted on basically every level, yet it just does absolutely nothing for me. Asteroid City feels like something I would really dig if only it was made by almost anyone else. It’s a fun premise, but because it’s pure, uncut Wes Anderson, I just can’t stomach it. It’s like how some people are genetically opposed to cilantro: it’s always going to taste like soap to me, I should stop expecting anything different. 

Not every auteur's style is for everyone. I love Wes Anderson's movies, his form of drama and awkwardness feel highly real (if stylized in his films) so they click for me, but his style is very idiosyncratic so it's divisive by nature.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2023 at 1:04 AM, SoberChef said:

So believe it or not, this was actually I believe my first Wes Anderson flick I have seen ... wow. So it's definitely a specific quirky vibe to be sure. That alien was amazing. I feel both awe and at arms length away kinda sorta. It was surely an experience though.

I liked one of the ones I seen and thought one of the other ones were okay but they all kinda blur together and I can't tell you exactly which ones those were (I think Rushmore was one of them but not sure if it was the one I liked or thought was just okay lol).

I finally got around to watching it because of this thread a thoroughly enjoyed it.

if you’re not super into Anderson’s aesthetic and overall story telling style, go back to his earlier stuff like Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums before he got quite so…Anderson-y