Northern Extremists Ban Social Media App from Virtuous Comrades We Totally Are Not In A Cold War With

close-up-on-tiktok-logo-on-a-phone-scree
WWW.CBC.CA

The federal government is removing and blocking the video-sharing platform TikTok from all federal government devices, citing security reasons.

The federal government is removing and blocking the video-sharing platform TikTok from all federal government devices, citing security reasons.

In an email sent to Global Affairs employees Monday, department officials said the Chief Information Officer of Canada made the decision following a review. The review found that TikTok's data collection methods could lead to cyber attacks, the email said. 

The app will be deleted and blocked on all government-issued mobile devices on Feb. 28. The National Post first reported the story. 

"The Government of Canada continuously works to ensure the cyber security of our networks by identifying threats and vulnerabilities, including those on social media platforms," the email said.

"The government will continue to monitor the situation and will work with partners to keep the information on our systems and networks secure."

TikTok specializes in the sharing of short videos. Beijing-based internet technology company ByteDance owns the platform; its ownership has raised concerns at a time of heightened tensions between China and the West.

Last week, Canada's federal privacy regulator, along with three provincial counterparts, launched a joint probe of the platform's collection, use and disclosure of users' personal information.

Mona Fortier, the president of the treasury board, said in a statement  that the chief information officer determined the app "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."

"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said in the statement.

"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."

Fortier added that the decision is in line with that of other governments.

TikTok specializes in the sharing of short videos. Beijing-based internet technology company ByteDance owns the platform; its ownership has raised concerns at a time of heightened tensions between China and the West.

Last week, Canada's federal privacy regulator, along with three provincial counterparts, launched a joint probe of the platform's collection, use and disclosure of users' personal information.

Mona Fortier, the president of the treasury board, said in a statement  that the chief information officer determined the app "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."

"On a mobile device, TikTok's data collection methods provide considerable access to the contents of the phone," Fortier said in the statement.

"While the risks of using this application are clear, we have no evidence at this point that government information has been compromised."

Fortier added that the decision is in line with that of other governments.

Unless I've missed something and someone can point me in the right direction, these bans on government equipment just make me wonder on what level are they taking too much information, or how much is 'this is too much for a foreign country'. 

Like it TikTok is snooping on as much, or even less, than American social media platforms then that's equally a problem. And we know American social media apps are snooping. 

There's always an implication that tiktok is just so much worse, but it's never explicitly compared to American socials. Which makes me feel like these bans need to include way more than tiktok. 

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I fail to understand why all social media applications aren't prohibited on government-issued devices as they inherently represent security risks.

Smart phones are security risks, and most apps present such little value to government that very few should be permitted on government devices.

19 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I fail to understand why all social media applications aren't prohibited on government-issued devices as they inherently represent security risks.

Look at all the government agencies that make official announcements/alerts/etc via Twitter, for one easy example.

Just now, Jason said:

Look at all the government agencies that make official announcements/alerts/etc via Twitter, for one easy example.

An application installed on a smart device isn't necessary to execute those activities.  They should originate from a government computer operating on a secure government network.

59 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Our founders believed in an unalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of posting

If people in governmentweren't allowed to shitpost on their phone, then how would the American people have ever known the importance of Covfefe? Checkmate people who hate America. 

10 hours ago, TheShader said:

Unless I've missed something and someone can point me in the right direction, these bans on government equipment just make me wonder on what level are they taking too much information, or how much is 'this is too much for a foreign country'. 

Like it TikTok is snooping on as much, or even less, than American social media platforms then that's equally a problem. And we know American social media apps are snooping. 

There's always an implication that tiktok is just so much worse, but it's never explicitly compared to American socials. Which makes me feel like these bans need to include way more than tiktok. 

It is too much for a a foreign country that has demonstrated it is hostile to Western Liberal Democracies, and is actively interfering in Western elections.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It is too much for a a foreign country that has demonstrated it is hostile to Western Liberal Democracies, and is actively interfering in Western elections.

I'm not denying that, the problem is our social media is doing the same thing yet it's constant crickets over them aside from the occasional congressional hearing that goes nowhere. 

Reminder of the whole Cambridge Analytica debacle and how they helped another foreign country interfere in our elections.