PC Community Thread

stepee

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Definitely use the sag bracket it comes with (or get a better looking one if you're about that kind of life), also, there's likely a physical switch on the card, set it to "OC/Power" mode so you don't get an awful fan curve by default, lastly, don't be alarmed if the fans aren't spinning on it when you're not gaming: the heatsinks are so monstrous on the 4080s and 4090s that it'll stay around 35-45C without the fans on.

I saw some seem to imply that because for my case it would sit vertically instead of laying flat horizontally in the case I might not need to the sag bracket, but it was definitely something I was going to look out for. Thanks for the reminder. 

the switch is a very good callout. I forgot

all about that. 

29 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I saw some seem to imply that because for my case it would sit vertically instead of laying flat horizontally in the case I might not need to the sag bracket, but it was definitely something I was going to look out for. Thanks for the reminder. 

all about that. 

Mine is installed vertically as well.  Given the size of modern video cards, I'm not sure I would buy a case in the future that doesn't support vertical mounting.

44 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

all about that. 

Depending on your vertical bracket you may not need the anti-sag then :santasun:

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ve got the Hyte Y60 case. I really liked and still like the look of it, but if the next card I get is any bigger I’ll need a new case for sure. It cannot take a 4090 or any 4 slot card. 

I think they designed the Y60 with  watercooling builds in mind, and didn't leave enough space for larger air-cooled GPUs.

I have the Y40, and it has a little more space.  Hopefully, they fix that going forward.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

The company demoed a basic neural network-rendered world back in 2018.

@legend @stepee @Mr.Vic20

It's not crazy. Key to this being adopted will be that developers retain artistic control over the output and that it remains consistent, but I think that problem is solvable by the time DLSS 10 comes around.

There's an interesting interaction here, which is that for agents acting in complex worlds (think NPCs), image-like representations are quite good ways to present the world, much like vision is good for biological systems. But I do say "image-like" meaning it doesn't have to be RGB but other semantic information projected into an ego-centric image. So if we embed AI agents in the game worlds, would we render images for them to perceive? Would the input used for these neural rendering methods already be a good form? Or would we actually find that using an intermediate stage of the neural rendering (from semantic to image) to be even better for agents?

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It's out, the two games that were updated with it are Forspoken and Immortals of Avelum ( @stepee ). I think Forspoken re-released the PC demo to include FSR3 now, but I could be mistaken. No mention of fake frames on r/AMD so FSR3 must be legit! :troll:

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's out, the two games that were updated with it are Forspoken and Immortals of Avelum ( @stepee ). I think Forspoken re-released the PC demo to include FSR3 now, but I could be mistaken. No mention of fake frames on r/AMD so FSR3 must be legit! :troll:

lol I might need to check it out just for fun. I was watching DF weekly and someone snuck in a reader comment saying how frame gen doesn’t count basically and then they later dialed back and referenced a panel they had with CD Project where they said essentially it’s all fake frames. Everything they are doing in real time rendering is cheating and faking so it’s all fake frames.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol I might need to check it out just for fun. I was watching DF weekly and someone snuck in a reader comment saying how frame gen doesn’t count basically and then they later dialed back and referenced a panel they had with CD Project where they said essentially it’s all fake frames. Everything they are doing in real time rendering is cheating and faking so it’s all fake frames.

I can confirm it's in the Forspoken demo, I just redownloaded it and booted it up. With FSR set to native (essentially FSR's DLAA, I guess) I was getting 60fps, with FSR Frame Gen on it jumped to 110

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I can confirm it's in the Forspoken demo, I just redownloaded it and booted it up. With FSR set to native (essentially FSR's DLAA, I guess) I was getting 60fps, with FSR Frame Gen on it jumped to 110

How is it compared to dlss frame gen in first impression? I’m a little confused in that article what exactly you can use without a 7000 series amd gpu. It says that the 7000 series has anti lag+ and can gain up to 3.8x performance. What is that talking about, is that including the image super sampling fsr and just marketing speak saying it works a little better with that anti lag feature but the full frame gen works on anything basicialy within the last 5 years or so?

Just now, stepee said:

How is it compared to dlss frame gen in first impression? I’m a little confused in that article what exactly you can use without a 7000 series amd gpu. It says that the 7000 series has anti lag+ and can gain up to 3.8x performance. What is that talking about, is that including the image super sampling fsr and just marketing speak saying it works a little better with that anti lag feature but the full frame gen works on anything basicialy within the last 5 years or so?

It felt fine, I guess? I'm guessing that anti-lag+ has to do with decreasing input latency further but I have no idea. I only spent like 4-5 minutes with it so I can't really say much, plus Forspoken is... Forspoken, but from what I played I don't know if the 110fps "felt" like 110fps? It kinda felt the same as the 60fps...? I dunno

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It felt fine, I guess? I'm guessing that anti-lag+ has to do with decreasing input latency further but I have no idea. I only spent like 4-5 minutes with it so I can't really say much, plus Forspoken is... Forspoken, but from what I played I don't know if the 110fps "felt" like 110fps? It kinda felt the same as the 60fps...? I dunno

It’s hard to say with that game cuz it’s a little janky how movement feels even without frame gen so yeah maybe Immortals is a better demo as that was like silk after the latest updates. It seeming fine is actually a win to me if it doesn’t make the image as nasty as fsr upscaling can. Maybe this is easier to do without AI. 

Im glad it’s out either way as it should really help with adoption of having frame gen in every major game now.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s hard to say with that game cuz it’s a little janky how movement feels even without frame gen so yeah maybe Immortals is a better demo as that was like silk after the latest updates. It seeming fine is actually a win to me if it doesn’t make the image as nasty as fsr upscaling can. Maybe this is easier to do without AI. 

Im glad it’s out either way as it should really help with adoption of having frame gen in every major game now.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say: Forspoken feels "off" regardless of framerate so I can't really say how good it is or isn't

21 hours ago, stepee said:

it’s pretty common for DF to bring up a member member comment during the a weekly show’s news segment. 

Across the net I’ve heard the feelings that frame gen isn’t legit because it’s not real frames. And lamenting that more and more games can’t be rasterized with the performance they used to be. To get performance you’re accustomed to you need DLSS/FSR and now frame gen. And it’s not a pure experience. There’s artifacts, input lag, ghosting, and other weird quirks. 

every consumer market has these people. They’re the naturally aspirated engine Stan’s of the video game industry. lol

@stepeenot sure if it’s true, but via comparisons with Immortals of Avelum (since it has both DLSS3 and FSR3) people are claiming that FSR3 input latency is 70% worse than DLSS3 and that it seems as though FSR3 requires vsync and does not support any form of VRR (whereas DLSS3 uses vsync only as a framerate cap and is using VRR otherwise).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeenot sure if it’s true, but via comparisons with Immortals of Avelum (since it has both DLSS3 and FSR3) people are claiming that FSR3 input latency is 70% worse than DLSS3 and that it seems as though FSR3 requires vsync and does not support any form of VRR (whereas DLSS3 uses vsync only as a framerate cap and is using VRR otherwise).

I’ll need to download Immortals later but I tried forspoken on my ROG Ally and it works there. I always force vsync on ROG and it seemed like both frame gen and and freesync were working but idk maybe it’s not working right and it’s hard to tell on a handheld. But it worked generally well and made handheld 60fps Forspoken at reasonable settings possible but using FSR at 720p isn’t fantastic and the IQ is pretty shaky. Definitely interested to try it on the ally in something where you can hold a decent IQ better, unfortunately that probably isn’t Immortals either.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ll need to download Immortals later but I tried forspoken on my ROG Ally and it works there. I always force vsync on ROG and it seemed like both frame gen and and freesync were working but idk maybe it’s not working right and it’s hard to tell on a handheld. But it worked generally well and made handheld 60fps Forspoken at reasonable settings possible but using FSR at 720p isn’t fantastic and the IQ is pretty shaky. Definitely interested to try it on the ally in something where you can hold a decent IQ better, unfortunately that probably isn’t Immortals either.

I believe people deduced the “no VRR support” via it having vsync stutters from fluctuating framerate when below refresh rate. Forspoken has native res FSR (like DLAA) so you can try that instead of using an upscale at 720p.

Ultimately, I’m waiting for a DF comparison, though :p 

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I believe people deduced the “no VRR support” via it having vsync stutters from fluctuating framerate when below refresh rate. Forspoken has native res FSR (like DLAA) so you can try that instead of using an upscale at 720p.

Ultimately, I’m waiting for a DF comparison, though :p 

Yeah I tried native res fsr and it was still pretty questionable in quality. Part of it is I don’t think Forspoken even looks good on ps5, the game scales down really poorly. That would make sense with the vsync though.

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Im not quite sure what I’m supposed to be seeing. There’s less blurr on the green orbs on the DLSS 3+Frame Gen. Is that it? 

The one on the left FSR 3 looks like an abstract painting while the one on the right DLSS 3 looks like something with actual structure.

• True 1