PC Community Thread

stepee

12 hours ago, stepee said:

tbf probably works about as good as mine does right now!

It just occurred to me there have been reports of 4000 cards dying because of GPU sag (from the huge heatsinks) causing stress near the PCIE x16 connector and breaking PCB circuits.  Did you happen to use a GPU support bracket?

20 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So am I learning the wrong things from YouTube (probably a yes regardless)? I feel like what I should be learning is that if the only taxing purpose the PC will be used for is 1440p or 4K gaming, if you have a top tier graphics card you don’t also need a top tier CPU. The CPU needs to just be good enough to not be a bottleneck. 

Because I’m at a certain point in benchmarks the performance differences nearly disappear for CPUs at 1440 and 4K. Especially with a good enough graphics card. So it appears if you go all in on a graphics card the cpu will start deliver diminishing returns above a certain spec (and price point), right?  

or is there something in this equation I’m missing? Like other than to be ultra enthusiast to always have the best of best inside the case is there a reason for only gaming you would need a $2000 graphics card pairs with a $700-$800 CPU? 

4k is just a lot of pixels to render, and the GPU is 99% responsible for this performance attribute. The other 1% can make slight differences on occasion, as you may need a lot of bandwidth from the CPU, PCIE slot, and memory in some games.

1440p is a conundrum because of all the high speed monitors available now, up to 360Hz. If you're trying to maximize fps for Esports titles, CPU will make a difference here.

8 cores is the target right now. There are not many games that benefit beyond 8. You'd only need to spend $700-$800 on a higher core count CPU if you also do some kind of video or 3D work on the side.

We have been a luxury state of CPU performance for a while now. Even modest $150 CPUs can give you at minimum 60 fps in every game.

29 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

4k is just a lot of pixels to render, and the GPU is 99% responsible for this performance attribute. The other 1% can make slight differences on occasion, as you may need a lot of bandwidth from the CPU, PCIE slot, and memory in some games.

1440p is a conundrum because of all the high speed monitors available now, up to 360Hz. If you're trying to maximize fps for Esports titles, CPU will make a difference here.

8 cores is the target right now. There are not many games that benefit beyond 8. You'd only need to spend $700-$800 on a higher core count CPU if you also do some kind of video or 3D work on the side.

We have been a luxury state of CPU performance for a while now. Even modest $150 CPUs can give you at minimum 60 fps in every game.

In regards to 4k, it’s worth noting that is for native rendering. Using DLSS/FSR puts it within 5-10% of the base resolution performance prior to upscale (ie: 1440p performance when running 4k DLSS/FSR at quality).

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm wondering if the move to UE5 will have more games scaling beyond 8 cores.

The benchmarks I have seen suggest  a $150 CPU (like a Ryzen 5600) won't give you a solid 60 in all games.

7 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It just occurred to me there have been reports of 4000 cards dying because of GPU sag (from the huge heatsinks) causing stress near the PCIE x16 connector and breaking PCB circuits.  Did you happen to use a GPU support bracket?

I did!

UZ4Pkk4BsnUxH6zZNXsTM9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

"The lawyers representing Nintendo... wished to create a narrative where the DMCA's exemptions do not apply to us, as these exemptions are powerful and widely in our favor."

• Sicko 1

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-16-gb/33.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-16-gb/30.html

The 16gb variant of the 4060 Ti definitely helps ease the issues of the 8gb model as it won't have to access that shit 128bit bus as much due to not needing to actively load into the VRAM as often during gameplay (games where the 8gb hit near its VRAM limit made it get outperformed by a 3060 Ti). However, the 8gb model probably shouldn't exist and the 16gb model should be $400: certainly not this garbage $500 price :p 

Also, there are still concerns of performance loss if running it on an older system with PCIE 3.0 or lower due to it being an 8x card.

48 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:
IntelCore-4.jpg?quality=50&strip=all&w=1
WWW.PCWORLD.COM

There is a serious security flaw in billions of Intel CPUs that can let attackers steal confidential data like passwords and encryption keys. Firmware updates can fix it, but at a potential significant...

For those looking for a practical tl;dr:

Gen 6-11 CPUs affected, but updates from Intel fixed it. Gen 12 and 13 (Alder Lake, Raptor Lake) are not affected. 

Looks like Zotac won’t be the brand I stick with now that EVGA is out. They are being a pain with this refund. First the chat just closed out on me after I walked through it all and they didn’t reach back to me.

I then submitted a ticket and they are obviously just doing an initial layer of buying time to see if I’m someone who might give up with the RMA, asking things already addressed in my initial remarks. And now they want a video to evaluate it? A video of what? Just take the card and evaluate it fuck.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Fuck side quests. They are littered all over the fucking place and the ones I did were a complete joke. The blacksmith and even the old lady selling weapons and gear are miserable pos. 

Honestly Cid was the only cool character and 

Spoiler

They killed him lol

• True 1