Best/worst Christmas songs.

CastletonSnob

30 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's because there's actual meaning to the music that largely exists regardless of actual belief.  They speak to something within us that transcends their Christian content.

A few more of my favorites:

As someone from the Caribbean, I'm metaphysically obligated to adore this one:

And the one that moves me to tears every time I hear it:

Any specific reason you tear up for drummer boy? It's not one of my favorites. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wasn’t directed at me sorry but it’s the idea of never being able to do enough to repay god. But doing what you can where you can and that still being enough for him because of his divine love and mercy

Shall I play for you

Mary nodded

The ox and lamb kept time

I played my best for Him
….

Then He smiled at me

Me and my drum.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Wasn’t directed at me sorry but it’s the idea of never being able to do enough to repay god. But doing what you can where you can and that still being enough for him because of his divine love and mercy

Shall I play for you

Mary nodded

I played my best for Him
….

Then He smiled at me

Me and my drum.

Well then. That is great and I honestly never paid much attention to the lyrics. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

The cadence/percussion of the drumbeat just has a very melancholy effect on my emotions.  Also, I consider the lyrics to be extremely touching as an expression of grace and humility.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Shall I play for you

Mary nodded

I played my best for Him
….

Then He smiled at me

Me and my drum.

This could very well be one of the most profound, insightful things ever posted on this site, and I genuinely mean that!  One doesn't even need to believe in the Christian message to apply that in one's own life to our interactions with others.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Songs about hot chocolate and shopping and falling in love can go fuck themselves. 

I couldn't agree more. I actually get quite angry at the cacophony of these banal, emotionally meaningless, commercially-driven aural abominations that we're subjected to since Halloween ended.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the way to work a Christmas event tonight (a telling of a Christmas story for radio) and this baller ass bitch was rolling by on a bike with a boombox blasting "Awake" by Godsmack. And then I had a really shitty day at work and the only thing keeping me sane was the singer of Godsmack singing "I'M DOING THE BEST I EVER DIIDDDRRRRR" and it made me giggle.

For me, that song is now a Christmas song.

edit: sorry, the song is called "Whatever." Awake is a different one. Their songs all kind of blur together for me.

• Haha 2