Anyone playing or have played Chained Echos?

eventide11

I did for about 10 hours. I love the look, the sounds, etc. But I don't love the leveling and combat systems. Enemies are limited, and combat strategy take an aggressive front seat to your stats and skills to the point that its really more about the pattern of attacks and composition of your party than your stats and equipment. Some love that, I do not. I don't like being pushed through the story through XP gating either. 

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

A bit unfortunate that we’ve seen so many 16-bit inspired RPGs that don’t live up to their inspiration.  Radiant Historia on DS might be the closest. Got high hopes for this and Sea of Stars.

I’ll snag it on sale next year.

Funny, in my "review" (more like a recommendation based on the extremely strong opening) this was exactly what I brought up: so many of these types of games harken back to the SNES JRPGs, but none really hook me like those older games. This one I was totally enraptured right from the start. Only reason I haven't been playing it way more is because I was waiting for my daughter's Winter Break from school, now I've got more free time and less "I have a game open but I'm busy literally all day" time.

• Like 1
  • Halal 3

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Funny, in my "review" (more like a recommendation based on the extremely strong opening) this was exactly what I brought up: so many of these types of games harken back to the SNES JRPGs, but none really hook me like those older games. This one I was totally enraptured right from the start. Only reason I haven't been playing it way more is because I was waiting for my daughter's Winter Break from school, now I've got more free time and less "I have a game open but I'm busy literally all day" time.

Same with me. Hooked almost immediately and got Chrono Trigger feels. Excellent characters and progression so far... 

Game opens with almost a 1 for 1 homage to Chrono Trigger's opening and somehow makes it work and makes it feel effortless. It's wild. Normally I hate homages or references, but you won't miss anything if you didn't play Chrono Trigger and if you did it's a great subversion of expectations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Game opens with almost a 1 for 1 homage to Chrono Trigger's opening and somehow makes it work and makes it feel effortless. It's wild. Normally I hate homages or references, but you won't miss anything if you didn't play Chrono Trigger and if you did it's a great subversion of expectations.

Absolutely. And I didn't think I could like any more of these indie try hards with their attempts to recapture the glory of the old days. I usually appreciate it for an hour or two then it can't hold my attention anymore. But after Signalis and now this that wall of ice I had for indie attempts at capturing the old days is rapidly melting and I'm coming to the horrifying conclusion I may have a MONUMENTAL backlog to visit 

God I love this game. Like seriously, this may make my top 5 games this year. Im completely in love. I’m 20 hours in, and I have stopped playing everything else. I went to play a game of 40k today at a friends, and I had to pull myself away to get my models together and get out the door. I always want to find out what’s coming next. It just feels special. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, eventide11 said:

Absolutely. And I didn't think I could like any more of these indie try hards with their attempts to recapture the glory of the old days. I usually appreciate it for an hour or two then it can't hold my attention anymore. But after Signalis and now this that wall of ice I had for indie attempts at capturing the old days is rapidly melting and I'm coming to the horrifying conclusion I may have a MONUMENTAL backlog to visit 

That wall shattered for me with Hollow Knight.  But I’ve always been open to indies getting there eventually.

• Halal 1

My friend gave it a shot. He’s red/green color blind, and can’t see a lot of the ladders/pathways built into the surfaces, so that sucks.

im absolutely loving the game, start to finish. Or start to wherever I am right now. This is quickly climbing my best of the year list. It’s definitely up there with SE greats like Chrono Trigger.

• Like 1

fed21c4393244efda5b8151d5a0c478a-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

Chained Echoes for PC game reviews & Metacritic score: Take up your sword, channel your magic or board your Mech. Chained Echoes is a 16-bit SNES style RPG set in a fantasy...

currently a 91 on metacritic, 88 user score with some of the usual “lol gamepass 0/10 herp derp” reviews mixed in. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my game is basically broken at this point and I can't recommend it with this very bad gameplay design.

Up until now I'd been enjoying it, fights were getting hard but doable as long as you worked at it.

But now I've reached a point in the game where they split your party and make it impossible to backtrack. I've pushed forward a bunch and now am just getting utterly clowned by two regular enemies. Can't beat them for the life of me. They hit all characters hard and I barely do any damage to them. At this point in the game you cannot change your party make up, because you only have access to three characters.

I figure I must be missing something about how to fight them, so I look up some video walkthroughs online at that fight. In all the videos, the players in the walkthrough are doing *vastly* more damage than I am, like 3x more or something. There's no strategy, they just crush them with basic attacks.

And it's not as though I hadn't upgraded the weapons I have. So all I can figure is somehow I missed finding better weapons somewhere in the world that have all of sudden made it impossible to progress. I'd backtrack, except it's impossible to backtrack at this part of the game. I'd have to load an old enough save hours ago because of how the story funneled things and maybe find weapon pick ups I missed.

I'm not doing that and am not going to play a game where you lose hours of progress because you missed something that's gated you from progressing.

• Sad 1