Need For Speed Unbound is.... rough. (Now with video)

XxEvil AshxX

Just put about an hour into the trial and the racing is great as always, but also, as always the surrounding package is... kinda rough.

To be fair, I thought the "flair" coming off the cars was going to be obnoxious as hell, but it was surprisingly unintrusive and I kinda liked it after a while. Seeing "wings" drawn around my car when I hit a ramp was fun. It grew on me after a few minutes. Still not a fan of the "lava lamp smoke" though.

The character designs are fucking atrocious. Not only is the cel-shading style ugly as fuck, but the character customization options are extremely limiting. Have fun trying to design a guy you don't want to immediately punch in the face.

Conversations can be cringey, but aren't as cringey (yet) as I expected. Just low-level cringe so far.

Level of detail (on Series S, I should note) is pretty low. The immediate surroundings of the car look great, but once you look 20 or 30 yards ahead, not so much. Also a ton of pop-in, especially when you get to the forested areas. It might be better on the Series X and the PS5 (downloading to X right now) but as for the Series S, I really expected the game to look better.

I recorded the first hour of gameplay tinkering around in the game, I'll upload it to my channel as soon as I get done with it and post it on here.

On a scale of 1 to I'm too old for this shit, how too old am I for this shit? :p Seriously though, the need to build characters around these racing games is really off putting! I don't need to relate to enjoy a driving game! What I need:

* Car go fast!

* Car handles well!

* Many fun tracks!

* Many game modes

* "Fun" vibe, NOT edgey vibe 

* Options for both arcade and sim driving styles

* Again, NO over the top human beings added to help me "relate"

46 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

On a scale of 1 to I'm too old for this shit, how too old am I for this shit? :p Seriously though, the need to build characters around these racing games is really off putting! I don't need to relate to enjoy a driving game! What I need:

* Car go fast! - check

* Car handles well! - from what i played, check

* Many fun tracks! - open world, so... well... ya know.

* Many game modes - too early to tell

* "Fun" vibe, NOT edgey vibe - you'll cut yourself on the "edge"

* Options for both arcade and sim driving styles - seems like it could be in

* Again, NO over the top human beings added to help me "relate" - that ship sailed, hit the iceberg, sunk, was raised, then the ship that raised it hit an iceberg and sunk.

It's a solid 8 on the Too Old For This Shit meter.

I gotta be honest, it wouldn't be nearly as bad if the guys didn't all look like they fell out of an issue of Vogue magazine. I had to edit out my entire character customization portion of my video for fear that I would get canceled.

LOD pop-in is pretty bad, though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The character designs are fucking atrocious. Not only is the cel-shading style ugly as fuck, but the character customization options are extremely limiting. Have fun trying to design a guy you don't want to immediately punch in the face.

I never play as dudes in games if given the choice, because there’s rarely ever male protagonists in games that I don’t want to immediately punch in the face. :p I was interested in this game, but I just discovered that it’s current gen only so I won’t be playing it until I get a PS5.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

I never play as dudes in games if given the choice, because there’s rarely ever male protagonists in games that I don’t want to immediately punch in the face. :p I was interested in this game, but I just discovered that it’s current gen only so I won’t be playing it until I get a PS5.

The sad thing is that this game doesn't do much to justify the current gen hardware. The framerate seems to be locked at 60, so there's that.

• XxEvil AshxX changed the title to Need For Speed Unbound is.... rough. (Now with video)

From the start I've thought the flair looked really cool and was a fun unique way of adding some pop and art style to what are generally very samey looking racing games. Shame to hear that whatever team makes these games still don't know what acting is, though. Or writing. Or what people look like, talk like and enjoy in life.

You know, I just had a random thought. I feel like people in the Need for Speed world talk about racing and cars in the same exact way that people talk about Pokemon in those games.

• Haha 1

After putting some more time into it last night, I can honestly say I'm warming up to it a bit. The game looks a bit better on the Series X (although my complaints about the pop in still hold true) and when the atmospheric effects kick in the game can be really, really pretty.

The female character I chose to play wasn't as annoying by herself. After the prologue wrapped up, I actually thought that EA was going to spare us from the extra-level-cringe that this series has been known for in recent times. And for a minute, it was looking up.

....then Tess came along, and holy shit. This girl takes the "street lingo" and cranks it up to 15. After approximately 30 seconds of her being on screen I wanted to run her over.

Why does EA think these people are likeable?

The driving itself is fun, but I still experience that weird thing when I hit a straightaway and I have a racer in front of me, I'll hit my nitros and boost...... only for the car in front to stay the same distance ahead. This happens from time to time in one racing game or another and it bugs the shit out of me. What's the point of nitros if I can't use it at an opportune moment to gain the upper hand?

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You know, I just had a random thought. I feel like people in the Need for Speed world talk about racing and cars in the same exact way that people talk about Pokemon in those games.

Fucking dead on! It’s less annoying with pokémon for some reason, maybe because it’s not voiced, but it actually does bug me there too. I wish npc characters would sometimes just talk about literally anything else. It kind of breaks the immersion for me.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Fucking dead on! It’s less annoying with pokémon for some reason, maybe because it’s not voiced, but it actually does bug me there too. I wish npc characters would sometimes just talk about literally anything else. It kind of breaks the immersion for me.

It's funny because when I was in high school (1000 years ago) we had a really big street racing scene in my city. It was the thing to do on a Sunday night. Go cruise the strip, hang out in the various parking lots. Rarely did we talk about the actual racing. We talked about school, movies, chicks. We weren't all standing around acting like the fast and the furious.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Oh Phase is back in now!

I’ve always been in because I’m a NFS fan, and I knew that you could play as a female character. However, I didn’t know that it was current gen only because it looks cross-gen. Oh well, I guess that I won’t be playing it anytime soon. :shrug:

18 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve always been in because I’m a NFS fan, and I knew that you could play as a female character. However, I didn’t know that it was current gen only because it looks cross-gen. Oh well, I guess that I won’t be playing it anytime soon. :shrug:

You need a PS5 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Maybe the board will send Phase a PS5 like they did @Bacon then he won't have to wait for GTAVI to come out

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'd help him get one.

@skillzdadirecta actually offered to do this for me which I greatly appreciated, but I’m not quite ready for a PS5 just yet. I currently have hundreds of PS4 games to play, and I also want to wait to get a PS5 when the detachable disc drive version is out. I had to replace my Xbox 360 because the disc drive stopped working, and my PS4 disc drive sometimes doesn’t read discs either. I’m afraid that it’s going to stop working completely as well. I want a detachable disc drive PS5 so if the disc drive stops working I can just replace it without having to replace the entire console.

@best3444 thanks for offering to help get me a PS5, I definitely want one in the future but just not right now.

• Halal 1

Game Information

Game Title: Need for Speed Unbound

Platforms:

• PC (Dec 2, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Dec 2, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Dec 2, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Dec 2, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Dec 2, 2022)

Trailer:

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 76 average - 56% recommended

Critic Reviews

Atomix - Alberto Desfassiaux - Spanish - 90 / 100

Need for Speed: Unbound represents the return of Criterion as a top tier developer. The result is one of the best arcade racing games of the last few years and also, a great Need for Speed experience.

Attack of the Fanboy - Shaun Cichacki - 4.5 / 5

Bringing a fresh new art style to the franchise that we hope sticks around for years to come, this ain't your daddy's Need for Speed. And maybe, that's a good thing. With Heat pushing the franchise in a bold new direction, Need For Speed Unbound borrows almost everything that made that title special and improves upon it.

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 8 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound is a fun arcade style racing title that is a must play for NFS fans.

COGconnected - Rhett Waselenchuk - 65 / 100

I can live with many of Need For Speed Unbound’s faults. Admittedly, there were fleeting moments when I enjoyed the routine of earning cash, upgrading, outrunning police, and climbing Lakeshore’s underground racing ranks. But, when a Need For Speed game spits in the face of people that use wheel and pedal setups, it’s tough to feel a need for anything other than a need to play a better game. There’s a foundation here to build upon, but EA and Criterion have their work cut out for them if they ever hope to compete with the giants of the racing game scene.

Dexerto - Lloyd Coombes - 4 / 5

Like a friend that refuses to grow up, Need for Speed: Unbound brings the franchise back with all of its inherent silliness and ill-advised driving. And, just like that friend, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Its story is forgettable, and its characters are more than a little irritating, but it’s a solid arcade racer that hopefully acts as a springboard for the franchise.

Digital Chumps - Benjamine Branscum - 9.7 / 10

'Need for Speed Unbound' is what we all needed. Like a throwback to the older NFS games. Unbound says, 'Hey, I'm really just here to have a damn good time,' and hands you the keys.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3.5 / 5

Need for Speed Unbound proves that having a distinct style and cool premise does a lot to elevate a game.

EGM - Mollie L Patterson - Unscored

While I’m not sure how the more hardcore racing fans will receive the game, this is the kind of release that’s perfect for those of us who come to those genre entries that offer something that’ll capture our imaginations (and reignite that occasional need for speed). And, if nothing else, Need for Speed: Unbound is available as a 10-hour full-game trial through both EA Play and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which is more than enough time to see if the game will do for you what it’s done so far for me.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - No Recommendation

The return of Criterion to Need For Speed franchise is done in name only, in a bombastic game, that also suffers from an huge imbalance of challenges and lacks the elements that make us think of the legendary studio.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - No Recommendation

Need for Speed: Unbound is not an undisputed triumph as you expected from Criterion Games, but it is a very fun open world driving game. The high vehicle customization, anime aesthetics and feeling that your driving ability is constantly tested are part of its appeal. On the other hand, money management and relentless police generate some friction that can interfere with the sense of instant gratification you expect from an arched driving game.

Everyeye.it - Alessandro Petruio - Italian - 6.8 / 10

It is ironic how a product called "Unbound" is, on the contrary, still so harnessed by the canons of traditional open world racing games, resulting all too similar to its direct predecessor. Need For Speed Unbound is an overall valid title, provided however that you approach it without too many pretensions.

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 75%

Although we would have hoped for a lot more on the technical side thanks to current-gen exclusivity, "Need for Speed Unbound" leaves a positive overall impression. Sure, the strange mix of cel-shading and realism is not for everyone, but at least sets the game apart from other series parts and racing games. The constant threat from the police is initially entertaining, but quickly becomes annoying if you want to earn enough money to visually customize several cars. This is exactly where "Need for Speed Unbound" has its strength, which hasn't been in the series for a long time. The tuning and adaptation of the vehicles as well as the progress through the story motivate tremendously and are reminiscent of series highlights such as "Underground 2" or "Most Wanted". Sooner or later, however, the unpleasant smell of burnt rubber always remains in the nose.

Game Rant - Joshua Duckworth - 2.5 / 5

As a result, Need for Speed Unbound feels like it comes to a stop before it ever gets going. The polish in the moment-to-moment gameplay cannot be ignored, but as a whole, Need for Speed Unbound is just another forgettable entry in the long-running franchise.

GamePro - Annika Bavendiek - German - 83 / 100

Need for Speed Unbound is a fun racer with a comic look that challenges and motivates, but exaggerates a bit in terms of police and story.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

Criterion has certainly made its mark with this latest entry in the Need for Speed series, injecting a bit more fun and polish into the template created by Ghost Games. The result is an arcade racer that truly stands out from the crowd thanks to its visual flair and thrilling police chases. Providing you take the time to tweak the handling to your preferences, and you don’t mind the hip hop-driven soundtrack, Need for Speed Unbound is likely to be the most entertaining racing game you’ll play this year.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 7 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound delights with a vibrant new art style and some exciting arcade racing, but familiar issues are as frustrating as an inopportune oil slick

Gamer's Palace - Manuel Eichhorn - German - 72 / 100

Need for Speed Unbound is the best new Need for Speed in recent years - which means it is a solid, yet not great arcade racing game.

Gamersky - 前朝刘沛公 - Chinese - 8.1 / 10

Need for Speed: Unbound can be regarded as a very special work by every means. It combines street racing and police chasing together, using comic-style visual effects and exciting music make people addicted to every corner of the city.

Although it has obvious problems with difficulty control and currency system, this does not have much influence on the game experience. When I drove all kinds of modified vehicles with cool paint roaring on the streets of Lakeshore, all the troubles in my heart were swept away along with the roadblocks ahead.

GamesRadar+ - Justin Towell - 4 / 5

At 4K/60, Need for Speed Unbound is a clear showcase for the new generation of consoles"

GamingBolt - Shunal Doke - 8 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound feels like a breath of fresh air. The arcade-style racing has seen quite a significant improvement from its predecessor, and the game's general styles and sensibilities definitely make it one of the most unique-looking racing games out there. All in all, and this is weird for a Need for Speed game, but there's little to complain about. The cars feel great to drive in, and just about everything looks gorgeous.

Geeks & Com - Marc-Antoine Bergeron Cote - French - 7.5 / 10

There is no need to say, Need for Speed Unbound is not perfect, but it comes close to the good games of the license. The studio Criterion Games has done a good job in offering an art direction that stands out from the competition. The return of full vehicle customization is also very pleasing as the title has a nice list of cars. Nevertheless, the extremely repetitive nature of the events, the uninteresting multiplayer mode and the inconsistent gameplay do not allow the game to rise very high. Hopefully, this half-hearted success will allow the license to come back in force in the near future.

Hardcore Gamer - Sam Spyrison - 4 / 5

Need for Speed Unbound brings plenty of style and builds upon the high stakes dynamic established in 2019's Heat to create an engaging and enjoyable open world racing game.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 78 / 100

Need for Speed Unbound does not reinvent the wheel, but it does tune it. Criterion Games wanted to stand out with its new artistic style and a more than remarkable technical power and has succeeded. This is not the best driving game of the year, but we do see an NFS that wants the saga to return to the highest categories. Funny, fast and furious.

IGN Italy - Davide Mancini - Italian - 8 / 10

A pure Need for Speed experience for the Z generation, blessed with a fresh style and a great soundtrack. The races are fun, the sense of speed is great, and the progression is real. The only pity is that Lakeshore City is a very lacklustre open world.

Kotaku - Zack Zwiezen - Unscored

Need for Speed Unbound is unlikely to pull the franchise out from underneath the shadows of bigger, more popular racing games in 2022. But I do think it has a chance of helping the series stand out more. And regardless of if Unbound becomes a big hit or not, it’s a damn fine game with some great ideas that make every race more exciting and every upgrade feel more valuable. And it looks rad the whole time, too.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 6 / 10

The best Need For Speed in a decade – but that says far more about the moribund state of the franchise than it does this workmanlike new entry.

PC Gamer - Phil Iwaniuk - 76 / 100

Some well-judged bold calls in both mechanics and visual direction elevate a familiar arcade racer above NFS's previous monotony.

PC Invasion - Andrew Farrell - 7 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound has the racing and the world down pat, but the game is marred by too many roadblocks and a heaping helping of tedium.

PSX Brasil - Luis Guilherme Machado Camargo - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Need for Speed Unbound is a pleasant surprise, one of the best releases of the year and also one of the best and boldest games in the series. It's an easy recommendation for any racing games fan and we hope that EA and Criterion continue to improve the formula delivered with this title.

PlayStation Universe - John-Paul Jones - 9 / 10

Visually astounding with a weighty handling model and some super clever design, Need for Speed Unbound is easily the best Need for Speed in years. Though the single-player story campaign is a little less inspiring than it needs to be both in terms of its plot and content, Need for Speed Unbound nonetheless sets a resoundingly solid foundation for the Need for Speed franchise to evolve into the future and is essential for fans of both the series and the street racing genre at large.

Polygon - Owen Good - Unscored

Heat, a solid game that built up a dedicated audience, probably didn’t get the fairest shake in public opinion after it launched three years ago. Electronic Arts reorganized its action-racing development in response. Unbound arrives with the same lack of glamour, the same diminished cachet, but it is so much more fun, and so much more worth my time racing and running from the law, that the game feels like racing’s comeback player of the year.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 8 / 10

Despite one or two small complaints, Need for Speed Unbound is a great arcade racer, finally getting the series back on track. The versatile handling feels fantastic, and the single-player offers a highly engaging campaign, pitting you against the cops and other racers in equal measure. The much talked-about cartoon effects succeed in bringing some flair to the experience, and it all runs wonderfully at 4K and 60 frames-per-second. If you can forgive a slightly underwhelming backdrop and a barebones online mode, the minute-to-minute action make this more than worth taking for a spin.

Shacknews - Morgan Shaver - 6 / 10

If you’re looking for a game to kick back and play race after race with a sizable campaign and other options including an online mode, Need for Speed Unbound has plenty to keep you busy and entertained.

Softpedia - Bogdan Popa - 9 / 10

I don’t know about you but Unbound feels precisely what the doctor ordered for the Need for Speed franchise. Heat has more or less left me hoping for more, and now that Unbound is built based on the success of its predecessor, it all feels like a complete game.

Spaziogames - Marcello Paolillo - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound is a good mix of cartoon characters, graffiti and frantic racing, but nothing more.

TechRaptor - Alex Santa Maria - 4.5 / 10

Need For Speed Unbound is anything but. EA's latest is a bog-standard entry in the racing series with a muddled presentation and a limited feature set.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 6 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound is an average-at-best arcade experience. With the headlights firmly set on street racing, It’s hard to enjoy the action when the turning controls are just not quite there, but the focus on tailing, drifting and near-misses to gain NOS is highly engaging. Well, except when a random NPC driver casually rams your car out of nowhere. Still, there is an extensive amount of customisation and a few open-world activities to take part in like time-trial deliveries, speed gates and escaping cops, though not to the same extent and depth as Forza Horizon 5.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4 / 5

Beyond its unique art style, Need for Speed Unbound doesn’t do anything to reinvent the steering wheel, but it doesn’t need to. This is Need for Speed, so you know what you’re here for - fast races, cop chases, and more cars than you know what to do with. Unbound is all of that packaged in the series’ most stylish entry to date.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 9 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound is the best arcade racer of 2022, and a real statement from EA and Criterion. Why it's snuck out with so little fanfare will be one of the mysteries of the year.

Twinfinite - Jake Su - 3.5 / 5

Put that unfairness together with the annoying tendencies of the cops in Need for Speed Unbound, and the entire experience is full of peaks and valleys that curtail the progress that this game is supposed to be making. Beyond its art style that stands tall on its own, Need for Speed Unbound feels less like an innovation and more like a new body kit installed on an old engine. When the competition is already miles ahead, what this series needed was a nitrous boost of epic proportions, but sadly, it doesn’t seem like it will ever catch up.

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 7.5 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound is a fun racer with some new event types and an unusual yet undeniably attractive visual style. However, it doesn't do a ton to set itself apart from other racers that are currently out there and its story mode can be quite limiting.

Washington Post - Michael Czar - Unscored

In the end, “Need for Speed Unbound” is a street racer simulator that nails what it sets out to do. The style that you can bring to the racetrack goes from you to your car and even the comic-book graphics you summon with your racing skills. At the same time, it doesn’t feel arcade-y; it still feels like a beautiful racing game. It doesn’t sacrifice style for substance, or vice versa. It just brings one of the best racing experiences of the year.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 7.5 / 10

Need for Speed Unbound is the franchise’s best entry in a decade, although the competition for that title wasn't particularly stiff. The game offers polished tech, good (if slightly dated) open-world design, and a varied array of events and challenges, but still lags behind the current open-world racer pack leaders. The fantasy of becoming an underground racing champ is also hampered by a restrictive, ill-considered progression system. Nostalgic fans will find plenty to like here, and more general players might want to consider a test drive once the game is marked down, but “need” may be a strong word to attach to Criterion’s latest.

Windows Central - Cole Martin - 3.5 / 5

Criterion has managed to create a vibrant, beautiful, high octane Need for Speed entry that dares to breathe new life into a franchise that desperately needed it.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 85%

A startling return to form for EA's flagship racing franchise, Need for Speed Unbound offers an enjoyable open-world, with challenging yet gratifying racing, and an infectious sense of gritty urban style.

gameranx - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

General consensus from reviewers and players seems to be that this is a step in the right direction and a bit of a return to form, but some leftover baggage from the other recent entries, like the weird story stuff the OP mentions.

I played the trial on pc and was surprised since my only impression at that point was this thread based on Series S, that it looks very nice. Not quite Horizon 5 but the cars and lighting do look great here. And the city parts are nicer since it’s like real buildings and streets in scale not the little studio stage looking Forza ones.

You can just skip all the story junk and the little flair while wasted by not going all the way and silly still looks kinda fun at times. 

The driving feels good fast and arcadey but the first cars are kinda junk so i need to play more and upgrade. Crashes feel nice and high impact.

Remember you have access to 10 hours of this free if you have Gamepass Ultimate.

@XxEvil AshxX have you come around on this game more, maybe after playing on SX? 

It’s the first nfs game I’ve liked in a lonnnng time. The characters are all bad but the story is at least not full on “talk about pokémon only” so I’m even kinda paying attention (this is not to say it’s good!) and the flair looks damn good at least sometimes at night with hdr. 

The gameplay loop though seems pretty solid, the racing is fast and exciting, it looks fantastic on pc (i’m assuming on SX too) and i’ve had no bugs or issues.

This just needs a crash mode now and we will be back to EA having a solid 8+ racer.

Downsides so far are that easy isn’t quite as easy as I’d like, I haven’t gotten first place yet in a race, usually I’m third with a couple second place wins. 

Im hoping that improves with my other complaint of the initial car being a clunker and you not getting to get an all new car for too long. The ride I just used felt real nice.

I can’t get better than 3rd. I got close to 2nd once when the car in front got stuck behind a 18 wheeler but as soon as it got free, it rocketed past. Unsure if it was some rubber banding going on. It’s also weird that the game predicts your finish. I am always predicted to be 3rd. I am guessing that’s my ceiling until I unlock more stuff. Game didn’t predict that I will bail on it! Gotcha

The constant banter is awful. This trend in gaming needs to die. 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I can’t get better than 3rd. I got close to 2nd once when the car in front got stuck behind a 18 wheeler but as soon as it got free, it rocketed past. Unsure if it was some rubber banding going on. It’s also weird that the game predicts your finish. I am always predicted to be 3rd. I am guessing that’s my ceiling until I unlock more stuff. Game didn’t predict that I will bail on it! Gotcha

The constant banter is awful. This trend in gaming needs to die. 

Play it on your laptop streaming to your deck with the volume muted while you watch tv and maybe you’ll dig it more!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Play it on your laptop streaming to your deck with the volume muted while you watch tv and maybe you’ll dig it more!

I rented it for the XSX. I can try to stream it to the deck but I am not sure I want to play more of it. While I think the game is ok, I was hoping for some Burnout action. The game doesn’t have it. 

7 minutes ago, Brian said:

I rented it for the XSX. I can try to stream it to the deck but I am not sure I want to play more of it. While I think the game is ok, I was hoping for some Burnout action. The game doesn’t have it. 

Maybe they could dlc a crash mode into it ^_^

17 hours ago, stepee said:

@XxEvil AshxX have you come around on this game more, maybe after playing on SX? 

It’s the first nfs game I’ve liked in a lonnnng time. The characters are all bad but the story is at least not full on “talk about pokémon only” so I’m even kinda paying attention (this is not to say it’s good!) and the flair looks damn good at least sometimes at night with hdr. 

The gameplay loop though seems pretty solid, the racing is fast and exciting, it looks fantastic on pc (i’m assuming on SX too) and i’ve had no bugs or issues.

This just needs a crash mode now and we will be back to EA having a solid 8+ racer.

Downsides so far are that easy isn’t quite as easy as I’d like, I haven’t gotten first place yet in a race, usually I’m third with a couple second place wins. 

Im hoping that improves with my other complaint of the initial car being a clunker and you not getting to get an all new car for too long. The ride I just used felt real nice.

I only played through the 10-hr trial. My problem wasn't with racing, that was quality (though Ghost games infatuated with rubber band mechanics). My experience on the X softened me a bit, though.

I'm surprised with all the raves this game was getting, no one has mentioned the pop-in. There were areas where the road was literally popping in in front of me. You can see it in my video. Was there maybe a day one patch that fixed it, that I didn't get to experience?

EA's perception of car culture still annoys me. There's no patch for that.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...

I fucking hate this game. It’s such a frustrating game because I like it too much to not keep playing it but I hate it too much to buy it. So i’ve been pacing out this 10hr trial but now Im near the end and not sure what to do. I love playing the game but fuck why is it such a damn difficult grind. They made this great racer and just ruined it. It looks way too damn good that I’ll probably just have to buy it but fuck it pisses me off. Hm I should look into cheats actually since Im on pc! Maybe I can save the dev from itself and fix it.

The game at night at 6k/100-120fps on oled is just fuckkkkk

fuck.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

I fucking hate this game. It’s such a frustrating game because I like it too much to not keep playing it but I hate it too much to buy it. So i’ve been pacing out this 10hr trial but now Im near the end and not sure what to do. I love playing the game but fuck why is it such a damn difficult grind. They made this great racer and just ruined it. It looks way too damn good that I’ll probably just have to buy it but fuck it pisses me off. Hm I should look into cheats actually since Im on pc! Maybe I can save the dev from itself and fix it.

The game at night at 6k/100-120fps on oled is just fuckkkkk

fuck.

Those are the worst games, imo - the games that are juuuuust fun enough to keep you playing, but you hate yourself the whole time.

4 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Those are the worst games, imo - the games that are juuuuust fun enough to keep you playing, but you hate yourself the whole time.

Lol yeah, it really is. I think here I enjoy just driving around and the odd event I can get up to third place in but then hit the main races and it’s just jacked up. And it’s this vicious cycle.

It’s crazy, you have to be perfect to get third place even. Like you have to go full speed and not crash and also nail every drift and turn just to barely skirt by at third place. And I’ve upgraded my car to A from B now but it didn’t matter because now it just doesn’t let me do the B class races and the A class races are the same difficulty now.

It’s like a fucking troll. If it keeps doing this loop and never lets you be as fast as the other cars I don’t get what the point is. Seriously what the hell were they thinking. I’m playing on easy.