I want a good chef's knife

CastlevaniaNut18

I'm rather partial of Messermeister's knives. I have a few of them. I find they hold their edge really well and be comfortable in the hand while being pretty reasonably priced. I think I bought my 8" chef's knife for like $150 some four years ago.

Chefs-Knife_Lifestyle_1200x628_415416c1-
WWW.MESSERMEISTER.COM

Get culinary knife sets & kitchen knives from Messermeister. Handcrafted in Solingen, Germany. Knife storage, cook tools, and more. FREE shipping on select orders.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I don't know what your definition of expensive is, but I've been using Dalstrong knives for a while, and they've been great. Their knives are $75-$125ish depending on the knife, and they've been awesome. Good quality steel, heavy (the weight of the blade matters just as much if not more than how sharp the edge is), and I haven't regretted using them.

49 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't know what your definition of expensive is, but I've been using Dalstrong knives for a while, and they've been great. Their knives are $75-$125ish depending on the knife, and they've been awesome. Good quality steel, heavy (the weight of the blade matters just as much if not more than how sharp the edge is), and I haven't regretted using them.

I was thinking $150 would be my hard ceiling. I don't mind paying for something that's good quality that'll last me for life.

30 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I was thinking $150 would be my hard ceiling. I don't mind paying for something that's good quality that'll last me for life.

Messermeister has a few knives within that range. Their custom line is $100 for the 8" chef's. I, personally, went with the Meridian Elite for $150 because it was their cheapest 8" chef's with an integrated, heelless bolster. That's just personal preference. I find knives more comfortable to hold when it's a smooth, single piece from the blade to bolster and then find them easier to use and sharpen when the bolster doesn't extend all the way down to the heel.

Beyond that, my only rules for kitchen knives is that I really need them to have a full tang with pins. It really helps them last longer and be better balanced.

Get one of those Nakiri knifes

christopher-kimball-for-henckels-interna
STORE.177MILKSTREET.COM

I designed this Japanese-style vegetable knife, or nakiri, with Henckels International. Its cutting edge measures 6.5 inches and is 2 inches high, half the height of a Chinese cleaver; the deeper blade makes it easier to rest the flat side of the blade against the knuckles while slicing, for comfort and safety. The high-carbon stainless steel blade is well balanced; its edges are expertly honed and require little maintenance other than...

A good question to ask yourself in the beginning is if you want a German style knife or a Japanese style knife. If you have an Amazon account, it’s easy to try both and return the one you don’t like. 

For Japanese style, MAC is the brand I like. This knife is ridiculous:

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Knife-Professional-Hollow-8-Inch/dp/B000N5H2XU

In the upper end of what you were willing to spend, but there is no reason why this won’t last you for the rest of your life. There’s a slightly higher chance of chipping it supposedly because Japanese steeper is thinner (and sharper) but I’m super clumsy and it’s never happened to me.

I also do have a German style knife but it was a gift. The company is called Baron Cutlery. They are from NJ and they don’t even have a functioning website (just Instagram). I absolutely love the knife I have though. I sharpen it once like a year and I’m good.

But something bigger brand would be the classic Wusthof. Serious Eats loves this knife:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

You’ll also want to get a sharpening stone and a honing steel rod. The sharpening stone is literally there to use once a year or every 9 months. The honing steel rod is you can use each time you cut stuff and you’ll notice a difference with a honed knife.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Get one of those Nakiri knifes

christopher-kimball-for-henckels-interna
STORE.177MILKSTREET.COM

I designed this Japanese-style vegetable knife, or nakiri, with Henckels International. Its cutting edge measures 6.5 inches and is 2 inches high, half the height of a Chinese cleaver; the deeper blade makes it easier to rest the flat side of the blade against the knuckles while slicing, for comfort and safety. The high-carbon stainless steel blade is well balanced; its edges are expertly honed and require little maintenance other than...

How do you like a nakiri? I don't have much experience with them. Closest I get is my Chinese vegetable cleaver. I guess they're used about the same way, only with a blade that's like 2" wider. I think I prefer the more curved European blade for cutting up meat. I say that, but I also have a 6" honesuki. It's a single-sided blade that's razor sharp and cuts along the bone like butter. I keep mine at like a 9° angle. I know those are sold for deboning a chicken, but I also find they're perfect for deboning, say, a pork shoulder.

50 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

How do you like a nakiri? I don't have much experience with them. Closest I get is my Chinese vegetable cleaver. I guess they're used about the same way, only with a blade that's like 2" wider. I think I prefer the more curved European blade for cutting up meat. I say that, but I also have a 6" honesuki. It's a single-sided blade that's razor sharp and cuts along the bone like butter. I keep mine at like a 9° angle. I know those are sold for deboning a chicken, but I also find they're perfect for deboning, say, a pork shoulder.

Haven't tried it, but would like one. Seems nifty.

I personally like using a knife with a bit more curve on the blade. But that's just me. Use whatever feels the most comfortable. I used to use a Chinese style cleaver for basically everything, so I'm used to using really heavy knives. I feel weird with regular small chef knives.

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Personally a fan of all things Wustof as well, they're exceptional knives. That being said however, I would argue the point of just obtaining a chef's knife, paring knife, maybe a boning knife if you need it and then just focus on a solid tri-stone system to keep them sharp.

I pretty much just use a serrated knife and a cleaver and that's it.

Point being, though, just get one or two solid knives that you feel comfortable with and keep them sharp and you don't need a ton of different knives. I used a santoku knife for a long time, then I started using a Chinese cleaver, now the knife I use is kind of somewhere between the two and I love it. I use it for everything from chopping bone to pairing apples.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I was just browsing through a Consumer Reports the other day and saw this. There was another page that had maybe six or so other options but they all had a con to them.

lAdQAmA.jpeg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Feel is big for me. I like Wustof knives, but they mostly have bolster that go all the way down to the heel.

599.jpg

Some people do like to hold their knives that way and I'm sure it's maybe the proper way to hold a knife, but I do like the feel of no heel there. Also, I cannot overstate how much easier it is to sharpen a knife without the bolster heel.

MM36868S_1.jpg

All just personal preference at the end of the day, though.

On 10/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, Joe said:

A good question to ask yourself in the beginning is if you want a German style knife or a Japanese style knife. If you have an Amazon account, it’s easy to try both and return the one you don’t like. 

For Japanese style, MAC is the brand I like. This knife is ridiculous:

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Knife-Professional-Hollow-8-Inch/dp/B000N5H2XU

In the upper end of what you were willing to spend, but there is no reason why this won’t last you for the rest of your life. There’s a slightly higher chance of chipping it supposedly because Japanese steeper is thinner (and sharper) but I’m super clumsy and it’s never happened to me.

I also do have a German style knife but it was a gift. The company is called Baron Cutlery. They are from NJ and they don’t even have a functioning website (just Instagram). I absolutely love the knife I have though. I sharpen it once like a year and I’m good.

But something bigger brand would be the classic Wusthof. Serious Eats loves this knife:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

You’ll also want to get a sharpening stone and a honing steel rod. The sharpening stone is literally there to use once a year or every 9 months. The honing steel rod is you can use each time you cut stuff and you’ll notice a difference with a honed knife.

Thanks, I’m gonna order one of these I think. Just for the ease of Amazon returns. 
 I’ve got a sharpening stone, but the one time I tried to use it, I swear I scraped the flat of the blade. It was just on a smaller pocket knife, though, so no real loss. I need to look up some demonstration videos first, lol. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Thanks, I’m gonna order one of these I think. Just for the ease of Amazon returns. 
 I’ve got a sharpening stone, but the one time I tried to use it, I swear I scraped the flat of the blade. It was just on a smaller pocket knife, though, so no real loss. I need to look up some demonstration videos first, lol. 

If you don’t have a really expensive knife, pull through sharpeners are fine. They got shit on and some are trash, but there are good ones out there. 

if you have a stone? It can be helpful to use a sharpie or something to draw a thin line along the edge so when you’re sharpening you can be sure you’re getting all the edges and not going too crazy with the angles. 

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I have a few scuff marks on my knife from the first time I used the stone. Well more than a few lol. Only way to get better is with practice!

5 hours ago, Joe said:

I have a few scuff marks on my knife from the first time I used the stone. Well more than a few lol. Only way to get better is with practice!

The first knife I practiced on looks like I took aim at it with a sandblaster, it's terrible. The handle is kinda broken too, so it was a good beater to learn on.

This dude makes his own knives and I'm tempted to get a damascus (I'm apparently that guy) and a nakiri from him.

• 4 weeks later...