Trying to decide what to play after I beat Forbidden West

best3444

Which is the better game?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I play next?

• Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    • Psychonauts 2

I am kind of surprised that I'm closing in on the end of Forbidden West because I have only played 16 hours. 

I own both Psychonauts 2 and Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart. I'm not the biggest fan of cartoon type visuals but both of these games are must plays from what I have read. 

Those that played both, which should I tackle first? Or should I not play them at all. :p

I also have Demon Souls remake on PS5 ready to play too. But that intimidates the hell out of me.

Psyconauts 2 is prime Double Fine humor and wit.  If you like what they’ve produced before, you’ll love it.  As an open world 3D platformer, it has its great moments, but a bit too much window dressing IMO.  Especially by the end.

Haven’t played the new Ratchet, but that’s going to be a lot more combat and action focused.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Psyconauts 2 is prime Double Fine humor and wit.  If you like what they’ve produced before, you’ll love it.  As an open world 3D platformer, it has its great moments, but a bit too much window dressing IMO.  Especially by the end.

Haven’t played the new Ratchet, but that’s going to be a lot more combat and action focused.

Well Ratchet appeals to me more. I've played 30 minutes of it when I got my PS5 and was blown away by the visuals. The gameplay was fun, too. 

I watched 4 video reviews of Psychonauts 2 and the art direction is extremely odd. BUT, it got amazing reviews and they praise the humor and uniqueness of it. I never played the first one so would that effect my enjoyment for part 2?

38 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I watched 4 video reviews of Psychonauts 2 and the art direction is extremely odd. BUT, it got amazing reviews and they praise the humor and uniqueness of it. I never played the first one so would that effect my enjoyment for part 2?

Not at all.  The game largely focuses on different characters than the first one.  A lot of QoL improvements as well.

Psyconauts games are like trippy carnival rides.  If you like the idea of a game constantly trying to reinvent itself, you’ll dig it.

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Not at all.  The game largely focuses on different characters than the first one.  A lot of QoL improvements as well.

Psyconauts games are like trippy carnival rides.  If you like the idea of a game constantly trying to reinvent itself, you’ll dig it.

Ok, thanks. I will definitely play it after I beat a few games I have lined up. 

6 hours ago, stepee said:

True, it’s one of the few actual current gen looking games, kinda silly not to play this asap.

I have started up Ratchet and played for an hour. I'm mixing this in with Forbidden West and it's been good. When I initially fired Ratchet up I was taken back at how fuckin crisp and detailed the game is. The grass looks stunning. 😆 

The characters are great, too. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ratchet is a cool character and this is the first time I've actually played one of these games.

This is the first Ratchet & Clank game that you’ve played? They were some of my favorite games on PS2, and I’m really looking forward to playing this one when I get a PS5.

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

This is the first Ratchet & Clank game that you’ve played? They were some of my favorite games on PS2, and I’m really looking forward to playing this one when I get a PS5.

Yea, I never was interested in the games. But this looks like a Pixar movie so it is amazing to play. 

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It took 3 more Playstations but we finally have our Toy Story-like graphics!

Absolutely. I just played more and holy hell does it look amazing. But yea, I remember the Pixar visual debacle right before the PS2 was launching.

This looks stunning at every corner but I still think Forbidden West has the best overall visuals on PS5 now. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I never was interested in the games. But this looks like a Pixar movie so it is amazing to play. 

I have no doubt that the visuals add to the experience, but the Ratchet & Clank games looked pretty good on PS2 for their time as well. It was mainly their wacky cast of characters, varied planets that you went to and fun shooting/platforming gameplay that made them so entertaining. It’s been a while since I’ve played a R&C game, so I’m really looking forward to playing Rift Apart especially knowing that it’s amazing looking.

• Halal 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, Phaseknox said:

I have no doubt that the visuals add to the experience, but the Ratchet & Clank games looked pretty good on PS2 for their time as well. It was mainly their wacky cast of characters, varied planets that you went to and fun shooting/platforming gameplay that made them so entertaining. It’s been a while since I’ve played a R&C game, so I’m really looking forward to playing Rift Apart especially knowing that it’s amazing looking.

Literally bought a PS3 just for R&C {and MLB2k The Show} as it was by far the best "LOOKING" game I had ever seen, gameplay wise it was also up there as very memorable and quickly became some of my favorite games to play! I'm really not a fan of cartoonish looking games, but R&C are just simply amazing and are wonderful to play though. I have the new R&C on PS5 and haven't even fired it up as of yet. I'm pretty well set up for a long cold winter. I still have all of the AAA games on the PS5 and Series X just waiting for me to make the time for them...... 

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

I beat Forbidden West so I think I'm going to play Ratchet and Clank over Psychonauts 2. I'm just conflicted between this and A Plagues Tale requiem. 

Those that played both, what do you recommend?

I've decided to play both A Plagues Tale Requiem and Psychonauts 2. 

Reason being, is I heard playing Plagues can only be done in small bits. Once I do that, I'll hop right into Psychonauts 2 which is on the same console for me. It will be convenient that way.

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I've decided to play both A Plagues Tale Requiem and Psychonauts 2. 

Reason being, is I heard playing Plagues can only be done in small bits. Once I do that, I'll hop right into Psychonauts 2 which is on the same console for me. It will be convenient that way.

Play Modern Warfare 2 at your parents house 

guy way GIF

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Just wanted to say Psychonauts 2 is extremely unique and entertaining. The writing, dialogue, and imagination is brilliant. 

It's a great game to go a long with Gotham and eventually A Plagues Tale Requiem. 

Told you that long ago. It was the best game of 2021 

Psychonauts 2 is fantastic.

I typically love Ratchet & Clank games but I kinda fell off Rift Apart pretty fast. It just didn't do anything to really grab me. It felt less creative than Psychonauts and like it was leaning too much on its visuals. But that could also be that because when I played it it was buggy as hell, a lot of which has since been cleaned up.

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Psychonauts 2 is fantastic.

I typically love Ratchet & Clank games but I kinda fell off Rift Apart pretty fast. It just didn't do anything to really grab me. It felt less creative than Psychonauts and like it was leaning too much on its visuals. But that could also be that because when I played it it was buggy as hell, a lot of which has since been cleaned up.

No, you're correct. I recently played Ratchet after it got cleaned up and it just didn't grab me. Psychonauts 2 on the other hand grabbed my attention basically immediately. I never played the first one so it's unlike anything I've ever played. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Completely disagree. It was easily better than Dread for me, which I also enjoyed quite a bit.

Dread’s final hours put it over the top for me.  It’s not my favorite Metroid, but it’s an expansion of what went right in Zero Mission.  That’s hard to beat.

With Psyconuats 2, it just felt like Schaffer got a bit too overzealous about his writing carrying the game.