Majority of Democrats want Biden replaced in 2024

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Too late for Biden to be the next FDR by having an amazing legacy, but not too late for Biden to die in office. 

I kinda feel bad for him. Feeling 2016 was his fault (ya i could see him beating trump), his age, and losing his son. He is really hamstrung by our rotting system. Having said that he is a centrist neolib so his ideology isn't up to the task of turning the US around.

• Halal 1

Age is hugely part of this because shit, the man is 79. I know part of it is blaming Biden for worldwide oil prices and global inflation, but when you compound it with his being old, it's a lot easier to say you want a replacement in 2024.

Build Back Better getting stopped last year was one of the most disappointing things I've witnessed considering how much good it would have done, but the fact that Biden was the one who proposed it means quite a bit since his career was mostly being a centrist.

I've been impressed with what he's been able to get done with the slimmest of margins in both chambers. Most number of judges of any president's first years (which is absolutely crucial to combat conservative fuckery), a very good Supreme Court justice, a big infrastructure bill that finally pumps long-awaited money into roads/bridges/airports and supercharges the electric network cross-country so it's much easier to charge your car, a big COVID relief bill (and both this and the infrastructure law are far more ambitious than Obama's infrastructure proposals and stimulus in 09), long-awaited USPS reform (that also comes with more electric vehicles on the fleet), actual gun legislation for the first time in 30 years, a law ending forced arbitration for sexual assault/misconduct, soon a huge influx in semiconductor chips to make all the shit that got more expensive because of global supply issues and Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and quite possibly a law codifying same sex marriage. These aren't abstract things; they're great progress affecting people. And I still think, with the number of times he's postponed lifting the moratorium on collecting student loans, he may very well forgive a huge chunk of that debt this year. 

To my eyes, much of the disappointment comes from expectations. Despite Biden's reputation, he proposed some big things, and news reports showed he really saw potential in planning big and being the 21st century FDR. I don't know if his approval ratings would have improved significantly with inflation as it is right now, but among his base, I think he would have been much more popular if he could have gotten infrastructure and Build Back Better signed back-to-back as planned. Infrastructure is a big deal even if it didn't move the needle with Americans. Or maybe it did and his approval rating would be even worse without it. :-X

Unfortunately, as much as we would have loved him to be FDR in relation to New Deal levels of progress, he didn't have FDR's Congressional majorities where you'd be forgiven for thinking the Republican Party was about to die at the time. I don't blame people for disappointment, but I hope we realize that much of this stuff we've argued needed to be done for ages, all with very few votes to spare. 

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

I kinda feel bad for him. Feeling 2016 was his fault (ya i could see him beating trump), his age, and losing his son. He is really hamstrung by our rotting system. Having said that he is a centrist neolib so his ideology isn't up to the task of turning the US around.

I'm not gonna hold it against him that he didn't feel like he could commit to campaigning full time since his son just died, but who the hell is blaming him for 2016?!

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Age is hugely part of this because shit, the man is 79. I know part of it is blaming Biden for worldwide oil prices and global inflation, but when you compound it with his being old, it's a lot easier to say you want a replacement in 2024.

Build Back Better getting stopped last year was one of the most disappointing things I've witnessed considering how much good it would have done, but the fact that Biden was the one who proposed it means quite a bit since his career was mostly being a centrist.

I've been impressed with what he's been able to get done with the slimmest of margins in both chambers. Most number of judges of any president's first years (which is absolutely crucial to combat conservative fuckery), a very good Supreme Court justice, a big infrastructure bill that finally pumps long-awaited money into roads/bridges/airports and supercharges the electric network cross-country so it's much easier to charge your car, a big COVID relief bill (and both this and the infrastructure law are far more ambitious than Obama's infrastructure proposals and stimulus in 09), long-awaited USPS reform (that also comes with more electric vehicles on the fleet), actual gun legislation for the first time in 30 years, a law ending forced arbitration for sexual assault/misconduct, soon a huge influx in semiconductor chips to make all the shit that got more expensive because of global supply issues and Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and quite possibly a law codifying same sex marriage. These aren't abstract things; they're great progress affecting people. And I still think, with the number of times he's postponed lifting the moratorium on collecting student loans, he may very well forgive a huge chunk of that debt this year. 

To my eyes, much of the disappointment comes from expectations. Despite Biden's reputation, he proposed some big things, and news reports showed he really saw potential in planning big and being the 21st century FDR. I don't know if his approval ratings would have improved significantly with inflation as it is right now, but among his base, I think he would have been much more popular if he could have gotten infrastructure and Build Back Better signed back-to-back as planned. Infrastructure is a big deal even if it didn't move the needle with Americans. Or maybe it did and his approval rating would be even worse without it. :-X

Unfortunately, as much as we would have loved him to be FDR in relation to New Deal levels of progress, he didn't have FDR's Congressional majorities where you'd be forgiven for thinking the Republican Party was about to die at the time. I don't blame people for disappointment, but I hope we realize that much of this stuff we've argued needed to be done for ages, all with very few votes to spare. A lot

I'm not gonna hold it against him that he didn't feel like he could commit to campaigning full time since his son just died, but who the hell is blaming him for 2016?!

One of the articles that was posted here says people near him would comment that he blames himself for 2016.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

From what I recall from a few years ago, he blames himself for not running in 2016, knowing Clinton's "liabilities".

6 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

One of the articles that was posted here says people near him would comment that he blames himself for 2016.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I recall from a few years ago, he blames himself for not running in 2016, knowing Clinton's "liabilities".

Ahhhh!

Yes, you're right. And knowing that, the first sentence you typed is a lot clearer for me.

I can see why he thinks that, but... I dunno first if he would have won the primary, nor am I confident that he would have been completely committed to the campaign with Beau Biden's tragedy hovering over him.