Scavengers Reign (HBO Max) - adult animated sci-fi series to release in 2023

HBO Max has ordered the adult animated sci-fi drama Scavengers Reign to series. Set to premiere next year, the series is co-created and executive produced by animators, writers, and directors Joe Bennett and Charles Huettner. It’s from Titmouse and will be unveiled at the Annecy Animation Festival.

Scavengers Reign is about the surviving crew of a damaged deep space freighter who are stranded on a beautiful yet unforgiving planet. They begin to learn the true nature of this planet as they try to survive long enough to escape or be rescued.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first three episodes (of 12 episodes for the season, not sure if this is a miniseries or not) dropped last week and holy shit I just finished episode one and it is fucking fantastic. Everyone who reads this, stop what you're doing and go watch at least the first episode asap. Try to go in knowing as little as possible (as I did) and you will be blown away. This is (so far, just one episode in but you can tell this is gonna be good) beautiful, surreal, badass with amazing animation, cinematography, direction and music. Watch this now, support this show (it's on HBO Max if you can get it, pirate it otherwise) and report back here. Same header image, two different articles, just a heads up. A visual animated feast for adults. @Chris- @Commissar SFLUFAN

WWW.POLYGON.COM

The key to survival is conquering oneself

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Max’s animated sci-fi saga imagines a bizarre ecosystem in which humans are the invasive species.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The first three episodes (of 12 episodes for the season, not sure if this is a miniseries or not) dropped last week and holy shit I just finished episode one and it is fucking fantastic. Everyone who reads this, stop what you're doing and go watch at least the first episode asap. Try to go in knowing as little as possible (as I did) and you will be blown away. This is (so far, just one episode in but you can tell this is gonna be good) beautiful, surreal, badass with amazing animation, cinematography, direction and music. Watch this now, support this show (it's on HBO Max if you can get it, pirate it otherwise) and report back here. Same header image, two different articles, just a heads up. A visual animated feast for adults. @Chris-

WWW.POLYGON.COM

The key to survival is conquering oneself

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Max’s animated sci-fi saga imagines a bizarre ecosystem in which humans are the invasive species.

Haven’t had a chance to watch yet but I can’t wait!

• Hype 1

Episode one was good. Super strong Nausicaä vibes.

I guess this is a mini series? It seemingly came out of nowhere. The show doesn't even have a wikipedia page... or at least, it didn't as of yesterday... which is crazy for a show like this on a HBO Max.

So are we going to get an episode a week? Are they dropping it in chunks? The lack of info on this show is kinda weird.  SEE BELOW

• Hype 1

The first three episodes of Scavengers Reign are available on Max now. Each week, the streamer will add three more, until all 12 have been released on November 9.

WWW.CARTOONBREW.COM

Check out the concept and development artwork that went into Max's 'Scavengers Reign,' debuting today.
  • Hype 1

49 minutes ago, ort said:

Episode one was good. Super strong Nausicaä vibes.

I guess this is a mini series? It seemingly came out of nowhere. The show doesn't even have a wikipedia page... or at least, it didn't as of yesterday... which is crazy for a show like this on a HBO Max.

Yeah it's been really hard to track down information on this show - and you are correct it has no Wikipedia page as every so often I'd check in the past and still no page. And dropping 3 episodes at a time is a bit surprising too, but I want more right away so I'll take it. I assume it's a miniseries/limited series and not a season 1 given the story's framing device but who knows. I'm not sure if this is an HBO Max show that is one that is susceptible to the huge animation axe that WB/HBO have been doing since the Discovery merger or not and this just happened to be finished by then so they're dumping it.

27 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

This show is fucking insane :lol:

Yeah, it's my fucking favorite kind of sci-fi weirdness (ala Raised by Wolves). The planet is truly alien and the humans can't begin to comprehend its ecosystem (though I'm impressed with what the humans have accomplished so far). We gotta drum up support for work like this. I'm also glad the show skipped the initial "learning about the planet right after we crash part", having instead already started with at least knowing the basics of the planet because a lot of time has already passed since the crash. It appears there were 5 escape pods shot out in total from the main ship Demeter 227, with one burning up in the atmosphere and another crashing in a poisonous/dangerous place that killed (or transformed?) the crew, leaving just the 3 escape pods (and 4 people and 1 robot) that we're following now in the show. One of the big questions is: what caused the crash and whose fault was it?

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

My impression so far: finally, America has its Evaganelion! 

Not quite a like for like comparison but I get what you mean in terms of psychological explorations of human characters while being weird and scifi but this is much more adult, akin to Ad Astra or Solaris than Evangelion (and I love Evangelion).

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hopefully they’re not cowards and the last episode will be complete dogshit. 

You take that back! Thee last two episodes of the TV show are such a beautiful complement to the insanity that is The End of Evangelion. All of it is amazing!

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Whoa - this is some SERIOUSLY damned good sci-fi!

Vesta Minor is easily the most "alien" world I've seen depicted in media in a very, very long time!  Hell, I cannot even begin to conceive what its evolutionary trajectory must've been like! :lol:

It's so good right? I thought you'd really dig this one. Have you seen all three episodes at this point?

Spoiler

That alien and flower light show scene man.

22 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's so good right? I thought you'd really dig this one. Have you seen all three episodes at this point?

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah - I watched all three of the first episodes last night and that sequence you spoilered was really, really beautiful and poignant.

I'm watching the episodes that were released today and this world's ecosystem is utterly fascinating, even if doesn't appear to be particularly biologically/evolutionarily coherent.  I gotta say that this planet's natural selection process must've been completely hellish!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yeah - I watched all three of the first episodes last night and that sequence you spoilered was really, really beautiful and poignant.

I'm watching the episodes that were released today and this world's ecosystem is utterly fascinating, even if doesn't appear to be particularly biologically/evolutionarily coherent.  I gotta say that this planet's natural selection process must've been completely hellish!

Nice! And I agree with you - the ecology doesn't make any sense at all but it is utterly fascinating. By that same token, perhaps it shouldn't make sense! It's a truly alien planet after all, I can see the show creators saying. And the natural selection process must indeed have truly been a shit show. Gonna watch the next three tonight!

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

The batch of three they dropped last Friday was another stellar outing (only one more batch of three episodes to go). These were very clear "middle three of the season" kind of episodes as we expand the supporting cast to include flashbacks to a previous downed vessel on the planet in the past and get a small rescue party of three from a nearby moon drilling spot to come and help Azi. The way these additions were weaved in so organically with the quest of the weird alien and Kamen to get to the Demeter 227 mining ship vs. Azi and the two others so we can continue to see all the strange things on the planet was well done.  One nice touch was that the group of two find shedded carapaces of creatures (they use one as a raft) while the actual creatures that shed those carapaces attack Azi and the rescue party while they're climbing a cliff, indicating they're all getting close to the ship and are in generally the same area now. Can't wait to see the final three once they drop this week.

There were no real surprises for me in how the final three episodes played out, but that certainly didn't lessen my enjoyment of them in the least!

This was a helluva series and I eagerly look forward to whatever the creative team comes up with next, especially since the final scene not-so-subtly suggests that there's something wider afoot!

Also, this is the short film from several years ago that served as the basis for the series:

• Hype 1

16 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There were no real surprises for me in how the final three episodes played out, but that certainly didn't lessen my enjoyment of them in the least!

This was a helluva series and I eagerly look forward to whatever the creative team comes up with next, especially since the final scene not-so-subtly suggests that there's something wider afoot!

Except for the ending, there weren't a lot of surprises, per se, but I was surprised Kamen went unpunished and the end scene stinger came out of nowhere (but looked cool, implying a religious order here) but all of it was really well executed - more people have to watch this show. I expected this show to be a limited series but it's pretty clear the show wants a season 2. The creators of the show have said they have a lot more mapped out (last question of the interview) but it depends on viewer numbers (which I'm not hopeful on). 

COLLIDER.COM

Now streaming on Max, this new series takes us to a vast planet with both incredible beauty and immense danger.

• 1 month later...

I finally caught up with this over the weekend and it was amazing. Such a delightfully and frightfully alien world is presented.

My only qualm:

Spoiler

Azi was so slow to recognize Levi as more than a robot! People are generally so quick to personify anything that her slow realization that Levi was evolving was almost weird. She's got a bi-pedal buddy that can converse with, by the time it's feeling pleasure and pain, it shouldn't be a big leap to treat it as more than a walking power tool. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt since she had spent a lot of time with identical robots and it seems like they'd basically been her tools on the ship, but still Azi, wake up and smell the humanity!

I really hope we get more of this show. I was getting some real Dune vibes at the end and I'd love to see this universe expanded on.

• Hype 1