I realized my apartment is too big

Fizzzzle

When I got the place, I was like "yes! I need a separate room for my computer and shit!"

Almost 3 months into living there, I almost never use my living room. I could have saved like $200/month if I just got a goddamn studio.

I was excited. This is my first time as an adult that I don't have roommates, so I was pumped about having my own living room with nothing but my own stuff. Turns out I don't really have any stuff anymore and I never use it. And now I'm thinking of moving to Mexico next year so I don't really want to spend money furnishing it.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Use it as a fitness room? 

I mean, I already barely turn my AC on and I live in New Orleans, so it pretty much already is a sauna.

Still means furnishing, though. If I'm moving again in 9 months, I don't really see the point.

My house is 3200 sqft and I stay in my master suite like 99% of the time, and it is like a studio apartment minus the kitchen in size. We have a lot of stuff that will go away when our kids are grown.

Our house is 2500sqft but I do feel we use most of it regularly. We turned the dining room into an office area, so a lot of time gets spent at our desktops, but we also spend a good deal of time in the game room. One spare bedroom is his work room for his projects and the other is a guest room/my library. I love reading in there. 

But without the books and video games, we could do with a smaller space. Those are just really important to us. 

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Our house is 2500sqft but I do feel we use most of it regularly. We turned the dining room into an office area, so a lot of time gets spent at our desktops, but we also spend a good deal of time in the game room. One spare bedroom is his work room for his projects and the other is a guest room/my library. I love reading in there. 

But without the books and video games, we could do with a smaller space. Those are just really important to us. 

I think I've seen pictures of your game room, but I'd also be curious to see your library, if you're willing to share! I imagine it's huge, given how much you read and post about reading! 

11 hours ago, Nokra said:

I think I've seen pictures of your game room, but I'd also be curious to see your library, if you're willing to share! I imagine it's huge, given how much you read and post about reading! 

I wouldn't say huge, but I've got several hundred books in that bedroom. I need more shelves, but IKEA keeps being out of stock, dammit.

I'll try to remember to take some photos soon. We took a bunch of stuff out of the closet last night to move an old Trinitron, so that room is kind of a mess now.

• Halal 1

I live in a one bedroom that's probably around 750 sq ft and I wind up bypassing my "living room" a lot of the time because my gaming PC is in my bedroom, so inevitably a lot of TV gets watched on the computer instead of getting set up on the plasma since it's just lower friction to get media playing on the desktop.

I don't need a ton of space, really all I need is an extra room for a WFH space that I can just not go into except to work, and enough sound isolation to set up surround sound with the main TV without getting lynched by my neighbors.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Here ya go, @Nokra. Like I said, I really need more bookshelves, if IKEA will ever get some in stock. I'd like to move the two smaller shelves to the bedroom and replace them with the larger Billy units. I keep my TBR shelves separate, so they're the ones that have the excess books stacked. Yes, I have a problem with buying more books than I can read. :p The last photo is a smaller shelf of TBR nonfiction in my bedroom. Had that shelf since I was a little kid.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Bookshelves are making me jealous. I ended up donating almost all my books. I was keeping them because I thought it'd be cool to have a stocked bookshelf but then figured I wasn't going to re-read them so why bother. Now I want them again. :/

I very inefficiently use my 2300 Sq ft house. I have a huge living room I never use because I hate the couch in there and I don’t feel like spending money to get a new one. When the pandemic started I put my home office in the kitchen by taking over the dining room table thinking I’d only need it for a couple weeks, 2+ years later it’s still there. I have a big great room that’s mostly empty outside of another dining room table but no one comes over or it’s just my dad or mom. Never figured out what to do with that room. I have a guest bedroom the cats have taken over that I clean up when anyone visits. The other bedroom is my home gym which is now nicely equipped, I need to workout more. I spend the majority of my free time in the den which was my “man cave” because it has my oled and couch I like. It’s also the smallest regular room in the house.

I should just move the man cave stuff to the living room and make the den an official office. But I’d have to move everything myself. Still need to figure out what to do with the great room. Could put a bar and a pool table in there but I just don’t have enough people coming over.