Today I will once again chase my white whale: Heston Blumenthal's roast potatoes

Chris-

These fuckers are elusive. And lest you think his written instructions provide more guidance, they do not: it still comes down to more or less guessing when each step is done, then just adding a little more time. Very easy to fuck these up.

(Full disclosure: I will not be using beef tallow because I do not have any nor do I feel like tracking it down)

They were so fucking good. He says the goal is a glass-like crust, and it really is glass-like; you might think they are super oily because of that sheen but they're not, it's a crisp, translucent crust. My next version of these are going to forgo all of the herbs, and instead drain the oil toward the end and add peppers/onions to make some home fries (using bacon fat instead of the beef tallow), then top with a runny egg. Good lord.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I need to make these.

Have you made Kenji’s roast potatoes? How do these compare?

I have not but based on his recipe, these are going to be much more crisp; Heston's technique is basically oven deep frying (to put it into perspective, his recipe calls for over three times as much oil).

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Those do look good. Do you serve them with something or just eat potatoes?

We also had roasted chicken thighs (paprika, salt, pepper, white pepper) and asparagus (light drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper). My wife made a sauce for the asparagus with caramelized onions and champagne garlic honey mustard. We didn't take pictures of those because we were too enamored with the potatoes.

• Like 3

sounds like ur just mad u didn’t get the hot chicken also I almost thought about getting the hot chicken but I saw this horrible anime weathering with you and it showed a big mac and it looked so good so i’ve been craving one since then

19 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

On a forum that talks about food as much as this one does, you are the only one who consistently posts his food pictures no matter if they look like shit or not. Nothing but respect.

Now over an hour for roasted potatoes, lol gtfo. 

What a vicious attack on me.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:11 AM, Chris- said:

I will not be using beef tallow because I do not have any nor do I feel like tracking it down

It's at Whole Foods next to the oil spray cans and stuff like that, it's not like you have to go anywhere special.