Egghead Software

stepee

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Store was legit, shame Gamestop bought them. I feel like their model would have worked better to in the mostly online world because all the game stations gave you a reason to come in.

At one point my local mall had a Gamestop (may have been a Babbage's long long ago???), a Funcoland, and a KB Games that became a Planet X. Eventually Gamestop owned all three stores. I remember one of the employees telling me people would get unhappy in one store and storm out saying "I'm going to <one of the other two>" not realizing they were all the same company. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

At one point my local mall had a Gamestop (may have been a Babbage's long long ago???), a Funcoland, and a KB Games that became a Planet X. Eventually Gamestop owned all three stores. I remember one of the employees telling me people would get unhappy in one store and storm out saying "I'm going to <one of the other two>" not realizing they were all the same company. :lol:

Yeah we had an EB, Babbage’s, and Funcoland that GS ate. Do you mean EB games though? I don’t think they bought KB ‘Toys’.

EB Games was my favorite because one time they gave me a game on Halloween (can’t remember, some horror themed pc game) and another time a copy of Gamefan for free when I was a kid and stores usually never just gave you stuff. I used to always alternate stores because I would always try to take back games to get new ones with some sorry excuse.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

EB Games was my favorite because one time they gave me a game on Halloween (can’t remember, some horror themed pc game) and another time a copy of Gamefan for free when I was a kid and stores usually never just gave you stuff. I used to always alternate stores because I would always try to take back games to get new ones with some sorry excuse.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this was definitely some actual pervert grooming you

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Suncoast had the best anime.

Suncoast was one of my favorite stores as a kid. Didn't realize until I got older how overpriced they were. One time a lady in front of me in the checkout line collapsed, hit her head on my shoe, and had a seizure. 

11 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

One time a lady in front of me in the checkout line collapsed, hit her head on my shoe, and had a seizure. 

Because of how overpriced they were?

11 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Suncoast was one of my favorite stores as a kid. Didn't realize until I got older how overpriced they were.

Basically any specialty store like that was overpriced. Suncoast, Wherehouse, etc

I remember Wherehouse had CDs for like $17 or something, probably higher.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah we had an EB, Babbage’s, and Funcoland that GS ate. Do you mean EB games though? I don’t think they bought KB ‘Toys’.

Oh yeah I forgot about KB Toys, just got that mixed up.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I remember Wherehouse had CDs for like $17 or something, probably higher.

Did any of you have The Wall music store in your areas? The mall in my area had 2 stores in the same mall which seemed odd. There really aren't many pictures on Google image of the physical stores. Just a couple people posting the blue sticker with the lifetime guarantee. 

Toys R Us had a pretty good game booth situation going on too, particularly remember playing lots of Goldeneye there. Actually for game stations set up I think maybe Sears was my favorite because it was upstairs next to the hardware department so nobody was ever there and you could just camp out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Toys R Us had a pretty good game booth situation going on too, particularly remember playing lots of Goldeneye there.

I'd walk down to the TRU and play goldeneye like every weekend. They had them hooked up to these sweet ass TVs too.

6a00d83452989a69e20115713e29b3970b-600wi
WWW.RETROTHING.COM

By the mid 90's, video games were clearly here to stay. The Samsung GXE1395 was a TV set made expressly for gaming back then, and we look at the features that make it a great gaming display.

• True 1

I think playing these games in stores back in the day is why some games have left such a large impression even if they didn’t sell as much compared to modern games. A lot of us played games we didn’t own more so back then I think. 

• 9 months later...

Egghead Software was a US-based software retailer and developer that was in operation from 1984 to 2001. The company was known for its retail stores and catalogs, which sold a wide range of software products for various platforms, including personal computers and video game consoles. Egghead Software also developed and published a number of its own software products, including educational and productivity software.

Egghead Software was acquired by Fry's Electronics in 2001 and the Egghead brand was retired. Fry's Electronics continues to operate as a retail electronics store, but it no longer sells software products under the Egghead brand. If you are looking for software products that were previously sold by Egghead Software, you may need to look for alternative retailers or try searching online. It's also possible that some of the software products developed by Egghead Software are still available from other sources.

I had Funcoland, Babbage, toysareus, EB games, blockbuster video, and other small rental stores for me as a kid. Best memories are in Funcoland. 

Blockbuster video is where I played the Nintendo 64 before it released in the US. Summer of 1996 I'd visit there every day in complete aww of Mario!

Funcoland I played RE2 and Banjo Kazooie before their release, too. 

8 hours ago, Aliana2 said:

Egghead Software was a US-based software retailer and developer that was in operation from 1984 to 2001. The company was known for its retail stores and catalogs, which sold a wide range of software products for various platforms, including personal computers and video game consoles. Egghead Software also developed and published a number of its own software products, including educational and productivity software.

Egghead Software was acquired by Fry's Electronics in 2001 and the Egghead brand was retired. Fry's Electronics continues to operate as a retail electronics store, but it no longer sells software products under the Egghead brand. If you are looking for software products that were previously sold by Egghead Software, you may need to look for alternative retailers or try searching online. It's also possible that some of the software products developed by Egghead Software are still available from other sources.

LTTP but better late then never 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

21 hours ago, Aliana2 said:

That's random as hell

21 hours ago, Aliana2 said:

Coming to us all the way from Pakistan, what a world.