One more fire in the hole: Justified is coming back

TCDJUST_EC240-H-2022.jpg?w=1024
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The actor is set to return as U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens in 'Justified: City Primeval' miniseries.

Confirming last year’s reports of a possible revival, FX announced Friday a new show titled Justified: City Primeval.

The story is inspired by Elmore Leonard’s novel City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit.

Here’s the storyline: “Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind. A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit. There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell’s lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.”

14 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fantastic show. My wife will be happy (Timothy Oliphant is her wet dream). Also the plot is just Predator 2, not that I'm complaining.

Hell yeah. She's a keeper. Your lady has good taste. I'm as hetero as a man can be, but if I saw T-phant in a club scene, I'd try grinding on him. He's one fella that could resurrect my Deadwood and the other is @Pretzel

• True 1

• 1 year later...

So the first two episodes of eight dropped last Tuesday, I finally got around to seeing them and man is it nice to have Timothy Olyphant back as Raylan Givens. So many of the creative team from the original show are back doing this limited series (or, if it does well, hopefully we get more seasons) so it's like nothing's changed even though 8 years have passed, the show is firing on all cylinders. Adding Boyd Holbrook to this world is perfect casting. I was surprised to see no one had posted about it now that the show is out. Anyone else watching?

Timothy Olyphant is my bigges... ...only man crush. I can't wait to get into it. Plus, it features two of the local Fox (Detroit) news reporters that I watch all the time.

Edit: lol. Didn't realize that I posted about Timothy Olyphant early last year. Now I feel weird 😕 

• Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

So the first two episodes of eight dropped last Tuesday, I finally got around to seeing them and man is it nice to have Timothy Olyphant back as Raylan Givens. So many of the creative team from the original show are back doing this limited series (or, if it does well, hopefully we get more seasons) so it's like nothing's changed even though 8 years have passed, the show is firing on all cylinders. Adding Boyd Holbrook to this world is perfect casting. I was surprised to see no one had posted about it now that the show is out. Anyone else watching?

I've watched the first episode <3

• Hugs 1

Third episode dropped last night, another great one, particularly in deepening the relationship between Raylan and his daughter (played by Timothy Olyphant's real life daughter), making her more than just a teenage trope/irritating hanger on character. There's clearly going to be a lot more that happens given the case seems solved but we have 5 episodes left.

Episode 4 dropped last night - another table setting episode but tension is definitely ramping up.

“I know you have come here to get me to compel Skender to tell you who has done this so the police can arrest and serve justice as you see fit. Of course, that justice is really no justice at all. It is only the satisfaction of a mandate for the appearance of order. But order and justice, they are not the same thing. If I wanted to restore order, I could, of course, instruct Skender to cooperate. But I am not interested in order. Justice, however, justice is meted out in accordance with the action it remedies. And in this case, justice requires more than the law is willing or able to provide.”

Show is firing on all cylinders.

43 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

How has it been so far? Does it stand up to the original run?

It doesn't quite have the personality of Harlan that permeated the main series run, which I do miss (Detroit, which this season takes place in, feels mostly non-descript), but given this whole show happened because while shooting Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Quentin Tarantino (an avowed Elmore Leonard fan, hence his own adaptation of Elmore Leonard's story "Rum Punch" as his film Jackie Brown) talked to Timothy Olyphant on set about adapting the Raylan Givens story "City Primeval" which sees Raylan Givens a fish out of water, on his own without any of the cast from the previous series, dealing with a whole new case, which is what we get, an adaptation of that story. In those senses I missed the "lived in" feeling the main series became after season 2, which this doesn't have. It feels a lot more episodic and procedural but still good.

That being said, it's more Justified. Still more great supporting characters, great dialogue and interplay between the characters and a villain who you enjoy watching but also hate immensely. It's definitely better than Dexter: New Blood was, and a little less good (so far) than the recent Party Down revival (which was great). It's similar to the Deadwood movie revival - a great movie with some strong highs, but also just not quite the lightning in a bottle the 3 seasons of the main show were (another Timothy Olyphant show lol). 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched all the episodes out (6 so far) and it definitely has a filler or side story feel to it. While I am glad to have an excuse to watch Timothy stare down bad guys and make the ladies swoon, I don’t find the story or the setting to be very compelling.  The characters and performances have been good enough to keep my engaged. 

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Brian said:

I watched all the episodes out (6 so far) and it definitely has a filler or side story feel to it. While I am glad to have an excuse to watch Timothy stare down bad guys and make the ladies swoon, I don’t find the story or the setting to be very compelling.  The characters and performances have been good enough to keep my engaged. 

Yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. It took two seasons of episodic and kind of mild quality seasons of Justified until season 3 it came into its own. But it continued to use characters established in the episodic first two seasons which gave the characters a "lived in" quality. You just can't achieve that in a one season limited series, but the show tries.

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, this is exactly where I'm at. It took two seasons of episodic and kind of mild quality seasons of Justified until season 3 it came into its own. But it continued to use characters established in the episodic first two seasons which gave the characters a "lived in" quality. You just can't achieve that in a one season limited series, but the show tries.

Detroit as a setting gives it a weird CBS cop procedural feel to it that is hard to shake for me.  I think they could have done more to help establish Detroit’s identity in the show. 

• True 1

51 minutes ago, Brian said:

Detroit as a setting gives it a weird CBS cop procedural feel to it that is hard to shake for me.  I think they could have done more to help establish Detroit’s identity in the show. 

Yeah, I agree, as I said earlier it's very nondescript compared to Harlan or Miami. The content is strong, as are the characters and performances and writing but that part is definitely missing.

Just got into this and I'm hooked. Only an episode and a half in, though. Raylan is still too cool. Living so close to Detroit all my life, everytime it flashed on the screen I was like 'fuck, yeah!' And my kids went to the Armada Fair last week, so when 'Armada, Michigan' flashed on the screen, I was also like 'fuck, yeah!'. 

Also, that main baddie can really fill out some whitey tighties, am I right?!

• Hype 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:45 PM, Derek said:

Just got into this and I'm hooked. Only an episode and a half in, though. Raylan is still too cool. Living so close to Detroit all my life, everytime it flashed on the screen I was like 'fuck, yeah!' And my kids went to the Armada Fair last week, so when 'Armada, Michigan' flashed on the screen, I was also like 'fuck, yeah!'. 

Also, that main baddie can really fill out some whitey tighties, am I right?!

Only someone like Boyd Holbrook could pull off those tightey whiteys for sure. He must not have been thrilled to have to wear those in scene after scene. :p Now with serious consequences having been thrown down (Sweety dead, Albanians have picked up Raylan and Mansell, the murder weapon has been thrown away) the show is really picking up steam heading in to the back third of the show. Also this season is a huge indictment of the state judicial branch and the local police force of Detroit, with many having been outed as low key corrupt at this point.

On 8/9/2023 at 8:52 PM, DPCyric said:

So unfortunately I am having issues with Hulu not playing videos (but no issues with Disney).

So weirdly if I toggle a VPN on/off while starting a video it works :thinking: I'm a few episodes in now and really enjoying it. 

• Hype 1

Man, the last 10 minutes of the season (series?) finale just blew the roof off of the whole season. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it makes me hope we get more Justified now more than ever. 

Spoiler

Bringing back Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder at the end and having him escape is really cool and a lot of fun but it takes away some of the impact of the ending of the original show. I'm torn - more Justified really does require more Boyd Crowder to work, given how good but not great City Primeval has been, but somewhat undoing the perfect ending to the original TV show kind of sucks. That being said, I'm infinitely more interested in a Raylan-Boyd season of Justified than another one-off season with a bunch of new characters like we got with City Primeval, so at the same time, if we can get more Justified, that's the best version to go for. Seeing him, Dan Grant, and Willa show up in this finale just made me pine to see more of the original TV show characters in a new season.

As an ending to the City Primeval stuff, the finale was good but a lot of it just sort of happens. The stupidity of that one Albanian guy to give Skender a gun as he's hobbling to go kill Clement Mansell when Clement will clearly get the better of him was lazy writing, even if the episode addresses it by having the old Albanian leader yell at Toma. Outside of that, things played out about as expected and I think the fact this is based on an Elmore Leonard novel that doesn't have Raylan Givens in it shows here. This felt like a world Raylan was in for just a short while (the point), but as a result it's hard to get attached to anyone in just 8 episodes given the somewhat episodic nature of Justified. Boyd Holbrook was excellent as one-season villain Clement Mansell, which helped a lot. The acting and dialogue and everything was good, it was just missing that magic Justified factor.

Either way, it was a solid but not great revival season, but not bad by any means either. I'm happy it was made overall, and if we can get more now but bring it back to Harlan or Miami with more familiar characters would be great.

@Brian

@Derek

@DPCyric

@CitizenVectron

@thewhyteboar

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Finished it. It definitely felt like a crossover where Justified and Law & Order Detroit did a collaboration season together.  

It got real stupid at the end to wrap up the season. Albanians running into bullets with no guns. A hobbled man on crutches going alone.  All the deaths and resolutions had little impact for me. 

It felt the whole show was setup for the end reveal. I was more excited about than anything else that happened during the season. Having said, if they gonna go where we think they gonna go, they better do a better job with the writing. Don’t you dare ruin it with bad writing. 

If you like Justified, I think it is an easy recommend. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone else though.  

• Halal 1

This Polygon analysis probably reflects a fair amount of what @Greatoneshere and @Brian mentioned in their posts.

JCP_104_1999r.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

The Justified spinoff is a great case for levity in dark crime TV

It’s not that City Primeval is a bad show, it’s just not very fun. The original run not only cast Patton Oswalt as local constable Bob, it gave him an AK-47 for a shootout with two old codgers with hunting rifles. And then, later, when the show needed it, Bob was beaten to a pulp in an effort to break him and learn Givens’ hiding place. That high-low dramatic swing is what drew viewers into those first six seasons. If Raylan and ex-wife Winona are going to be targeted by assassins in a warehouse gunfight, it’s not about either being in actual danger. Instead, it’s a scene to set up Winona agreeing to move with Raylan to Glynco, Georgia, where he’ll quit being a marshal and take up firearms instruction instead. In Justified, shootouts are catalysts for soap opera romance, where dead hitmen hired by her other ex-husband are just part of a will-they-won’t-they love story. When a gun comes out in City Primeval, there are no faceless goons around to kick the bucket for plot advancement; it means that you’re about to witness a brutal murder.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Finished it. It definitely felt like a crossover where Justified and Law & Order Detroit did a collaboration season together.  

It got real stupid at the end to wrap up the season. Albanians running into bullets with no guns. A hobbled man on crutches going alone.  All the deaths and resolutions had little impact for me. 

It felt the whole show was setup for the end reveal. I was more excited about than anything else that happened during the season. Having said, if they gonna go where we think they gonna go, they better do a better job with the writing. Don’t you dare ruin it with bad writing. 

If you like Justified, I think it is an easy recommend. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone else though.  

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Justified crossed over with a more typical cop/detective show like Law & Order: Detroit is a good analogy. I'm happy I watched it, but I want the next season more than I thought I wanted this. :p 

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This Polygon analysis probably reflects a fair amount of what @Greatoneshere and @Brian mentioned in their posts

Yeah, I'd agree the article hits on some good points. This revival is much better than how the Dexter: New Blood one turned out, but not as good as the Deadwood movie or the Party Down revival. I'm happy it was made rather than not, so that's saying something. 

On 8/30/2023 at 1:41 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Man, the last 10 minutes of the season (series?) finale just blew the roof off of the whole season. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it makes me hope we get more Justified now more than ever. 

Reveal hidden contents

As an ending to the City Primeval stuff, the finale was good but a lot of it just sort of happens. The stupidity of that one Albanian guy to give Skender a gun as he's hobbling to go kill Clement Mansell when Clement will clearly get the better of him was lazy writing, even if the episode addresses it by having the old Albanian leader yell at Toma. Outside of that, things played out about as expected and I think the fact this is based on an Elmore Leonard novel that doesn't have Raylan Givens in it shows here. This felt like a world Raylan was in for just a short while (the point), but as a result it's hard to get attached to anyone in just 8 episodes given the somewhat episodic nature of Justified. Boyd Holbrook was excellent as one-season villain Clement Mansell, which helped a lot. The acting and dialogue and everything was good, it was just missing that magic Justified factor.

Either way, it was a solid but not great revival season, but not bad by any means either. I'm happy it was made overall, and if we can get more now but bring it back to Harlan or Miami with more familiar characters would be great.

@Brian

@Derek

@DPCyric

@CitizenVectron

@thewhyteboar

Glad they are setting that up and giving us the proper sequel.

• Hype 1