Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course [June 30, 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course [June 30, 2022] - Release Date Announcement Trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course [June 30, 2022] - Ms. Chalice Announcement Trailer
  • 3 months later...
cuphead-dlc-screenshot-1080-3-1638801407
WWW.IGN.COM

StudioMDHR had to take care of the handful of folks it found to work on Cuphead and its DLC: Delicious Last Course – around 18 developers total, and only about six animators at the height of DLC development. Even if that meant both took a very, very long time to make – over a decade, in fact.

@Commissar SFLUFAN

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Jun 30, 2022)
  • PC (Jun 30, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jun 30, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 30, 2022)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jun 30, 2022)

Publisher: StudioMDHR

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews
GameSkinny - 10 / 10

The Delicious Last Course is just about everything a fan of Cuphead could have asked for, with bosses just as and even more zany than those found in the base game.

GameGrin - 9.5 / 10

Cuphead in The Delicious Last Course is a must-play for people who enjoyed the original game. If you found Cuphead too challenging, then chances are you will still find it pretty hard even with the inclusion of Ms. Chalice and her special abilities.

XboxEra - 9.5 / 10

Ms. Chalice and the new weaponry and charms are an excellent addition to what was already a stellar package and you can even complete all of it on the simple mode for once!  Everyone should at least see if not play this expansion, it is truly wonderful

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is ultimately a very impressive release. It takes the best elements of the base game and finetunes them to incredible success. The marriage of tight gameplay and fun narrative animations in an impeccable and memorable aesthetic is undeniably powerful. The DLC may not be as long as some may want, but should your expectations remain in check, you’ll find a superb addition to an already phenomenal game.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

I wish that we got more than a few hours’ worth of stuff, but the nature of The Delicious Last Course augmenting the original game means that it’ll impact every timeless future playthrough. If you hated the game before, the DLC won’t do much to change your mind. If you loved it, you should probably pick it up immediately.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is a short yet sweet send-off for the beloved platformer, featuring plenty of depth and a rigorous challenge.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is a remarkable addition to an already superb game.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

In a year of great games, Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is one that shouts to be played loudly enough that it simply cannot be ignored.

IGN - 9 / 10

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is not just more Cuphead, it's more of the best type of Cuphead. The six new main bosses are all incredible from both a visual and design standpoint, making this DLC expansion nearly essential for any Cuphead fan.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Cuphead: The Delicious Course is excellent fan service and the perfect continuation of a game that felt almost impossible to replicate. From the new boss designs to the addition of Miss Chalice, there is so much for everyone to enjoy, whether they just want to beat the new challenges or conquer them entirely.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

It’s more Cuphead at the end of the day, but I had a great time revisiting Studio MDHR’s wonderful animated universe, testing my mettle against its villains, and feeling fist-pumping triumph all over again.

Easy Allies - 8.5 / 10

Cuphead's new DLC, The Delicious Last Course, serves an extra helping of frantic boss fights and charming style.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 85 / 100

The Delicious Last Course puts an impressive and beautiful last stroke to Cuphead, with a new "boss rush adventure" that even if it feels short, continues to exude impressive quality, with aesthetics that remain as unique and effective as they were on day one. A DLC that you will keep reminiscing about after completion.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

At long last, The Delicious Last Course is served. Its content maintains the high quality of the original game and introduces a unique story and new levels. New bosses and mechanics make this content pack worthwhile, but its short duration leaves us wanting more.

Press Start - 8.5 / 10

For Cuphead fans, The Delicious Last Course is an essential add-on adventure that more than delivers enough content for the price of admission. The art is sumptuous, the fights are fanciful, and there's effort crammed into every nook. I expect some might say The Delicious Last Course under delivers considering the time between drinks, but I'm a cup half full kind of guy.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

The Delicious Last Course is a terrific post-meal snack to close out the lengthy Cuphead buffet, hindered only by a potentially game-breaking weapon and a relatively short length that leaves you wanting more.

PC Gamer - 78 / 100

A sweet treat that recreates the old recipe with higher quality ingredients.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

If you’ve been longing for more Cuphead, then The Delicious Last Course is for you. But if you were, for whatever reason, hoping for a big shake-up in terms of gameplay or difficulty, you’re not going to find it here. Brutal but beautiful, this is simply more Cuphead, be that for better or for worse.

Ars Technica - Unscored

Last Course also includes a series of five optional battles that revolve around chess-themed bosses, though in these, all weapons and charm-based offensive abilities are disabled. You can only defeat these bosses by keeping track of flashing-pink parts of the bosses, then repeatedly colliding with those with your parry maneuver. Miss Chalice's updated parry ability makes her a great choice for this optional boss-rush sequence, but however you face it, Studio MDHR uses this parry-only restriction to execute some of the series' most memorable boss moments (even if they're a bit easier than the standard bosses).

Polygon - Unscored

If you’ve been desperate for more Cuphead, this is likely the last new content you’ll see. Thankfully it’s a hell of an encore for Cuphead, Mugman, and now, Ms. Chalice.

Spaziogames - Italian - Unscored

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is the perfect example of how to do a DLC. It's a challenging and delightful new content with brilliant boss fights and special levels suited for those who have loved the original game.

Washington Post - Unscored

Studio MDHR’s “Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course” provides players with a five-star meal. As I picked my teeth, let out a final sigh of relief and felt full from my experience, I can only hope that the DLC’s name was just a play on words — and that there’s still room left for dessert.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course [June 30, 2022] - reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally beat the DLC, secret boss, final boss as well, all the King of Games stuff. For me I am done - loved the game and experience, DLC was impeccably made as well. Cuphead can feel daunting, but once you get its rhythm down, it's a lot of fun. I do imagine you catch everything on screen if you just watch which is awesome because the art really is stunning, cause when I play I'm so zoned in I'm missing entire (irrelevant) parts of the screen. :p 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, legend said:

Finally started this up (the original game, I'll make my way to the DLC eventually I presume). It's, uh, hard :p 

But seems beatable and fair so far.

It's really about zoning out all the animated noise in any given level and memorizing the patterns of each phase of the boss. Once that's done, it becomes much easier I felt. Not easy, but definitely beatable. The DLC is a step harder but the main game prepares you enough that I didn't feel it was unreasonably hard. I imagine watching the game is more fun in some ways than playing it because I honestly never get a full view of any levels since I'm so focused on my character at all times. :p 

• Thanks 1