Do you ever wonder if you smell bad?

Fizzzzle

Like 99% of people are too nice to tell you if you do. What would your reaction be if someone said "dude, you desperately need a scrub down." 

And if you do smell bad, it's not like you'd know. You get used to your own funk. I can tell when my feet smell, but that's because I don't have to smell them most of the time.

Not really. I mean, in HS at times maybe, but my friends and I we pretty honest about that kind of stuff and it was one of those things that were bought up in conversation. With me being the fat friend of the group I was probably the one who bought it up. To this day I have never had anyone say I'm a smelly lad. If they thought I was tho, I'd prefer them to tell me. Kinda like, "hey bro, you kinda be stinky-stinky right now, might wanna get cleaned up." I would not like it if Billy whipped out his megaphone and told everyone tho. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Not really. I mean, in HS at times maybe, but my friends and I we pretty honest about that kind of stuff and it was one of those things that were bought up in conversation. With me being the fat friend of the group I was probably the one who bought it up. To this day I have never had anyone say I'm a smelly lad. If they thought I was tho, I'd prefer them to tell me. Kinda like, "hey bro, you kinda be stinky-stinky right now, might wanna get cleaned up." I would not like it if Billy whipped out his megaphone and told everyone tho. 

It's kind of like how you're infuriated when no one tells you that you have a  booger in your nose. TELL ME I HAVE A BOOGER, DAMMIT. Friends don't let friends have boogers hangin' out.

Story time! 

About 5 years ago, I was working at Target. One of the seasonal hires assigned to my department had the worst BO I've ever encountered. Like rotten eggs, Doritos, wet dog,

and sulfur from the 6th layer of hell combined. You would smell him coming from around the corner before you would see or hear him, zero exaggeration. It was so bad, I thought it had to be either a symptom of something severely medically wrong or a prank. I gave him the benefit of the doubt the first day. We all have bad days sometimes. One day the water got shut off in my apartment building with no notice, and I had to go to work without a shower. But no, it was consistent. 

After working with him for a couple days, I realized: in no scenario on Earth would I ever say anything about it to this man. Which in turn made me wonder: do I stink? Am I causing people to cartoonishly gag every time I walk into a room, and everyone is just too polite to say something? Eventually I had to confess this to one of my long time coworkers, who assured me that no, I don't smell worse than the trash compactor on a 100 degree day. I smell fine. If anything, my combination of body wash and deodorant might be a little too strong at times. 

As for Mr. Stink, he didn't last long, but he did some good for the store on the way out. The store manager, possibly the worst manager I've ever worked with, bought a bottle of cologne and dumped it on him when he was sitting in the break room one day while yelling about how he was driving away business. He filed a complaint, quit a few days later, and that incident (with multiple witnesses in the room and also caught on security cameras) was enough to finally get her fired. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

I noticed I had strong BO once. I could smell myself and my dad told me too. This went on for weeks. I showered everyday, sometimes twice to counteract the BO. Wore “clinical strength” deodorant and still nothing helped.

It turns out my birth control was causing my cortisol to rise which causes you to smell like sour BO. I got off that birth control and the smell went away and hasn’t been a problem since. 

Long story short: sometimes the stinky person *can* smell themselves 

sniff GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Biggie said:

sniff GIF

The king of gifs!

7 hours ago, Rachel said:

I noticed I had strong BO once. I could smell myself and my dad told me too. This went on for weeks. I showered everyday, sometimes twice to counteract the BO. Wore “clinical strength” deodorant and still nothing helped.

It turns out my birth control was causing my cortisol to rise which causes you to smell like sour BO. I got off that birth control and the smell went away and hasn’t been a problem since. 

Long story short: sometimes the stinky person *can* smell themselves 

I was getting bad BO under my right arm pit every day without sweating etc. I have no idea what it was from but my mom said she had the same issue when she was younger. So I bought a a 72 hour protection deodorant and it never came back. Strange though. 

I had bad armpit sweat for most of my life. You know what got rid of it? Cutting out caffeine.

I stopped drinking caffeine and my armpits dried up like the goddamn Sahara.

I know this because for some reason, maybe a year or so after I stopped drinking caffeine, I decided to chug a full rockstar. My pupils dilated, my heart raced, and most of all... pit sweat.

I'll use this as the typical soap box for me to say you don't need caffeine. I don't miss it one bit. The reason you feel like you need it before you do anything during in the day is because you're in withdrawal.

I'm certainly not one to judge people on their habits, but you don't *need* caffeine any more than I need alcohol. I've just trained my body to think it does.

I have a pretty good sense of if I am stinky, but I am also very much NOT stinky most of the time. My mother has even noted that of her five children I was always the least stinky., and kids can be terribly stinky.

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have a pretty good sense of if I am stinky, but I am also very much NOT stinky most of the time. My mother has even noted that of her five children I was always the least stinky., and kids can be terribly stinky.

I just like how you used the word "stinky" 4 times in your post. :p

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I had bad armpit sweat for most of my life. You know what got rid of it? Cutting out caffeine.

I stopped drinking caffeine and my armpits dried up like the goddamn Sahara.

I know this because for some reason, maybe a year or so after I stopped drinking caffeine, I decided to chug a full rockstar. My pupils dilated, my heart raced, and most of all... pit sweat.

I'll use this as the typical soap box for me to say you don't need caffeine. I don't miss it one bit. The reason you feel like you need it before you do anything during in the day is because you're in withdrawal.

I'm certainly not one to judge people on their habits, but you don't *need* caffeine any more than I need alcohol. I've just trained my body to think it does.

I'm conditioned to drink 1 extra strength 5 hour energy drink each morning before work. They work amazingly well but are expensive. I buy a 10 pack for $24.99 :|