Preferred stuffing/dressing of choice

SoberChef

Traditionally I prepare mine with country sausage alongside the usual onion/celery/herbs as well as a few other items such as pear, apple, dried cranberries. This year however, I am making multiple batches wherein some will have country sausage while the rest will have chorizo sausage. I know typically chorizo stuffing is made with cornbread but for me, I'm just not a cornbread kinda guy.

Just curious what are your "go to favs"?

53 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Traditionally I prepare mine with country sausage alongside the usual onion/celery/herbs as well as a few other items such as pear, apple, dried cranberries. This year however, I am making multiple batches wherein some will have country sausage while the rest will have chorizo sausage. I know typically chorizo stuffing is made with cornbread but for me, I'm just not a cornbread kinda guy.

Just curious what are your "go to favs"?

Those sound delicious. I enjoy both stuffing and dressing. Doesn’t matter to me. Just gimme on turkey day. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I love any type of stuffing and it's the best part of the entire meal imo. My sister makes pineapple stuffing which surprisingly good and my mom makes oyster stuffing which I love, too. Like Biggie said, gimme anything on Thanksgiving and I'll devour it!

Do you prefer snails or oysters?

I don't actually stuff the bird with something I'm going to eat for 2 reasons - 1) getting it to a safe temp kind of ruins it and 2) cooking a turkey whole pretty much means the breasts are going to be like chewing sandpaper. I'd much rather either spatchcock the turkey or just cook it in pieces. If I am going to cook bake a whole bird, I would just stuff the cavity with like onions, garlic, lemon, and other aromatics that are just going to get tossed. I have yet to try deep frying a turkey, but I want to some day. I don't know why people are afraid of it. Defrost your turkey in the fridge days in advance, dry it off as much as you can, don't deep fry inside your house, and it shouldn't explode. Then again, I guess a lot of people are scared of deep frying in the kitchen to begin with. It's not scary. If you're not confident in how much oil to put in, submerge whatever you're frying into the oil while is cold to see how high it rises and adjust accordingly before you turn the heat on.

I'd rather use the drippings to make gravy than stuffing, so... No stuffing. Plus, stuffing makes the WORST leftover.

• Like 1

My mom for the holidays always did homemade stuffing, but past few years we had been doing Stove Top Stuffing. Thankfully she has heard the cry of her well grown adult kids and is back to making the good shit. We do the sausage meat, sautéed onion, celery and cooked in butter. After they’re cooked we add the dried/cubed up pieces of crusty bread and add poultry seasoning to taste. Pretty much cooked already but we shove most back into the bird and extras left on the side. Refer it on the side myself because it’s has a better body/texture this way. Too soggy at times coming out of the bird and possible small ribs bones scraped out with the stuffing

52 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I never liked any of it. Thanksgiving food is so overrated. 

With some foods, I'm with you. For example, I'd be ok with never eating another Thanksgiving turkey for the rest of my life. 

And before anyone says that it's because I've never had "good" turkey: nah. 

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's the best meal of the year. You cray. It's all personal taste etc so I'm just playing. What meal is you favorite?

Gimme some steak and seafood. It's what we did for Thanksgiving last year because I had to work and we didn't go visit family due to covid. I'm working this year, too.

Turkey is okay, but doesn't excite me. I hate casseroles of all kinds. Don't like dressing or cranberry sauce. I usually just end up eating some turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, etc. I don't get excited or stuffed.

I had a Friendsgiving with coworkers this weekend and that was fun. Lots of alcohol. Some decent turkey slices, I made garlic mashed potatoes and I also had green beans, collard greens, mac 'n cheese, and rolls. Honestly, that was a pretty good meal.

If Turkey was good it wouldn't need stuffing / gravy, or any of that other filler shit ya'll need to add. 

Thanksgiving is pretty much the worst holiday meal, and that says something considering the entire celebration is really just about eating and being "thankful" for things.

• Haha 1