Road House Reboot In the Works Starring

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Anyone watch this yet? Reviews from last week made it sound “fun if you take it for what it is”

started watching last night but then a big ass thunderstorm erupted in my area and the power went out for half the night. What I saw was fairly decent

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

well got to finish watching and it was okay, nothing special. Conor McGregor's character was idiotic. Then watched the original...been forever since I watched and i had flashbacks to the 80s. The villain is basically every bad guy from the A-team :lol:

Yeah, I agree with this, having just seen it last night. The first half of the film is quite enjoyable, comes off as a Jake Gyllenhaal version of Denzel Washington's The Equalizer movies. The setting is utilized very well and director Doug Liman (who has more hits than misses) utilizes the live music at the bar quite well. The action also slaps (literally in one case) and so you're engaged on that level throughout (the amount of punishment everyone goes through in the extended finale action sequence was well done). You just have to go into this movie knowing it is nothing like Swayze's Road House. I'm not some super fan of that film, I consider it a "so bad it's good" movie. It's charming, stupid, silly, and fun. And very quotable. Jake Gyllenhaal does really well here but his version of Dalton isn't the "tough on the outside, but likely sweet on the inside" of Swayze's version. This version has a deep darkness that is lying just underneath the surface, more Nightcrawler than Road House, like a coiled snake. And Gyllenhaal plays the character as very laissez faire to everything that's happening around him which made the movie more amusing even with the darkness.

Ultimately, Conor McGregor shows up in the back half and while he plays the character likely as written, it is very over the top and hammy. Each person's mileage will vary on him, I thought he was fine, the problem is unlike the original film, Doug Liman seems to be trying to make a real movie so when the movie has hammy over the top villains it doesn't really mesh tonally with the serious cinematography and internal main lead performance. And it doesn't help that in the back half of the film the film forgets about all the characters that were being established in the first half for just a bunch of fights with the villains, which is a shame because all the characters at the bar like Billy, the owner, and the bartender were interesting and I wanted to see more of them interacting with Dalton, stopping bar fights rather than the villain plot taking over the whole narrative.

Ultimately, I'd give this a 6/10 with the caveat that the action is really fun to watch so it may be worth it on that level anyway (I'd give this more like a 6.2 or 6.3/10, it's not a 6.5 but 6.0 is a little harsh as well). Also Jake Gyllenhaal is distractingly ripped in this, so you can enjoy it on that level too as he is frequently shirtless.

• Halal 1

It was serviceable. I'd rate it a solid 6/10. Not too keen on the way they shot the fights (look into the making of ... please don't be the start of something but iterate and make it BETTER), meanwhile, can someone please confirm that my eyes weren't deceiving me and there's easily at least a half dozen jolting color grade corrections that ... well they're jarring AF! 

The chemistry between Jake and everyone he interacts with was pleasant. However I feel the whole book store subplot sorta got stopped dead in its tracks. The camp is there, Dalton is a funny guy. Overall, I wouldn't buy it on physical media necessarily buy I wouldn't be opposed to rewatching it either.

This was a fun Saturday night movie. I definitely preferred the first half of the movie over the last.  Conor McGregor was really over the top, but it was still fun. My biggest complaint is probably the distracting cgi/vfx, or whatever the correct term is. During some fight scenes, certain things moved so quickly and unnaturally. Like something out of a video game.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

. However I feel the whole book store subplot sorta got stopped dead in its tracks. 

hell it barely got started and never got anywhere near developed to the point that having it play a pivotal role in Dalton's actions honestly made no sense. I know what the film was going for but they never spent enough time on it to make it feel real, they just seemed to think 'well...the audience will understand we don't actually need to spend any real time building an actual/emotional connection here'

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

hell it barely got started and never got anywhere near developed to the point that having it play a pivotal role in Dalton's actions honestly made no sense. I know what the film was going for but they never spent enough time on it to make it feel real, they just seemed to think 'well...the audience will understand we don't actually need to spend any real time building an actual/emotional connection here'

Yeah as soon as they attack the bookstore the movie was like: "welp, let's forget about this plotline until the very last scene". It also felt like there should have been more of a relationship (non-romantic) between Dalton and the bar owner but she sort of disappears in the back half of the film, as most of the characters do.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

It was weird how the bookstore went from being attacked, to hearing “they were in the hospital”,  to the dad and daughter just being fine at the end.

This movie sucked. Like big time sucked... makes the original look like The Godfather. I'm legit baffled how they could have fucked this up so badly... and Connor Mcgregor was TERRIBLE. I don't know what fucked him up worse, the coccaine or the steroids. What's crazy is I'm typing this and the movie is STILL ON. I have maybe 40 minutes left? I doubt it's gonna get better. We'll see...

EDIT: I was right. It did NOT get better... Peter Griiffen does NOT approve.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this on a plane and I thought it was a freaking perfect plane movie. I honestly think it's great modern camp. It's silly and stupid and charming and of course it's over the top. I enjoyed how Conner McGregor showed up and just blew up the second half of the movie.

This movie is one of the patrons of the titular Road House; drinking itself into an idiotic stupor until the only thing left is violence and chaos. It's great.

I went in with bottom barrel expectations and supremely enjoyed myself. Yeah, you can see the limits of the budget and of course there isn't a single well developed character in the whole thing. Everyone is a cliche that you know everything about the second they open their mouths, but that's half the fun. It's self aware enough to take the risks it takes, but not self aware enough to always be in on the joke.

I'll take Road House over nearly every Fast and Furious movie, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1