Road House Reboot In the Works Starring

Jake Gyllenhal

Jake-Gyllenhaal-Doug-Liman.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

MGM is ramping up its Road House remake with Jake Gyllenhaal in talks to star and Doug Liman in talks to direct. Insiders add execs are already in talks with writers to rewrite a previous draft though when this would go into production is still

road house GIF

It’s been forever since I’ve seen Road House. I honestly don’t know if I’ve even seen it all, or just parts of it on cable. 

But I would love to see a movie with Gyllenaal as a bouncer, especially if he brought some intense Nightcrawler energy and got real weird with it. 

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Arguably it's homophobic to leave the line out because he says guys. There's nothing wrong with fucking guys.

You serious? He's basically saying the guys he fucked and by extension Dalton, are lesser and unmanly because they are getting fucked and Dalton is like them because he's weak. They're weak which is what the line implies.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think Gyllenhaal is the guy.

I don’t, either. I can’t really picture him in the role. I think that it would have been better to have Ronda Rousey in the role like originally rumored to put a bit of a different spin on it.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:33 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Will this line still be in it?

That is amazing. Now I'm certain  that I have never seen the full movie, maybe just bits and pieces. That line would've stuck with me.

On a somewhat related topic, when my daughter hurts herself, minorly, I'll tell her she's ok because 'Pain don't hurt'! She then repeats it in a deeper voice, with like a pirate arm swing. It's adorable, but I didn't even know that was a 'Roadhouse' line until I saw an episode of 'Mike and Molly'. Molly's sister (Mom from 'American Housewife'. Forgot her name.) was dating a nice, sophisticated guy that everyone liked. In one scene, Molly made a comment about Mike thinking 'Roadhouse' was fine cinema. Molly's sister's boyfriend said 'Oh, I love that movie. 'Pain don't hurt.'' And Molly said something along the lines of 'Oh, he even quotes 'Roadhouse''.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 1:16 PM, Phaseknox said:

Even more reason why Ronda Rousey would have been the better choice for the lead role instead of Jake Gyllenhaal.

No, no part of Ronda Rousey acting in anything is a good idea, at all. This is the worst opinion. 

Trained actor>UFC Fighter every single time. Gyllenhaal looks great in the role. 

• Halal 1

Yeah I'm curious about the take they're going with... I'm assuming that scene takes place early in the movie or is part of Dalton's backstory in this as he comes across as kind of douchey during the face off. I'm also a little concerned that this movie may lean a little too much into the dude-bro, chud side of MMA. Hopefully they don't change the fact that Dalton in the original was pretty well educated and was dare I say, "woke" :o

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I stopped watching the trailer halfway through. Was giving away way too much. Looked solid though. Director Doug Liman sometimes knocks it out of the park and sometimes . . . doesn't. 

Good/Great Doug Liman:

-Swingers

-Go

-The Bourne Identity

-Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie)

-Fair Game

-Edge of Tomorrow

-American Made

Bad/Mediocre Doug Liman:

-Jumper

-The Wall

-Locked Down

-Chaos Walking

I have hope for this movie with Liman at the helm but it's not a great sign that three of his last four films have been bad (American Made is great, but The Wall, Locked Down, and Chaos Walking, yikes). I hope he's still got it, American Made came out all the way back in 2017. He was crushing it before then though. Now Liman is just a director, and has worked with a different screenwriter (more or less) for each one of his films, so I imagine some of these movies just had screenplays so bad he couldn't elevate them, especially lately.