The Black Phone (Trailer #2 added)

silentbob

• silentbob changed the title to The Black Phone (Trailer #2 added)
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else had gone to see this over the weekend but WOW! What a hell of a film given to us by Scott Derrickson & C. Robert Cargill!! For fans of 'Sinister', then go see this. For those of you that enjoy traveling to a "simpler time" then check it out. For those fascinated by extraordinary young talented actors absolutely killing it in a film, SEE THIS FILM! Now I will say, in terms of having "re-watchability", not entirely sure it necessarily has that going for it, but its still something to be experienced. The sound design alone is remarkable to be sure. As someone who grew up in a time not too far removed from 1978 (when this film takes place while I was born in 1980), there's a lot here to reminisce & be reminded of, something worthy of being longed for, no doubt about that. Yet because of this "simplicity", it allowed villains to reside within our own neighborhoods & this film does showcase such a dilemma so very brilliantly. Also worth mentioning that not only does Ethan Hawke do a phenomenal role as "The Grabber" but also seeing Jeremy Davies is always a win as well!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The last two films I saw in theaters were Black Phone and Elvis. It's funny how opposite the latter are -- Elvis is showy, revels in its excess (to a fault and to some really beautiful scenes), and is 2 hours 45 minutes. Black Phone is an hour shorter, lean and to the point. I liked both, but I really liked The Black Phone and am glad to see it's doing well in theaters.

The child actors are a lot of fun; I especially enjoyed the younger sister who had such a fun spunk to her.

• 1 month later...

Big fan as well, I feel like this grungy suburban vibe isn’t really done well that often. I kind of wish the movie spent more time in the community paranoia phase before moving on to the meat and potatoes, but that’s probably because I’m just enthralled by that kind of atmosphere.