Update: driver for Call of Duty's "Ricochet" kernel-level anti-cheat system has already been leaked

Commissar SFLUFAN

acastro_300505_4008_pcGameHacks_0001.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Call of Duty: Warzone will get the driver first later this year.

Activision and Raven Software are finally cracking down on cheating in Call of Duty: Warzone. A new Ricochet anti-cheat system is arriving in both Call of Duty: Warzone and Call of Duty: Vanguard. The system will use a combination of a PC kernel-level driver, machine learning algorithms to examine player behavior, and a “team of dedicated professionals” working to investigate cheaters.

The PC kernel-level driver has been developed internally for the Call of Duty franchise and will launch first for Call of Duty: Warzone with the upcoming Pacific update. PC games are increasingly using kernel-level drivers to detect sophisticated cheating, but since they run at such a high level in Windows, there are always privacy concerns surrounding such an approach.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Didn't Street Fighter V do something similar with a bad blacklash that they had to reverse?

The SFV situation involved a rootkit that was surreptitiously installed.

Valorant uses a similar kernel-level system (that they fully revealed would be used) and it's gotten a generally positive reaction.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: driver for Call of Duty's "Ricochet" kernel-level anti-cheat system has already been leaked
1 hour ago, Brick said:

Yeah that went over my head. 

Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office

In Kernel mode, the executing code has complete and unrestricted access to the underlying hardware. It can execute any CPU instruction and reference any memory address. Kernel mode is generally reserved for the lowest-level, most trusted functions of the operating system. Crashes in kernel mode are catastrophic; they will halt the entire PC.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Imagine being so bad at playing COD you would have to cheat.  GIT GUD

I'm not even sure it's a skill thing. The cheats go beyond a skill level of any normal human. I just think they like having a high kill count. Beyond that I don't really see how you could have fun in a competitive game if you can easily headshot people across the map.

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm not even sure it's a skill thing. The cheats go beyond a skill level of any normal human. I just think they like having a high kill count. Beyond that I don't really see how you could have fun in a competitive game if you can easily headshot people across the map.

Tiny penis 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Is there an actual solution?

A moderation strike team able to quickly respond to reports of cheating and immediately initiate bans, rather than waiting for ban waves every few months as cheaters run rampant. This, combined with a player-driven votekick option (in games where applicable, and with long, juicy bans for abuse and the ability to votekick in the future revoked) can massively cut down on cheating.

All this anti-cheat bullshit is just a way to save a few bucks on a team that could get the job done better, faster and more accurately.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Also griefers. People love being able to piss other people off. 

I also think there's a cultural thing too. I've heard from a couple of people that the reason you see a lot of cheaters coming in from China is because they don't view downloading a cheat as cheating; they view it as using whatever resource is available to win the game, so they're playing normally in their minds. 

• 2 months later...