Cruis'n Blast - Out Now!

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I love arcade racers and I miss San Francisco Rush so so much. But Cruisin games usually control like hot garbage so I’ll wait for some impressions. 

also bummed there’s no collision physics or crashes it seems. 

There never have been in Cruis'n games. They're basically bumper cars. Though it does look like you can crash other cars.

56 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

There never have been in Cruis'n games. They're basically bumper cars. Though it does look like you can crash other cars.

Yes I know it’s never been in Cruisin games before. They just flip around and land. But that doesn’t mean there was t a chance they could change the series 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Impressions?  Arcade racing throwback means I'm hovering over the buy button.

I’ve played a decent amount now and I am quite fond of it. I think like content wise it probably should be a $30 game or whatever, but honestly if you want this type of game just fuck it and spend the $40 and have some silly fun. 

I haven’t moved on to more difficult races yet;, still checking out all the courses and leveling up some stuff, but it seems to be more about just making it through the crazy levels as fast as possible than really competing with the other racers, so the rubber band ai which is definitely present doesn’t bother me as much. These are also one lap deforming courses, so yeah just go as fast as you can, take out anyone in your way, and find the best shortcuts etc.

The courses are just insane lol, the yeti one really gets me the most so far, but they all are full of crazy shit happening and things falling apart and huge drops etc. It’s just fucking fun. There’s things like three keys to find in each level to unlock cars and collecting money and upgrading the vehicles to give you stuff to do besides just winning races as well. I mean, it’ll take time just to find the best shortcuts and all as well which I’m sure will be needed in the higher tiers, there’s a lot of alternate routes here.

I think it’s one of the nicer looking games on the switch i’ve seen recently as well. Only played in handheld but it’s a solid 720/60 and has a lot going on during the races but doesn’t seem to have any issues. The sound is..ok I guess? Idk its low cuz i’m usually watching tv at the same time.

But yeah there is also no online multiplayer, there’s 30 courses which is great but they are all one lap 2min and under courses, no mission mode or anything like that. Just arcade, single race, time trial, local mp, and the tour mode which is the main complete in cups of four races and win tournament mode.

You have unlocks and keys to find and stuff but that’s essentially it. It’s not a lot for a $40 game imo, should have been priced at $30 would be fair. However it’s just really fucking fun so if you are in the mood for this kinda thing I’d say just bite the bullet.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ve played a decent amount now and I am quite fond of it. I think like content wise it probably should be a $30 game or whatever, but honestly if you want this type of game just fuck it and spend the $40 and have some silly fun. 

I haven’t moved on to more difficult races yet;, still checking out all the courses and leveling up some stuff, but it seems to be more about just making it through the crazy levels as fast as possible than really competing with the other racers, so the rubber band ai which is definitely present doesn’t bother me as much. These are also one lap deforming courses, so yeah just go as fast as you can, take out anyone in your way, and find the best shortcuts etc.

The courses are just insane lol, the yeti one really gets me the most so far, but they all are full of crazy shit happening and things falling apart and huge drops etc. It’s just fucking fun. There’s things like three keys to find in each level to unlock cars and collecting money and upgrading the vehicles to give you stuff to do besides just winning races as well. I mean, it’ll take time just to find the best shortcuts and all as well which I’m sure will be needed in the higher tiers, there’s a lot of alternate routes here.

I think it’s one of the nicer looking games on the switch i’ve seen recently as well. Only played in handheld but it’s a solid 720/60 and has a lot going on during the races but doesn’t seem to have any issues. The sound is..ok I guess? Idk its low cuz i’m usually watching tv at the same time.

But yeah there is also no online multiplayer, there’s 30 courses which is great but they are all one lap 2min and under courses, no mission mode or anything like that. Just arcade, single race, time trial, local mp, and the tour mode which is the main complete in cups of four races and win tournament mode.

You have unlocks and keys to find and stuff but that’s essentially it. It’s not a lot for a $40 game imo, should have been priced at $30 would be fair. However it’s just really fucking fun so if you are in the mood for this kinda thing I’d say just bite the bullet.

Sounds great, but this confirms my assumptions that I should wait for a price drop.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 9:18 PM, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Impressions?  Arcade racing throwback means I'm hovering over the buy button.

It's a...BLAST. Eh? Eh? ....eh. 

But yeah no it's great fun. Very flashy, and they cranked the insanity meter to 11 with this. The tracks feel more like a roller-coaster than an actual race. It's almost like they took the best of what I loved about San Francisco RUSH, Burnout, and ExciteTruck and melded it all into this one game. There's even a very Mario Kart-inspired drift mechanic that works basically the same as a Power Slide. You can take down other racers, use your "BLAST" occasionally too get a boost of speed, jump off of ramps and speed boosters to perform tricks. I guess there is some inspiration from the SSX series too, now that I think about it. 

It's gaudy and flashy and cheesy all in the best way. It's an insane '90s arcade racer and it just leans into that. I've had a lot of fun with it. If what I've described sounds like fun, I highly recommend it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

The tracks feel more like a roller-coaster than an actual race.

Yes, yes, this! I actually meant to make that comparison when I was playing it earlier, it’s like a bunch of crazy disney world/universal studios rides, and I love it. 

One of the other main games I’m switching between this with (ty d1p!), Pokémon Snap, actually reminds me of the slower disney world rides so really enjoying switching between the two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stepee said:

damn, I was trying to to be honest but still steer people into buying it now :P

I've gotta play No More Heroes 3 first before I consider another Switch game and possibly finish the story mode in Mario Golf, but that's becoming a lost cause for me at this point.

54 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Is it published by Nintendo? If so, buy now. If not, wait for sale.

Nope! So it’ll go on sale, bet it’ll be $30 or whatever during a christmas sale or whatever .

I played through all the courses on easy now, i’m quite happy with the course election and themes. Now to actually have to learn shortcuts and stuff, well, mostly I’m trying to get money because you can unlock a freakin dino as your vehicle.

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

Now to actually have to learn shortcuts and stuff, well, mostly I’m trying to get money because you can unlock a freakin dino as your vehicle.

That's what I've been looking for lately, too. Plus all the keys that are hidden around in each course. I think there are three per track? They help you unlock new vehicles, if I understand correctly. 

59 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

That's what I've been looking for lately, too. Plus all the keys that are hidden around in each course. I think there are three per track? They help you unlock new vehicles, if I understand correctly. 

Yeah three keys per track that then unlock the option to buy a new vehicle. I got the triceratops now lol it rules.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah three keys per track that then unlock the option to buy a new vehicle. I got the triceratops now lol it rules.

Nice! Yeah I just unlocked the helicopter the other night and I love how crazy they went with the vehicles this time around. I remember thinking how wild it was that you could drive a school bus in the original Cruis'n USA but this game takes it to a whole new level, LOL 

Even with the effusive praise, you guys still actually undersold this.  It's phenomenal. 

Every element of this game is designed to make sure you're having fun, and it's insanely fun.  It paints a pretty depressing picture of the modern games landscape when something this genuinely enjoyable feels like a complete shock to the system.  It's like a lost Dreamcast game with modern graphical touches.  It runs really well, and there is a ton of content, so I'm not understanding the problem with the price.  $40 is a steal for this.

• True 1

24 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Even with the effusive praise, you guys still actually undersold this.  It's phenomenal. 

Every element of this game is designed to make sure you're having fun, and it's insanely fun.  It paints a pretty depressing picture of the modern games landscape when something this genuinely enjoyable feels like a complete shock to the system.  It's like a lost Dreamcast game with modern graphical touches.  It runs really well, and there is a ton of content, so I'm not understanding the problem with the price.  $40 is a steal for this.

I just couldn’t tell how genuinely good this is and how much this is just perfect for me right now! But yeah I keep thinking about how much I love this lol. 

10 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I really want a pick up and play game right now while waiting for Dread.

I'm so torn because I have a ton of backlog games and I really don't need to spend $40, but it looks so fun!

If it helps at all, you can pick up this fairly “cheap” game and play it occasionally. It’s a great fit for the pick-up-and-play-then-set-it-down-and-forget-it title. Perfect for waiting on the next “big” release!

On 9/23/2021 at 6:26 AM, GameDadGrant said:

If it helps at all, you can pick up this fairly “cheap” game and play it occasionally. It’s a great fit for the pick-up-and-play-then-set-it-down-and-forget-it title. Perfect for waiting on the next “big” release!

also get it because it’s hella fun