God of War Ragnarök - Information Thread, update: initial OpenCritic reviews of Valhalla DLC posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

24 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Usually I dislike puzzles. Like Zelda puzzles. But I do for the most part enjoy GoW puzzles. 

The puzzles are a perfect challenge to me where I don't have to think about it for too long. They are pretty easy but fun to solve. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is not really. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Damn. I figured that would be the case but like

Spoiler

I'm not even level 6 yet and the majority of Berserkers are Purple or Death Red. I could reload a save, but that won't get me higher level gear which is what I need. Guess I'm stuck with the boy. Bifrost is just so fuckin' good and OP, but Purple and Red bosses basically one shot me. Rez stones would be the only way for me to have a shot without playing perfect.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Damn. I figured that would be the case but like

Reveal hidden contents

Just do it post game, because theres definitely a weapon hilt or relic that adds bifrost you can use. I'll check tomorrow to see what it was.

You might even have it already.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

It's not THAT bad but I was trying to find some clues on the map and there was like 5 blue icons on my compass all moving in erratic motions. I was getting fuckin confused. 😆 

I eventually found everything but yes, it's a flaw in the game. 

I played more of the story and beat 

Hide contents

Heimdall. It was a confusing fight at first but once I figured it out he wasn't too difficult at all. 

@BloodyHell In my spoilers, how close am I to beating this?

Only a few missions. 3 or 4 left.

Once you kill that boss, you're entering the home stretch.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

You'll get stuff to add bifrost anyway. You can come to them post game with right relics and stuff. 

I do have the bifrost chakrams leveled to max but that's really all I got now.

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Just do it post game

I don't really do post-game stuff. When I beat a final boss I lose my desire to keep playing. I have to do all that I can do before I beat a game or else I won't do it.

Spoiler

I do know that there is some post-game exclusive shit in this game, and I will do it only for the platinum but the less I have to do after the ending the better. I'm just fucked like that.

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't really do post-game stuff. When I beat a final boss I lose my desire to keep playing. I have to do all that I can do before I beat a game or else I won't do it.

Hide contents

I do know that there is some post-game exclusive shit in this game, and I will do it only for the platinum but the less I have to do after the ending the better. I'm just fucked like that.

I actually get that. Post game stuff needs to be really special for me to stick around.

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

Hide contents

There is one immediate side quest you’ll want to do after you beat the main quest, it only takes 5 minutes. Tag me when you beat the main story and I’ll put in spoiler-tags how to get the quest.

• Halal 1

I just passed the part where

Spoiler

Brok dies and it hit hard for me because of losing my twin. My eyes watered. 

I'm very close to beating this. As it stands, it's a 9/10 game. It would have to blow me away at the end for me to consider it a true masterpiece aka 10/10. Nothing has been "amazing" honestly since the beginning sections which is a tad disappointing. 

35 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just passed the part where

Hide contents

Brok dies and it hit hard for me because of losing my twin. My eyes watered. 

I'm very close to beating this. As it stands, it's a 9/10 game. It would have to blow me away at the end for me to consider it a true masterpiece aka 10/10. Nothing has been "amazing" honestly since the beginning sections which is a tad disappointing. 

You're so full of shit. 

One day You're yelling how its the best thing ever. The next day "nothing has been amazing". Seriously, not to be an ass, but at a certain point your opinion is worthless, because I've seen you do this multiple times with multiple games. Just wildly conflicting opinions within a day of each other.  It's like you're incapable of anything except surface level thoughts about whats happening RIGHT NOW. 

And im not saying this to attack you, I just see you doing this all the time, and multiple people have quoted your completely opposite opinions in the same page of a thread depending on if it's Tuesday or Wednesday.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

You're so full of shit. 

One day You're yelling how its the best thing ever. The next day "nothing has been amazing". Seriously, not to be an ass, but at a certain point your opinion is worthless, because I've seen you do this multiple times with multiple games. Just wildly conflicting opinions within a day of each other.  It's like you're incapable of anything except surface level thoughts about whats happening RIGHT NOW. 

And im not saying this to attack you, I just see you doing this all the time, and multiple people have quoted your completely opposite opinions in the same page of a thread depending on if it's Tuesday or Wednesday.

Haha...9/10 is a phenomenal game. I just haven't been amazed like I was in the beginning. You need to settle down holy shit. In the first few hours it was one of the better games I've played. You don't have to read my impressions or quote me. The last half of this game have been very good but not AMAZING.

If anything, you come off like you are always right in EVERYTHING you say in every post you make. So I say that YOU are full of shit! :lol:

Also, aren't you apoc and lied about your entire life? Lol stfu dude.

• Haha 2
  • True 1

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

You're so full of shit. 

Probably could do a better example of this than when he’s going from 10/10 all the way down to an oh so terrible 9/10

Yea, I mean the game is extremely good but imo the second half of it hasn't been as good as the first. By know means am I saying it's bad in anyway. It's better than 2018 and is an awesome game. 

Early on it was heading into the direction of maybe one of my top 5 games ever. It slowed down a bit but I hope the ending really impresses me. Overall, it's been fuckin fantastic. 

• Like 1

Pretty easy optional fight, except for the fact that I always get giga fucked up at the end for some reason. This is the worst performance I had too, but I still beat it. You can even see I almost die. I'm sad this wasn't one of my far better attempts where I played near flawlessly but still die at the end for no reason.

Spoiler

I just suck big fuckin' donkey dick in this optional fight. I was also super tired and I couldn't even do the heavy axe return hit properly and kept shield bashing. This fight took me forever too because I kept thinking the one enemy became invulnerable when it was almost dead, but that mechanic transfers to the other enemy they join the fight. Basically, I thought there were two invulnerable enemies but there wasn't and so I kept avoiding the enemy that needed to die asap. When I figured out that first enemy could still be hurt it wasn't long before I beat it. Still played like a bitch tho.

Spoiler

Speaking of playing like a bitch, in the same area, I was an omega coward and beat this fight by cheesing with range because I just wanted to beat it. All these boss fights with adds are fucking killing me. I even run around a bit looking for a health stone, but I have to do the hardest part of the fight while being 1hp so I cheesed instead of giving up. For some reason the clip goes on longer than I clipped it but whatever

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I mean the game is extremely good but imo the second half of it hasn't been as good as the first. By know means am I saying it's bad in anyway. It's better than 2018 and is an awesome game. 

Early on it was heading into the direction of maybe one of my top 5 games ever. It slowed down a bit but I hope the ending really impresses me. Overall, it's been fuckin fantastic. 

I agree with this but Ill go a step a further and say the latter half of the game really shows the games overall weakness. The pacing of the story becomes a slog to get through. Sections of the game feel extremely drawn out, while the combat "feels" good ,so many enemies are just walking sponges that barely register having their face smashed in with an axe. Not sure why they removed combat mechanics from the first game but its overall worse. They need to get rid of the "puzzles", feels like a couple of window lickers designed them. And FFS they could have named this GOW: Tiny Passage Simulator. 

There are sections where you crawl into an arena , fight, then crawl out though another tiny passage just to go to hall, where surprise surprise ends with a tiny passage.

Game started out as 9 but half way its barely a 7 for me. At this point I am just playing because I am bored.

• True 1

I couldn't imagine playing this on GoW difficulty with how I play. I'd be getting fucked up even worse. Of course, if I was playing on GoW mode I'd be doing most of this shit post-game at Level 8 instead of 6. I'm already delaying a boss fights for later because they have boss level adds and I suck at dealing with groups of enemies that don't flinch when I attack them.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

I agree with this but Ill go a step a further and say the latter half of the game really shows the games overall weakness. The pacing of the story becomes a slog to get through. Sections of the game feel extremely drawn out, while the combat "feels" good ,so many enemies are just walking sponges that barely register having their face smashed in with an axe. Not sure why they removed combat mechanics from the first game but its overall worse. They need to get rid of the "puzzles", feels like a couple of window lickers designed them. And FFS they could have named this GOW: Tiny Passage Simulator. 

There are sections where you crawl into an arena , fight, then crawl out though another tiny passage just to go to hall, where surprise surprise ends with a tiny passage.

Game started out as 9 but half way its barely a 7 for me. At this point I am just playing because I am bored.

@BloodyHellUnleash your fury of anger lol

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

I played around 4 hours last night and didn’t wanna stop. Working now, but I’ll be off for a couple after this shift and I’ll definitely get some good time in with it. 

Im only in the dwarven realm, whatever it’s called. I take my time and explore stuff. 

The dialogue is so good in these games. I love just rowing around in the boat listening to conversations. 

• Like 1

At the final battle 32 hours in. I stopped now and will beat the game after work.

There was a scene with

Spoiler

Kratos and Faye when he is dreaming in the tent. What Faye says to him at the end of the dream was so impactful and so important for me as a lesson to keep living when someone extremely important to you dies. It made me tear up thinking about my brother. 

Fantastic videogame and I look forward to the ending. Still a 9/10, though @BloodyHell

Or I mean Apoc. Sorry. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

At the final battle 32 hours in. I stopped now and will beat the game after work.

There was a scene with

Hide contents

Kratos and Faye when he is dreaming in the tent. What Faye says to him at the end of the dream was so impactful and so important for me as a lesson to keep living when someone extremely important to you dies. It made me tear up thinking about my brother. 

Fantastic videogame and I look forward to the ending. Still a 9/10, though @BloodyHell

Or I mean Apoc. Sorry. 

If this is an early 2000s IGN type of 9/10, I understand his outrage. :nottalking: :p 

Also, as I mentioned to Bacon, make sure you do an immediate side quest after completing the main story. Tag me if you want so I can tell you, without spoilers, how to activate it.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If this is an early 2000s IGN type of 9/10, I understand his outrage. :nottalking: :p 

Also, as I mentioned to Bacon, make sure you do an immediate side quest after completing the main story. Tag me if you want so I can tell you, without spoilers, how to activate it.

I'll tag you later today after I beat it. Thanks 

Also, a 10/10 for me is a game like Elden Ring. Something that really made an impact on me and basically blew me away in many different ways. I didn't even "beat" it but after 86 hours it's my GOTY. Ragnarok comes in second then FW.

I still have to play A Plagues Tale Requiem but I can't imagine that being better that the games listed. 

The most fun game of the year is easily Sonic. I put in 9 hours in roughly two days and just stopped playing it now before going to work. I'm addicted.

• Halal 1

Spoiler

Really could not care less about that Burger guy. Kratos has literally done worse in GoW 2018 when fighting Balder and lived like it was nothing. Like, he could have just chained the fuckin' birds and exploded them with fire or did this shit

C2G569fXgAI_z8M.jpg

ugh

Spoiler

What in the fuck were they thinking putting the crater into the game. Holy shit, this area is way too much, and this day and night shit is fucking awful. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? Fuckin' Zelda got this right like 25 years ago in OoT. There is no good mechanical reason I should have to go to an alter to change the time of day. This whole zone is worth a 1 point deduction from any score. 

And also, I noticed it way earlier, but I am calling it out now, this game has done a very, very, bad thing. They made their game world like Dragon Age: Inquisition. And that new area I was talking about just makes it even more obvious. 

I feel like I must be playing a lot slower than y’all besides just my sessions being shorter. At least judging by main story chapter count (I have also done every favor so far up to this point) I’m about 1/3rd through and I’m pretty sure I have at least 20 hours in. The counter actually says 28 hours but I think that’s off. Some of it is me just staring at scenery but still, I can’t imagine this being 35 hours or whatever for me.

Im trying to get every secret and exploring everything but it sounds like people finishing it much quicker are also doing that so idk.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I feel like I must be playing a lot slower than y’all besides just my sessions being shorter. At least judging by main story chapter count (I have also done every favor so far up to this point) I’m about 1/3rd through and I’m pretty sure I have at least 20 hours in. The counter actually says 28 hours but I think that’s off. Some of it is me just staring at scenery but still, I can’t imagine this being 35 hours or whatever for me.

Im trying to get every secret and exploring everything but it sounds like people finishing it much quicker are also doing that so idk.

If you're doing side quests, you'll be awfully close to 35 hours  (unless you mean it will take you more?)

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yea, I mean I did all favors and really explored and I'm at the end 32 hours in. 

I can't play tonight so I'm going to wake up very early in the morning to beat it before work.