Today is the 3 (now 5) year anniversary of Anthony Bourdain’s passing

Joe

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

I didn’t realize until a few minutes ago. One of two times in my life I’ve cried over the death of a celebrity.

His passing is the only one for me.

GettyImages-621667212.jpg
JACOBINMAG.COM

Anthony Bourdain’s genius was not in the kitchen. His genius was in knowing which side he was on.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

I didn’t realize until a few minutes ago. One of two times in my life I’ve cried over the death of a celebrity.

Yeah, this killed me. He was a giant. I saw this clip a couple of months ago, and I died all over again. It is from Joe Rogan's podcast, so ignore if you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Yeah, this killed me. He was a giant. I saw this clip a couple of months ago, and I died all over again. It is from Joe Rogan's podcast, so ignore if you want. 

That was rough, but I’m glad I watched it.

It was a Friday morning when I got off of work 3 years ago, I happened to hop onto Twitter, I see the news & I fucking lost it. I yelled, screamed, cried ... like ugly cry sobbing uncontrollably. His passing hit me harder, deeper, just to my absolute core & shook me. I have come to both love & dread June since because while I have to remember the fact that he's gone, be reminded of WHY the fuck he is gone, it will also be a cause of celebration as his birthday is at the end of the month. So really, as bitter fucking sweet as it is, June is a month to commemorate, remember, & love his legacy.

In all realness, whenever big moments or things happen, I find myself always having asked "What would George Carlin have to say about this?" except now, in the passing three years, I find myself saying "What would Anthony & George say about this?" Their voices, opinions, points of view, darkness of humor just resonated with me. Coincidentally, I had had opportunities to have met both & told myself each time "Oh I'll get to that chance again, no worries." only to kick myself for having never jumped at those chances for just a moment.

I shall look forward to the 25th, and share in the celebration of his life. I feel like now perhaps I can allow myself to revisit at least a few of his episodes ... it hurts just ever so much less. That documentary that comes next month is going to fucking gut me all over again, but I consider it a cathartic pilgrimage to purposefully go to a theater and watch. I loved & I miss that man very much & I'm not afraid to say that about what some deem to be simply & merely "just" a celebrity, he was so very much more than that, those of us who heard what he really had to say, to know where he came from, to know the demons he fought until the abrupt end. Experience, strength, hope ... abso-fucking-lutely! 

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back up today, the 5th anniversary of his death.

When I think about him, I often think of this interview where he talks about sexual harassment and the cultures that allow it to happen.

Specifically, this bit has always stuck with me.

I’ve been out of the restaurant business for 17, 18 years. I’m really not in the mix. Just the same: Other than one woman chef restauranteur friend from Canada, nobody has really been speaking to me about this until recently. I guess because of the Weinstein case I’m starting to hear personal stories from a lot of women.

What kinds of things are you hearing?

Just personal stories, things that they’ve heard, things that have happened to them. But I had to ask myself, particularly given some things that I’m hearing, and the people I’m hearing them about: Why was I not the sort of person, or why was I not seen as the sort of person, that these women could feel comfortable confiding in? I see this as a personal failing.

I’ve been hearing a lot of really bad shit, frankly, and in many cases it’s like, wow, I’ve known some of these women and I’ve known women who’ve had stories like this for years and they’ve said nothing to me. What is wrong with me? What have I, how have I presented myself in such a way as to not give confidence, or why was I not the sort of person people would see as a natural ally here? So I started looking at that.

That level of introspection is difficult. When I try to think of how I can better myself and how I can "be an ally" if I can borrow the cliche, I try to be the kind of person that people would feel comfortable coming to for support or help in these kinds of situations. Also to make sure I do not come off as the kind of person who seems like they'd be complacent about these things, or worse, a participant in them.

"I see this as a personal failing" always really lands for me whenever I re-read it.

RIP to a real one.

• Like 3

• Kal-El814 changed the title to Today is the 3 (now 5) year anniversary of Anthony Bourdain’s passing
6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The very fact that Anthony Boudain is dead while Henry Kissinger still breathes is irrefutable proof that God -- if She exists -- has a twisted/warped sense of humor.

God absolutely exists and I respect him even though he took my twin brother. He knows what he's doing. It'll be fine. 

Anthony Bourdain was truly special. 

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

God absolutely exists and I respect him even though he took my twin brother. He knows what he's doing. It'll be fine. 

Such certainty about something one couldn't possibly be certain of. :tired:

• Sicko 1

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Such certainty about something one couldn't possibly be certain of. :tired:

I won't go into this. But I'll just say just look up into the sky at night outside of a city and tell me it wasn't created by someone or thing? The earth is absolutely stunning, too.

• True 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I won't go into this. But I'll just say just look up into the sky at night outside of a city and tell me it wasn't created by someone or thing? The earth is absolutely stunning, too.

I'm actually open to the idea of there being a god (depending on one's definition), and absolutely agree that looking up into the night sky is awe-inspiring. But that doesn't require there being a god. :shrug:

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

I'm actually open to the idea of there being a god (depending on one's definition), and absolutely agree that looking up into the night sky is awe-inspiring. But that doesn't require there being a god. :shrug:

Do you believe there is other species out in the universe by chance? It's extremely interesting. 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Do you believe there is other species out in the universe by chance? It's extremely interesting. 

There are many other species even here on earth :p, but I'm guessing you mean something like "is there intelligent life out there".

From what I've read, it seems almost certain that there's life out there somewhere, but whether it's intelligent life or life with which we'll ever make contact, I really don't know. 

Just now, Nokra said:

There are many other species even here on earth :p, but I'm guessing you mean something like "is there intelligent life out there".

From what I've read, it seems almost certain that there's life out there somewhere, but whether it's intelligent life or life with which we'll ever make contact, I really don't know. 

Yes, intelligent life beings. Yea, I agree there is life out there it's just a matter of when will they officially reveal themselves to us. I hope it happens in our lifetime. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Bringing this back up today, the 5th anniversary of his death.

When I think about him, I often think of this interview where he talks about sexual harassment and the cultures that allow it to happen.

Specifically, this bit has always stuck with me.

That level of introspection is difficult. When I try to think of how I can better myself and how I can "be an ally" if I can borrow the cliche, I try to be the kind of person that people would feel comfortable coming to for support or help in these kinds of situations. Also to make sure I do not come off as the kind of person who seems like they'd be complacent about these things, or worse, a participant in them.

"I see this as a personal failing" always really lands for me whenever I re-read it.

RIP to a real one.

My goodness that quote makes me feel gutted all over again by his passing 

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

That just reminded me of this:

y1ZCnfP.png

The 8th of June just absolutely fucking sucks, but I have to remind myself that we are to CELEBRATE his life & all that he brought to our lives. That said, I'll continue to celebrate his life every June 25th instead, just hurts we have to go through this day first.

• Hugs 1