Biden adviser: President will 'change course' in infrastructure talks if inaction seems inevitable

201218085023-01-cedric-richmond-file-sup
WWW.CNN.COM

White House senior adviser Cedric Richmond said Sunday that President Joe Biden will "change course" on his massive infrastructure bill if inaction on the costly proposal seems inevitable.

"But for now, we're engaged in a what we want to be a bipartisan infrastructure bill that invests in the backbone of this country -- the middle class -- and our future," Richmond added.

"He wants a deal. He wants it soon, but if there's meaningful negotiations taking place in a bipartisan manner, he's willing to let that play out. But again, he will not let inaction be the answer. And when he gets to the point where it looks like that is inevitable, you'll see him change course," Richmond told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union" when asked how much longer Biden would pursue a bipartisan deal before moving on without congressional Republicans.

"I think the President coming down $550 billion off of his initial proposal, I think shows the willingness to negotiate in good faith and in a serious manner. And the real question is whether the Republicans will meet the effort that the President is showing," Richmond said in his interview with CNN.

My guess is they drop some of the Elder Care and Child care stuff but keep the bulk of the other infrastructure stuff in and pass the bill with Democratic support only. I think right now they are trying to basically quell whatever concern moderate Dems have. They MAY pick up a Republican or two, but Mitch is basically gonna do his best to sabotage/ drail anything the Biden team wants to do.

What else could the Republicans possibly say to further drive home their disinterest in passing this bill?

Sure, McConnell hasn't outright said he wouldn't work with Biden under any circumstances, all he's said is he wouldn't possibly agree to anything like the number Trump was throwing around and that he wouldn't support any effort to pay for it or any effort pass it without paying for it. He's not exactly being coy about his intentions here.

32 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Does nobody think this is politics to set a narrative that they're trying to negotiate so they can easily say they tried once they go for reconciliation?

I thought about this. 

It'd be nice. I'm hoping this is why they said that. 

Look, Biden is barely going to accomplish anything and then the Democrats will lose the Senate and House in 2022/2024, and Biden will lose to Trump in 2024. It's not because Biden is a horrible person or couldn't have been a transformational President...it's because the entire American nation-state and political system is broken. America as a concept doesn't really exist, cohesively, and unless there is a massive, unifying outside threat, there is no incentive for any of the factions to work together.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

I thought about this. 

It'd be nice. I'm hoping this is why they said that. 

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Eventually one of these legislative items is coming to a head but I'm not holding my breath on some grand plan to play for attempted bipartisan* media cycles

*Bipartisanship only goes one way after all

The reason I think this is because the way they phrase this stuff seems different than in 09/10. This was Senator Dick Durbin today:

"There are two reasons we ought to think twice about $1 trillion or anything less. The first, of course, is that it would cut out money for research, innovation, creating new businesses, for example, chip manufacturing in the united states with american workers. Things that are essential to the growth of our economy. So we'd leave those on the table if we come and low ball the figure. And secondly, the bottom line is this. If we are going to move forward in this economy, we need to do it on a bipartisan basis to get it done. President Biden has reached out to the republicans over and over again to try to reach some compromise. I think he is right to do that, but at some point we have to move forward."

Which is exactly what the Biden administration is saying: if inaction is inevitable, we're changing course. This isn't the language/strategy I remember employed with Obama.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Look, Biden is barely going to accomplish anything and then the Democrats will lose the Senate and House in 2022/2024, and Biden will lose to Trump in 2024. It's not because Biden is a horrible person or couldn't have been a transformational President...it's because the entire American nation-state and political system is broken. America as a concept doesn't really exist, cohesively, and unless there is a massive, unifying outside threat, there is no incentive for any of the factions to work together.

If there's one thing we should have learned in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 (2019 didn't really have anything unexpected that I recall), it's that nobody should predict anything more than maybe a week in advance, and sometimes I think we shouldn't predict anything until a few hours in advance.

Let's keep it that way, please.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

The accelerationist/arsonist in me is in thorough agreement!

21 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Dick Durban may be the #2 Dem in the senate nominally, but he's hardly the most consequential in terms of what and when things get passed though that godawful chamber

His language matches the Biden administration's.