Aliens: Fireteam Elite (24 August 2021 - $40) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brick

42 minutes ago, Brick said:

You don't like third-person shooters?

No, I'm generally not a fa, I much prefer first person! I think the decision to go third person for something in the Aliens universe is especially weird considering you'd think they want to create a more closed-in, claustrophobic feel.

• 2 weeks later...

More final previews:

xP63YPNXGfuathEX9qvcTJ-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

We go hands-on with an early build of the next big Alien game.

Honestly, Aliens: Fireteam Elite (it used to just be called Fireteam, not sure why they added the Elite) is more fun than I expected. As a co-op shooter it doesn't do anything particularly innovative, but the Alien themed levels, snappy combat, and large swarms of xenos might be enough for me to look past its lack of imagination and just enjoy blowing up some aliens.

After Isolation, which reminded us of just how terrifying Giger's creature can be, mowing down hundreds of them again as a marine feels like a bit of a step back for Alien games in general. We've had Aliens shooters before, and even more games heavily inspired by Aliens, so Fireteam feels like a bit of a throwback. But hey, it does the Aliens thing well—and better than Colonial Marines, which isn't saying much, granted. I doubt we'll get an Alien game as subversive and interesting as Isolation again. Fireteam is more straightforward, but they seem to have at least made a decent shooter out of it.

By the time my team and I made it through the whole of Katanga, Aliens: Fireteam Elite mostly won me over. Mostly. The marine's weaponry and class toolkits harmonize with the xenomorph's adaptive nature excellently, which got me plenty excited, despite the cover system being less than helpful and the sparse story beats leaving too much to the imagination. Either way, though, I'm stoked to play more when it comes out next month.

3858205-aliens_fireteam_elite_order01_sc
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Cold Iron Studios' survival shooter captures the feeling of Aliens well, while combing the franchise for great opportunities to expand lore and find more things to kill you.

The question that might determine Aliens: Fireteam Elite's fate is whether it can consistently provide fun replay experiences, though. The four campaigns offered at launch seem like they'll give players a ton of variety to work through, but the formula will need to provide incentives to keep you playing. And while Fireteam Elite created some really harrowing moments for our group over several hours of play, it did feel like it fell into a bit of a repetitive pattern of moving from place to place and setting up defensive positions over and over. That said, we only saw two sets of missions, and across those two sets, Fireteam Elite provided a bunch of different enemies and challenges to deal with--and the story suggests things will only get more intense further on.

So it'll be interesting to see how Fireteam Elite keeps players engaged long-term. With unlockable weapons, attachments, perks, and cosmetic items, there are at least a lot of ways to continually customize your character, and things to chase along the way. Fireteam Elite is already poised to draw the most from the Aliens franchise of any game before it, and it seems to be in a unique position to tell an expansive, evolving Aliens story through a live-service game approach. For Alien fans, that's a pretty exciting prospect, and our early look at Fireteam Elite suggests there's a lot that Cold Iron Studios can draw on to continue to throw threats at Colonial Marines that'll have them endlessly fighting for their lives.

Aliens-fireteam-elite-preview-4.jpg
WWW.PCINVASION.COM

We got our hands on Aliens: Fireteam Elite for a preview, and my shoes are ruined. By the acid, I mean. You know how they are with that.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite does a great job of looking and feeling like you’re taking part in the Aliens universe, with a lot of dark, industrial environments. Xenos often explode into a puddle of acid that hurts if you step in it, and their assaults can be downright vicious. When they get close, they’ll tackle you, resulting in a QTE that, if failed, will require your teammates to blast them off of you. Larger Xenos will even run off into vents, forcing teams to be on their guard against them. The first level ends with a desperate standoff as your team waits for an elevator. Even on the standard difficulty, we were given no quarter as we struggled to keep the hideous foes at bay.

We did notice our fair share of bugs, including character models teleporting, objects falling through the floor, and some skills not working properly. The lack of lip-syncing is also notable.

Overall, I’m looking forward to spending more time with the game when it launches, as it’s an enjoyable team PVE game, especially if you’re already fond of the source material. It may be kind of weird to dispatch Xeno after Xeno with a pump-action shotgun, but they make for enjoyable fodder. At least, when my team wasn’t backed against a wall and the tables were turned.

aliens-fireteam.jpg?w=1200&strip=all
VENTUREBEAT.COM

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is the first new Aliens shooter game in a while, and we got to try it out before the August 24 launch.

I was feeling like the firefight at the end was pretty intense, but was surprised I survived it. I actually just backed up a bit into the elevator and realized I could escape the final creatures just by escaping into the elevator.

I think the heavily armed Demolisher (a tank character) is one of the most satisfying folks to play, but a good mix is necessary to survive any firefight. I’m looking forward to playing with fellow humans. The game was pretty stable for me, and it didn’t quit in the middle of a firefight, which would have been very annoying. I didn’t get nearly as far as I wanted to yet, but I’m willing to get back to it.

Aliens__Fireteam_Elite_Order04_Screensho
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Grab your Smartgun and a handful of turrets

It felt exhilarating, like watching the Space Marines barely hold out against an onslaught of murderous aliens in the movie. It was something special that happened in a game that had otherwise felt like something I’ve played a dozen times over.

I’m concerned about Aliens: Fireteam Elite’s lack of variation, since it needs to stay tense and interesting over many hours as I level up my different weapons and classes. But a single, entertaining, scream-worthy moment as my teammates and I struggled to reach safety is promising for a multiplayer shooter. With games like Left 4 Dead, Vermintide, and now Aliens: Fireteam Elite, I don’t remember my fifth time through a mission — I remember the individual moments that make each mission unique. 

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is actually very fun (Eurogamer)

Chris: This is it, right? It's very much an old-school double-A game that we don't see so often now - especially ones that are actually good. There's a fair bit of jank (moving around and over terrain is weirdly difficult, you have to sort of "mount" onto a specific bit of wall to climb it because there's no jump button), and also a fair bit of fluff in there, like the entire cover system which I'm not sure I ever used. But it lands in the "endearingly naff" category instead of the plain naff one because the world and the aliens are just such a good fit for the game, like you've said. I feel like the Alien sequels - Aliens but also weird spinoff stuff like Prometheus, which there's more than a bit of here - are kind of the secret to a good Alien game, if you're not doing the Isolation horror thing? It's where you get all lovely B-movie juice.

Bertie: I don't know whether it's because cooperative games like this are inherently fun when playing with friends but I'm enjoying it. It's not brilliant, but I think it knows what it is, and there's something to be said for games like that - like this. I'll be interested to see where it all goes, and how the classes evolve. I'm up for more!

Emma: This is absolutely the equivalent of picking a B-movie to watch with friends while having junk food and beers on a Saturday night. Sometimes you just want something entertaining and silly to slap on the TV while having a chat, and it's the same for Fireteam Elite. I'm ready to venture into the depths with my spud gun once more.

aliens-fireteam-elite-preview.jpeg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Aliens: Fireteam Elite's robust class customization options make it more than just a Left 4 Dead clone.

There’s a lot more I have to say about the perk system and the mission modifiers (which are great), but I’ll need to see how well these meta mechanics are handled in the end game before I can judge them. For now, I’m really excited to play the rest of the story and see where the plot goes. With only 12 missions, I suspect you can play through the whole game in about six hours. It seems like it will have high replay value thanks to the progression system though, and there’s also a horde mode that will be available at launch. I was feeling cautious about this game, but Aliens: Fireteam Elite definitely seems to be a worthy addition to the franchise.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Aliens: Fireteam Elite (24 August 2021 - $40) - Information Thread, update: multiple hands-on final previews posted
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Aliens: Fireteam Elite (24 August 2021 - $40) - Information Thread, update: post launch plans - free season updates/free next-gen upgrade/offline play

I was debating which version to preorder. Can't quite tell if the deluxe edition is worth an extra $30..... doesn't really feel like it. I think it's annoying they are promising 4 extra DLC cosmetic bundles after release, but you're just supposed to blind buy it now not knowing what the stuff is. 

Game Information

Game Title: Aliens: Fireteam Elite

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Aug 24, 2021)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 24, 2021)
  • PC (Aug 24, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Aug 24, 2021)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 24, 2021)

Developer:  Cold Iron Studios

Publishers:  Cold Iron Studios, Focus Home Interactive

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 69 average - 40% recommended

Critic Reviews

GamingTrend - 100 / 100

We've waited far too long for an Aliens game this good, but it's finally here. With an exciting campaign, five exciting classes, a dazzling array of weapons, and a staggering array of monsters to use them on, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a perfect organism.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a must fan for anyone who enjoyed the Aliens film or those who love a great gaming experience. This is the best action-based game in the Alien universe.

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite (finally) proves that a great game based on the Alien films is possible in the modern era. A solid story, amazing action, deep customization, and intense battles make this one of the best adaptations of the franchise to date.

COGconnected - 80 / 100

Apart from a camera that despises the view from a corner, some buggy and inconsistent team matchmaking mechanics, and the curious decision to add punishing roguelike elements, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a polished and potentially fun and action-filled romp through a corner of the Alien universe and lore. Played without human squadmates and reliant on AI stand-ins at anything but the easiest difficulty, the game’s more repetitious aspects begin to grate, as failure will be inevitable. Played with a trio of living beings possessing some situational awareness, reflexes and the ability to communicate, using an arsenal of cool guns and toys against swarms of iconic Xenomorphs is a mindless, if not mind-blowing, good time.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a surprisingly deep third-person shooter with tight, enjoyable multiplayer action that has enough variety to tease multiple return visits.

MMORPG.com - 8 / 10

Ultimately, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is more hit than miss. Although it does little to advance the survival shooter genre forward, Cold Iron Studio has done a great job of combining the familiar source material with fun, action-packed combat. The few flaws are merely a minor distraction and don’t mean game over, man!

MonsterVine - 4 / 5

I can’t stress enough how much fun Aliens: Fireteam Elite is. If you’re a fan of the franchise, don’t pass this one up.

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

I love what I’ve played so far and I intend to grind out all of the classes to unlock those perks so I can experiment with potential builds before Season 1 starts. I’d love to see new campaigns, new classes, new weapons, new mods, and new perks with each season. If the next four seasons are as good as the base game, Aliens: Fireteam Elite will end up in my permanent rotation with Destiny 2 and Apex Legends.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

All in all, however, these are very minor reservations for what is ultimately one of the best action-centric games based on the Aliens licence, well… ever. It’s consistently engaging, surprisingly deep and radically enhanced when you’ve got a couple of friends in tow. While a few minor AI and presentational bugs hold it back from being the perfect organism fans have been hoping for, Aliens: Fireteam Elite absolutely nails that one-last-stand thrill of roleplaying a badass marine with your back against the wall battling overwhelmingly insurmountable odds. Let’s rock? Aye-firmative.

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite does the franchise justice by delivering an addictive co-op shooter set in iconic locations from the films.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 78 / 100

A nice cooperative shooter with a great atmosphere and plenty of customization possibilities.Its only flaw is that its mechanics end up being quite repetitive, but if you get together with two friends you will have a great time killing aliens.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a valid cooperative shooter, one where you can just drop in and shoot stuff with glee, or put your coordination and teamplay to the test if you're looking for a challenge. There are friendly AIs, but they aren't great and solo play only works at the lower difficulties. Finally, while the game is competent and fun, it also shows its low budget.

GameGrin - 7.5 / 10

Whilst not without its faults, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a satisfying co-op shooter that shows that there's still fun to be had with the Aliens franchise.

Gamers Heroes - 75 / 100

Aliens: Fireteam Elite does precisely what it sets out to do: letting players kill Aliens and defend hallways. Expecting anything more is only going to lead to disappointment.

Nerdburglars - 7.5 / 10

Aliens Fireteams is a pretty solid shooter that is quite a bit of fun to play with a team of friends. The combat is flexible enough that it is fun but not too complex that you need extended tutorials to figure everything out. The aliens are incredibly well recreated and can give you chills when they are crawling along the walls or just straight up sprinting toward you as you are trying to fill them with bullets before they lunge on top of you. The different classes add a lot to the combat when your squad makes use of the different perks. The lack of incentives to replay the game is by far the biggest flaw that will prevent this game from being one that you keep coming back to.

ZTGD - 7.5 / 10

The best advice though that I can give is to play this with your friends, it’s truly how the developers want it played. You will be able to mix the classes and abilities together to great success and trying the various builds and weapons ends up being a blast with your buddies. If you are a fan of the franchise then you don’t need to be advised you are going to enjoy this game, but if you are new to Aliens know that it does a great job of easing you in so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.3 / 10

If you are fan of the Alien movie saga and appreciate cooperative shooters then you'll love Aliens: Fireteam Elite. It's not a perfect game and doesn't have an innovative gameplay mechanics, but it knows how to entertain especially when played with friends.

PC Gamer - 73 / 100

A fun and flexible swarm shooter that's a little too reliant on being played alongside friends.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite does a lot right when it comes to the core gameplay experience, but lacks in its narrative. It adapts all the good parts of a looter shooter and a zombie-like shooter experience at the cost of some repetitive mission objectives.

CGMagazine - 7 / 10

Like the films that inspired it, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is great popcorn fun with a friend or two, but if you’re not a fan of the popular film franchise and/or siege-style game modes like Gears of War’s Horde and Halo’s Firefight, you are likely in for a long grind, especially if you are playing solo.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a valiant third-person shooter in the titular universe, yet still falls somewhat short. As a bite-sized, mindless action game on the surface, blasting away hordes upon hordes of xenomorphs with the M41A Pulse Rifle is excellent. Trying different classes, abilities, and unlockable weapons help keep gameplay refreshing during your first run. However, Fireteam Elite wants to be replayable and what’s on offer simply isn’t that fun to return to. Formulaic level design and often buggy AI make finishing missions a chore rather than a triumph. Series fans will enjoy the package, but Aliens: Fireteam Elite may struggle to survive against other co-op shooters. “Another glorious day in the Corps…” but not much longer than that.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a hugely entertaining co-op shooter, only brought down by the formulaic structure of its missions and the odd rough edge. Developer Cold Iron Studios is promising more free content in the future, however, and has the chance to turn the game into something rather special. With more horde maps, marine classes and perhaps a mission tweak here and there, we could imagine returning to Aliens: Fireteam Elite time and time again, long into the future. Right now though, while some team-based third-person shooter fans will have plenty of fun with it, it’s only really a must for Alien fans.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a solid third-person co-op shooter that feels like it belongs in the franchise, but its replayability has yet to be determined.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 7 / 10

‎Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a good co-op shooter, with good ideas, although it's not perfect. The story, while good, is somewhat anecdotal and serves as more of a tutorial to learn how to play before facing horde mode. In addition, his approach ends up being somewhat repetitive and can become tiresome. ‎

God is a Geek - 7 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is an absolute win if you're a franchise fan and you stick to the multiplayer; if you're a solo player and the universe does nothing for you, there's not much here worth exploring.

IGN - 7 / 10

There's plenty of wild shootouts with swarms of xenomorphs in Aliens: Fireteam Elite, but some awkward pacing and repetitive level design prevents it from being a classic.

PC Invasion - 7 / 10

Entertaining to play, but light on content and too repetitive in spots, Aliens: Fireteam Elite isn't without its charms. But the purchase price is a little high for what you get.

PPE.pl - Polish - 7 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a good game, although you have to give it a chance to find out. It is also worth having a companion to play, although you can play alone. And although shooting is not very satisfying, and the sound design has problems, it can be a way to spend many pleasant hours.

PlayStation Universe - 7 / 10

Whilst Aliens: Fireteam Elite is lacking in some areas, and is not without its frustrations, it is a solid third-person survival shooter. The story won't pull you in, but the core gameplay is satisfying, fun, and addictive and that is what will ultimately keep you coming back. There is something here for fans of third-person shooters and Alien fans alike.

Pure Xbox - 7 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite mostly delivers the goods with a super solid squad-based shooter set in the Aliens universe. There's plenty to enjoy here, lots of fun nods to the movies, tons of lore, impressive attention to environmental detail and slick Xeno-slaying action that's enhanced immensely by taking the fight to the alien hordes with a couple of friends. It may be a little repetitive, there aren't nearly enough surprises and the campaign fizzles out towards its end but, grab some buddies, get your headsets on and crank up the difficulty and there's hours of properly intense, team-based action to get stuck into with this one.

Worth Playing - 7 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is tricky to judge. The gameplay loop is repetitive and retreads a lot of the tropes found in similar co-op shooter experiences. Its presentation is good but inconsistent. What it does well is capturing the visuals and sound of the movies and distilling them into a well-established formula. There's a good variety of combat classes and engaging ways to customize and improve builds, so players are incentivized to continue playing and get better as the difficulty ratchets up to add a thrilling survival component. I am concerned about the title's online matchmaking, which we were unable to test. Since the title does not support crossplay, the game's longevity and player base will depend on early adopters and future content releases to prove that this online shooter is here to stay.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 6.8 / 10

Aliens Fireteam Elite is a cooperative shooter without infamy and without praise that, at a budget price, allows you to spend a few hours immersed in the typical atmosphere of Xenomorph-based films in the company of a couple of friends.

DualShockers - 6.5 / 10

Aliens Fireteam Elite is a title that will likely disappoint you during the first few hours, but once you get past the first chapter, the game starts to open up to its potential more. If you have a squad ready for some challenging scenarios in a decent, albeit familiar, co-op shooter, then you could see yourself with an enjoyable couple of hours on your hands.

Sirus Gaming - 6.5 / 10

I haven’t had enough fun in coop games until I’ve played Aliens: Fireteam Elite. Sure, it isn’t spectacular, some may even call it “boring”, but the time I have spent playing the game as a fan of the franchise and as someone who loves shooters definitely made the game enjoyable despite the complaints I had.

Gamerheadquarters - 6.2 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite has some interesting mechanics to it, great visuals but lacks the replayability it needs to be successful as it’s such a minimal experience.

Saving Content - 3 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a lot of fun whether solo, or with friends. It feels rather disjointed not having any cutscenes or meaningful threads for any of the campaigns. The crashes, bugs, and audio flatness get in the way of its overall enjoyment and longevity. Cold Iron Studios have post-launch content lined up, and so there’s promise of these issues being fixed and there being more to do in the near future. Aliens: Fireteam Elite lacks the connective tissue and spectacle that the films are known for, yet manages to provide entertainment for mindless, late-night sessions with friends.

Shacknews - 6 / 10

I have mixed feelings from my time with Aliens: Fireteam Elite. I love the movies (well, the first two) and cooperative shooting is usually in my wheelhouse, but I could never connect with what is on offer here. The feel of the gunplay, mission design, and pacing have been a big turn-off for me, so I don’t personally see much value in endlessly repeating these missions for better attachments or cosmetics. It feels worse at conveying the spirit of the movies than the best of the preceding games adapted from the films and generic even as a modern online co-op shooter.

TrueAchievements - 6 / 10

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with Aliens: Fireteam Elite and aside from a handful of bugs, the game shows promise of a solid third-person co-op survival game. The rich lore and stunning level design put it on par with other successful Alien titles in terms of presentation (if not in terms of being faithful to the source material with its hordes of papier-mâché Xenomorphs), and although there isn’t anything revolutionary about the gameplay, the experience itself feels well crafted. I hope to see some of the issues resolved in the near future, but can happily say that this isn’t just another game to toss on the Aliens failure heap.

VideoGamer - 6 / 10

If you squint, you could be playing Outriders—with less satisfying shooting, granted, but with a superior world grafted onto the action.

Wccftech - 6 / 10

An experience built for a fireteam of three, Aliens: Fireteam Elite turns the xenomorph horror on LV-895 into a shooting gallery that sadly misses the mark of what made its source material so iconic in the first place.

Xbox Achievements - 60 / 100

While not bad enough to be nuked from orbit, Aliens: Fireteam Elite regrettably falls short of what I'd hoped for from the franchise, especially seven years on from Alien: Isolation, which remains the high watermark. A lack of atmosphere, tension, and interesting stuff to do beyond shooting things, makes for a somewhat disappointingly flat experience.

Destructoid - 5.5 / 10

Like the meh Terminator project before it, if you’re really craving something substantial from the Alien IP, you might like to blow apart some creatures here. Otherwise, wait for a sale and give the campaign one run-through with two other friends over a weekend: it’s the best way to experience this extremely proviso-laden game.

AusGamers - 5 / 10

Playing in a squad is the experience in terms of actual playability, and on that front it’s fun to be in the midst of a distinct 1986 cinematic Aliens vibe for a time. Sharing in the look and feel, pointing out the similarities, the inconsistencies, and questioning some of the questionable logic. In the end the impressive, but static, visuals and sound design do a lot to put you into the universe. But, at best Aliens: Fireteam Elite is what you play in the arcade before jumping into the cinema proper.

Press Start - 5 / 10

Aliens: Fireteam Elite is a disappointment. Even as an avid fan of the franchise, the fun to be had here is limited. Misguided design, hamstrung presentation and painfully repetitive gameplay suck the fun out of what is, on paper, a promising game. I'd love to have had a meaty, cooperative survival game to play with friends, an escalating challenge that gradually expected more of me as a player, with a story more than just serviceable in moving from one mission to the next. This time, I'm only screaming in frustration.

Stevivor - 3.5 / 10

My experience with Aliens Fireteam Elite was frustrating, but aside from the technical issues I still don’t think it is very good. The repetitive nature of the missions, a lackluster atmosphere that is missing the horror and tension from its source material, and a boring gameplay loop which doesn’t evolve at all over the course of the handful of hours it takes to complete. Aliens Fireteam Elite is an uninspiring and dull game that should have been shot out of an airlock.

Game Rant - 1.5 / 5 stars

Aliens: Fireteam Elite has an interesting premise: co-op shooter set in the Alien universe where players must push their abilities, refine their build, and face a continuous onslaught of enemies. In reality, though, it’s a bug-filled slog that proves to be a one-trick pony.

ACG - Wait for Sale

"Poor sounds, poor level design, shallow upgrades once you track it, and lackluster AI, doesn't let this get past Boot status"

Ars Technica - Unscored

Aliens fans with friends should buy, as should anyone hungry for a more focused take on online co-op combat (read: less sprawling than The Division). Solo, offline players should tread extremely cautiously. Destiny and Borderlands fans may be unmoved.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

A short, sharp and fairly shallow take on the famed franchise nevertheless delivers on the full Aliens power fantasy.

Polygon - Unscored

The game presents a solid foundation that manages to surprise in a few respects, but doesn’t quite take the plunge in full. I was hoping this iteration on the Aliens universe would finally be the one unafraid to take risks. But I’ll have to wait for the next attempt to find out if it’s not just a hopeless wish.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

The Game Fanatics - Unscored

liens: Fireteam has a lot to offer while also cutting a few corners. I think that the 40-dollar price tag will make people a little less hesitant to jump in and try the game. It may not be the most visually striking game but it in no way looks bad. Initially, it looked like the game was going to have a lot of the same environments and enemies and that opens up a decent amount after you get out of the first missions. The game world expands and starts to incorporate lore and enemies from all of the movies. There are even some new enemy variants that have not been seen before. Aliens: Fireteam Elite is being released at the right time.

Vamers - Avoid

It comes as a massive disappointment to call Aliens: Fireteam Elite a mess, but that is exactly what it is. Take some solace in knowing many of the issues displayed in the game can easily be patched out; but gamers should never bank on that happening when purchasing a title. The game has a few things going for it (namely the franchise), but the sheer amount of unfortunate design decisions, whether out of budgetary constraints or release schedule, overshadows even those. With great sadness, Aliens: Fireteam Elite does nothing more for the Aliens franchise than Aliens: Colonial Marines before it… and that is a crying shame.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Aliens: Fireteam Elite (24 August 2021 - $40) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
On 8/23/2021 at 9:51 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

The soundtrack is really good.

Turns out Austin Wintory did the soundtrack

The soundtrack is REALLY good. Sound in general in the game is really well done. I had a mediocre first impression but after three missions I'm really digging the game. They really captured the feel of universe particularly the second movie which this is largley inspired by.

22 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm going to guess only by messing with the .ini file.

So I looked into it...and the only way to adjust FOV is using a UE4 unlocker app from github. Which, that's fine, I have the knowledge to do that...but apparently the developers actually fucking coded the accuracy of guns to be tied to FOV. So when you ADS (and FOV decreases), the guns become more accurate. Not the fact that you are ADSing, but the actual FOV itself determines accuracy. So if you increase FOV using this script, then your guns all lose accuracy (and you can't ADS).

That is why the game has no FOV slider, because the developers are completely useless. This might actually be a worse example of bad developers than when game speed is tied to framerate in older games.

Regardless, my two friends are buying it on PC, so I am unfortunately also going to.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...