The photos the AP took of 2020 are amazing

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Behold, a world in distress: A 64-year-old woman weeps, hugging her husband as he lay dying in the COVID-19 unit of a California hospital. A crowded refugee camp in Lesbos, Greece, engulfed...

There are WAY more photos in the link, and I recommend all of them. Here are some:

Agustina Canamero, 81, and Pascual Perez, 84, hug and kiss through a plastic film screen to avoid contracting the coronavirus at a nursing home in Barcelona, Spain, on June 22, 2020. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

2000.jpeg

Protesters storm the San Francisco de Borja church, which belongs to the Carabineros, Chile's national police force, in Santiago, Chile, on Oct. 18, 2020, the first anniversary of the start of anti-government mass protests over inequality. (AP Photo/Esteban Felix)

2000.jpeg

Sneakers and a Los Angeles Lakers jersey with the number 8 worn by NBA star Kobe Bryant hang at a memorial for Bryant in Los Angeles on Feb. 2, 2020, a week after he was killed in a helicopter crash. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)

2000.jpeg

Arif Mirbaghi plays a double bass in his backyard during mandatory self-isolation to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in Tehran, Iran, on April 5, 2020. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)

2000.jpeg

A protester carries a U.S. flag upside down as he walks past a burning building in Minneapolis on May 28, 2020, during a protest over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed a knee into his neck for several minutes. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

2000.jpeg

A woman bangs a pot in support of medical staff who are working on the front lines of the COVID-19 outbreak during a partial lockdown against the spread of the coronavirus in Brussels on March 31, 2020. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

2000.jpeg

Lanes are empty on the 110 Arroyo Seco Parkway that leads to downtown Los Angeles on April 26, 2020, as California remains on lockdown to avoid the spread of the coronavirus. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

2000.jpeg

A protester and a police officer shake hands in the middle of a standoff during a rally in New York on June 2, 2020, calling for justice over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died under the knee of a white police officer in Minneapolis on May 25. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)

2000.jpeg

Men with inner tubes wade through an abandoned highway tunnel with the aid of a safety line as they work to repair a self-created water system in the Esperanza neighborhood of Caracas, Venezuela, on June 11, 2020. Water service in Venezuela has gotten so bad that poor neighborhoods have started to rig private water systems or hand dig shallow wells. (AP Photo/Matias Delacroix)

2000.jpeg

President Donald Trump, returning from a campaign rally in Tulsa, Okla., walks across the South Lawn of the White House in Washington after stepping off the Marine One helicopter, early Sunday, June 21, 2020. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

2000.jpeg

Musicians rehears at the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona, Spain, on June 22, 2020. When the doors opened for the performance of Puccini’s “Crisantemi” by the UceLi Quartet, the 2,292 seats of the auditorium were occupied by plants and the performance was broadcast live online. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

2000.jpeg

Athletic Club and Real Madrid play during their Spanish La Liga soccer match at the San Manes stadium, which is nearly empty, in Bilbao, Spain, on July 5, 2020. (AP Photo/Alvaro Barrientos)

2000.jpeg

People flee from police officers after running out the back of a store carrying shoes in Upper Darby, Pa., on May 31, 2020, following protests over the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was killed by a police officer in Minneapolis on May 25. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

2000.jpeg

A road divides the Cerro Lagoon, where the water at right is colored and the Waltrading S.A. tannery stands on the bank, top right, in Limpio, Paraguay, on Aug. 5, 2020. According to Francisco Ferreira, a technician at the National University Multidisciplinary Lab, the color of the water is due to the presence of heavy metals like chromium, commonly used in the tannery process. (AP Photo/Jorge Saenz)

2000.jpeg

A woman wearing a protective face mask amid the coronavirus pandemic dances in a client's home in Mexico City on Aug. 8, 2020. The pandemic has forced businesses to adapt to a new normality and the adult entertainment industry is no exception. (AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo)

2000.jpeg

Embers light up a hillside behind the Bidwell Bar Bridge on Sept. 9, 2020, as the Bear Fire burns in Oroville, Calif., in this photo taken with a slow shutter speed. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

2000.jpeg

Jill Biden moves her husband, Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden, back from members of the media as he speaks outside his campaign plane in New Castle, Del., on Oct. 5, 2020. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

2000.jpeg

Former President Barack Obama speaks at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia as he campaigns for Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden on Oct. 21, 2020. (AP Photo/ Matt Slocum)

2000.jpeg

This image shot from a drone shows a reddish tint along the shore of the Great Salt Lake in Howell, Utah, on Oct. 8, 2020. The red hue of the north arm of the lake comes from a type of bacteria, known as halophilic bacteria, that flourishes when the salt level rises. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

2000.jpeg

Former Mayor of New York Rudy Giuliani, a lawyer for President Donald Trump, speaks during a news conference at the Republican National Committee headquarters in Washington on Nov. 19, 2020. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

2000.jpeg

People shoot off fireworks in Washington’s Black Lives Matter Plaza while celebrating president-elect Joe Biden's win over President Donald Trump to become the 46th president of the United States on Nov. 7, 2020. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

2000.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I remember the Kobe day... we went to this NHL fan fest event in St. Louis and it we were literally packed inside with thousands and thousands of people elbows to elbows everywhere. Just one of those crazy crowds where everyone is packed in like sardines... I was looking at pictures of it the other day and it seems so foreign. It makes me feel anxiety.

We were taking the subway back home and a random dude we didn't know just turned around to me two kids and said, HOLY SHIT, KOBE DIED IN A HELICOPTER CRASH.

I'm feeling more and more upset about this year as time goes on. I feel like the universe stole a year of childhood from my kids. They've been locked inside for 9 months now or whatever. It's their 5th and 2nd grade year. Those are important and they're just gone in a puff of smoke. The three of us have been locked at home schooling and working every day, day after day after day after day after fucking day and it's grinds you down. They hate home schooling and I have to be on their ass all the time and it's turning our relationship into an adversarial one and we're all fucking sick of each other and our relationship is suffering, everything is suffering. This year has sucked so much.

• Sad 1

I realized that we all have X number of years, so instead of wishing the year away (there's not a tangible difference between 12/31/20 and 1/1/21 besides the psychological), I made the best of it and honestly can say I've had a good time and made strides in areas I wanted to. And the end of this year has been truly enjoyable for me. So that's the advice I give to people.

And I give it with the caveat of, "Some of you are going through some shit and everyone's ability to do this is going to vary considerably." It's not like if you're a refugee in that first photo that it's easy to improve a skill for fun. Just saying in general, work on what you can control because your time here is your time here, and bettering what you're able to better -- and none of it has to change the fact of humanity, it can be as simple as enjoying sit-down time -- is the best option.