IPB 4.5 - Status Update Thread

stepee

3 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yes, we know that lots of stuff is broken and that will require some time for us to fix - please be patient!

No rush, better to take your time and not nuke the board 😂

Here are the options for themes until we get everything fixed:

1. IPS Default (blindingly white)
  2. IPS Grey (thinking oldschool IGN Boards colorscheme for the most part)
  3. Playstation (black)

Playstation is kinda borked in that it'll definitely look screwy in places, but I don't think it's in a way that makes it unusable if you have to have a black theme, especially considering it's only until we can get everything fixed.

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Huh, I wonder what the issue is. 

From the patch notes:

• Changed the default font-family from a Helvetica stack to a system-ui stack.

You're not one of those people who uses Comic Sans as your system font on your phone, are you? :p

I would also suggest turning off the "feature" that embeds links and turns them into little media posts (with the image, etc). They are a hassle to get rid of.

e.g. when I post a link, it puts in this bs:

CBP.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The box clearly says OnePlus Buds — not AirPods.

It happens regardless of pasting as plain text or regular text.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Man the CSS rules on "modern" boards suck.

Designer: "Hey, what if we put 50px padding between all elements?"

Other Designer: "Sounds great!"

IIRC this has always been an issue with the IPS Default theme. That's one of the reasons I always used Retro, @Emblazonwas able to get rid of all the stupid padding. 

OK, this will be the official thread where we talk about the changes with the update to IPB 4.5 and the implementation status of the fixes.

Themes

Naturally, this is our highest priority because all of the themes aren't exactly up-to-snuff.  For our "dark" themes, this is dependent on IPS Focus updating their "Animate" theme to be compatible with IPB 4.5 as both the "PlayStation" and "Dreamcast" themes are variations of Animate.  IPS Focus is methodically working its way through updating all of their themes to be IPB 4.5 compatible, and it appears that Animate will be next on the list.  For our "light" themes, @Emblazon will work on fixing those when he gets the chance.

Topic Prefixes

Our original plugin for this functionality stopped being supported back February 2019 so with the IPB 4.5 update we decided to switch to a new plugin that is essentially its successor.  We imported the prefixes/tags and their configuration from our old plugin into the new one, but for some reason that we can't figure out, the prefixes ("Microsoft"/"Sony"/"PC"/etc.) are no longer clickable as they were in the old plugin.  I've asked the developer of the new plugin for assistance.

If you recall, our posts used to have a button called "Go to top" at the bottom of them.  Well, that plugin stopped being supported by its developer back in May 2018, but it still continued to function through the various IPB software updates.  Unfortunately, it appears that the IPB 4.5 update finally killed it once and for all.  Instead, the new plug in places an up arrow at the bottom right hand corner of the page that appears once you being scrolling downward.  Just click the button and you'll return to the top of the page.

External Links Rich Text Embed

This is functionality that I decided to buy for the site to "modernize" it a bit by allowing for a preview of a posted external URL inside the editor.  When an external link is pasted into the editor, it is automatically expanded into a preview of the content, usually with an accompanying image, allowing users to click through to that content if they are interested.  For example, all I did was post this link from PC Gamer and it generated the rich text preview on its own:

uJAFjdNoDSdLMe3fmDktY9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Pfft, Master Chief isn't even the protagonist in this one.

Now, if you're some kind of luddite and this type of intense visual experience is too much for you, you can hit Ctrl+Z or the "Undo" button in the editor to remove the rich text formatting.

Alright, we'll keep everyone updated as we progress!

• Like 1

@Emperor Diocletian II I don't have time to go through and fix all of them right now, but for the prefixes where the name of the prefix has become illegible because it's dark-on-dark, the fix is easy.

Click on edit and you'll get something like this:

<span class="ipsBadge" style="background-color:#e70009;">{tag}</span>

I tested on a couple of them and all you have to do is add in the color tag:

<span class="ipsBadge" style="background-color:#107c10; color: white;">{tag}</span>

For simplicity I just went with "color: white;" but you could obviously use other colors or color codes.

50 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

HUZZAH!

I have figured out the Prefix problem!  I just gotta do some CSS code manipulation!

Edit: Done!  The Prefixes work as intended again!

:twothumbsup:

Did the developer get back to you or did you figure it out yourself?

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

:twothumbsup:

Did the developer get back to you or did you figure it out yourself?

Figured it out on my own, thank you very much!

Now, I'm not entirely sure that I modified the CSS code entirely correctly because as you can see, the Prefixes aren't populating the Tag Cloud.  So, I've asked the developer  to review one of the code lines to see if he can identify where the error lies.

12 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Figured it out on my own, thank you very much!

Now, I'm not entirely sure that I modified the CSS code entirely correctly because as you can see, the Prefixes aren't populating the Tag Cloud.  So, I've asked the developer  to review one of the code lines to see if he can identify where the error lies.

:thumbup:

The prefixes didn't used to show on the front page, did they? I mean like this:

image.png

Not a huge priority I guess, it's just that it eats up quite a bit of space and I could see it crowding out most of the title for a prefix like General Gaming.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

:thumbup:

The prefixes didn't used to show on the front page, did they? I mean like this:

image.png

Not a huge priority I guess, it's just that it eats up quite a bit of space and I could see it crowding out most of the title for a prefix like General Gaming.

I decided to enable that functionality.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks like the "upvote" bug is back. That is if multiple people give a reaction to a post it shows the same person numerous times giving the same reaction to the same post rather than every unique person who gave the reaction.

Example:

spacer.png

Patches giveth and patches taketh away.