~*The Music Thread*`

Messa is a funky/jazzy/ambient/doom/kitchen sink type of band. 

Ulcerate members in a black/death wall of sound type, I dig it but I can see a lot of folks hating it.

This seems to be really popular in the metal scene right now. Not my cup of tea at all 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So last year I didn't make a thread for the best albums list. I partially wanted to see if someone else would make it or pester me to. Neither happened. In any case since it takes me a long time to come to a consensus I finished mine and put it on my website.

Read it if you want ( @GeneticBlueprint ) and tell me how wrong I  am. :p

Best-2021-WIP.jpg
WWW.1PLUS1INDUSTRIES.COM

These are the best, top ten, music albums of the year 2021 as selected by myself. Honorable mentions are included!

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So last year I didn't make a thread for the best albums list. I partially wanted to see if someone else would make it or pester me to. Neither happened. In any case since it takes me a long time to come to a consensus I finished mine and put it on my website.

Read it if you want ( @GeneticBlueprint ) and tell me how wrong I  am. :p

Best-2021-WIP.jpg
WWW.1PLUS1INDUSTRIES.COM

These are the best, top ten, music albums of the year 2021 as selected by myself. Honorable mentions are included!

Harakiri should have been #1.

I didn't do a post this year because I've been busy. But I did make a top 10 for a friend on Discord so I guess I can just copy/paste that here.

Honorable mentions in no particular order:

Rag'n'Bone Man - Life by Misadventure

VOLA - Witness

Dream Theater - A View from the Top of the World

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

Gatecreeper - An Unexpected Reality

Enforced - Kill Grid

Stormkeep - Tales of Othertime (I'm just getting into this this week otherwise it'd definitely be in my top 10)

Actual list

10. CANNIBAL CORPSE - Violence Unimagined - A 31 year 15 album spanning career and they're still releasing this insanity. I'm here for it.

9. AEPHANEMER - A Dream of Wilderness - Operatic baroque virtuosity always found a home in metal music but this album is like the inverse of that somehow.

8. BE'LAKOR - Coherence - There is something about this band's take on melodeath that I really like. It's not as heavy as other melodeath, it misses some of the staples of the genre as well, but it still speaks to me. Their last album came out over 5 years ago. Been waiting a hot minute for this one.

7. RIVERS OF NIHIL - The Work - The range, technicality, and heartfelt emotion packed into this record make a death metal album almost psychedelic.

6. ARCHSPIRE - Bleed the Future - The percussion on this album is the most interesting and technical drumming I've heard in a long, long time. So is the bass work. And the guitar work. And vocal work. All the work. Maybe the title of the last album on my list is effecting my commentary here.

5. MASTODON - Hushed and Grim - Everything after Leviathan of Mastodon's albums are all growers not showers for me. This album was no exception. I love it more every time I listen to it. There's something about the way that they write just SONGS that are just SONGS but are also really proggy and interesting. But I still love the really heavy shit.

4. SCALE THE SUMMIT - Subjects - Chris Letchford is probably my favorite modern guitar player. StS's instrumental albums have been a staple in my collection but I do love this album because it pulls in guest vocalists from across the metal spectrum and it's great.

3. GOJIRA - Fortitude - My love for the band is probably leading me to place this a lot higher than it should but I wish more bands were this political in their lyrics and imagery.

2. BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME - Colors II - These guys are like on the cusp of moving from my 'favorite bands right now' list to my 'all time favorite bands' list. Always trying new things but always still being themselves.

1. HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY - Mære - I'm just a sucker for angsty melodious emotional stuff I guess. Their previous album was my #1 of 2018. Not surprised this album made the same placement. Their songs are long. And loud. And each one will have one or two moments where it tones down and gets super melodious.

• Thanks 1

My top 50 albums of 2021 (in alphabetical order):

Ad Infinitum - Chapter II: Legacy

Anette Olzon - Strong

As Everything Unfolds - Within Each Lies the Other

Blutengel - Erlosung: The Victory of Light

Burning Witches - The Witch of the North

Catalyst Crime - Catalyst Crime

Chiasm and John Fryer - Missed the Noise

Cradle of Filth - Existence is Futile

Crystal Viper - The Cult

Dark Sarah - Grim

Dust in Mind - Ctrl

Edge of Paradise - The Unknown

Eisbrecher - Leibe Macht Monster

Enemy Inside - Seven

Epica - Omega

Evanescence - The Bitter Truth

Everdawn - Cleopatra

Fear Factory - Aggression Continuum

Front Line Assembly - Mechanical Soul

Frozen Crown - Winterbane

Funker Vogt - Element 115

Garbage - No Gods No Masters

Gemini Syndrome - 3rd Degree: The Raising

Heart Healer - The Metal Opera

Imperative Reaction - Mirror

Imperia - The Last Horizon

Inner Stream - Stain the Sea

The Letter Black - The Letter Black

Lord of the Lost - Judas

Lucia Cifarelli - I Am Eye

Mechanical Moth - Mirrors

Metalite - A Virtual World

Moonlight Haze - Lunaris

Moonspell - Hermitage

The Murder of My Sweet - A Gentleman’s Legacy

Not My God - Simulacra

Omnimar - Darkpop

Phantom Elite - Titanium

Plush - Plush

Poppy - Flux

The Pretty Reckless - Death By Rock and Roll

Rage of Light - Redemption

Seven Spires - Gods of Debauchery

Sirenia - Riddles, Ruins & Revelations

Skarlett Riot - Invicta

Skold - Dies Irae

Terminal - Blacken the Skies

Theatres des Vampires - In Nomine Sanguinis

Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon

Wumpscut - Fledermaus 303

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Its good stuff , just not my taste. I am just glad to have a few metal heads on this board.

I like what I’ve heard of some of the metal that you and others have been posting here, but I tend to be more into goth and symphonic metal since I’m a big fan of darkwave and industrial music as well. I like me some good old hard and heavy rock too, as well as some alternative and indie stuff.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When I heard that Frontline Assembly album I knew it would make @Phaseknox top 100 of the year.

Of course, FLA has been one of my favorite bands since the 90s. Industrial music in general has been one of my favorite genres since I was younger. I used to go to goth industrial clubs all the time in my 20s and 30s. Now I’m 52, so my club days are behind me. :p

52 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I like what I’ve heard of some of the metal that you and others have been posting here, but I tend to be more into goth and symphonic metal since I’m a big fan of darkwave and industrial music as well. I like me some good old hard and heavy rock too, as well as some alternative and indie stuff.

Did you listen to that Unto Others album that was on my list? I think you might dig it. It's not really symphonic but it is a tinge gothic I think.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Did you listen to that Unto Others album that was on my list? I think you might dig it. It's not really symphonic but it is a tinge gothic I think.

I just went through your top 10 albums of 2021 list, and I really like Illudium, Japanese Breakfast, Unto Others and Wolves in the Throne Room. Unto Others definitely has a goth rock sound somewhat similar to Dommin which I like. Thanks for bringing these bands to my attention, I will be getting their albums that you listed as well as checking out their past works.

• Thanks 1