New Mutants is really coming out 8/28

We actually already received the hard drive for the movie. Rumor has it that Disney has to go theatrical with the thing in order to be able to to do any home video release, so they are dumping it now. 

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We actually already received the hard drive for the movie. Rumor has it that Disney has to go theatrical with the thing in order to be able to to do any home video release, so they are dumping it now. 

So does this mean a quick turn around to get the VOD ?

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

So does this mean a quick turn around to get the VOD ?

I think this is quite likely. Would be surprised if it isn't on VOD in September.

8 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

just dump it onto D+ already

Can’t without a theatrical run due to contractural obligations. Otherwise it would have been on streaming months ago.

19 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Then they should have given it to you months ago so they could dump it on D+ already. But maybe they hate money. Maybe. 

My hunch is there was a certain screen count it needed to have to meet the contractural obligation and they couldn’t hit that without the majors, hence releasing finally right when the big chains are coming online the last two weekends in August.

• 2 weeks later...

https://screenrant.com/new-mutants-movie-reviews-preview/

After multiple delays, New Mutants is now out in theaters that are open throughout the country. Disney didn't screen the movie for critics beforehand, but reviewers who decided to go see it in theaters are now starting to publish their thoughts on the film. So far, the early reviews for New Mutants are among the lowest for the franchise. Here are some excerpts of what critics are saying:

Barry Hertz, Globe and Mail

It is difficult to pinpoint exactly where Boone goes wrong, because there are just so many options to choose from.

Jordan Mintzer, THR

Generic and, at its best, straining to be heartfelt, director Josh Boone’s adaptation of the Marvel spin-off comic series is a Marvel movie spinoff in its own right, making vague references to the X-Men franchise but attempting to stand on its own.

Rachel Wagner, Rachel's Reviews

There are also messy parts of The New Mutants. It starts very small and can’t quite bear the weight of its ending. In addition, some of the cinematography and visual effects felt more of the CW variety than a major superhero property. Nevertheless, I still had a good time watching this film!

Brian Orndorf, BluRay.com

A plodding viewing experience, even with lowered expectations. It's a better fit for television, as Boone is making a network pilot, not a big screen experience.

Dan Murrell, Dan Murrell Reviews

A movie from a bygone era when Fox was its own company that didn't quite know what to do with X-Men movies.

Travis Hopson, Punch Drunk Critics

But those going in expecting a complete disaster given the circumstances, and unceremonious dumping by Disney in the midst of a pandemic, will find that it’s at least a serviceable superhero horror story that might’ve led to an envelope-pushing franchise if things had gone another way.

Hope Madden, Columbus Underground

It doesn't really work as an angsty romance, misses the mark as a horror movie and never for a minute feels like a superhero flick.

Sean Chandler, Sean Chandler Talks About

If you ever wanted The Breakfast Club as a horror film set in the X-Men universe, you now have it. It may not fully live up to the potential of that sentence, but I had a good time with it.

Doesn't sound good at all...

New Mutants Co-creator ain't too happy with this film adaptation

The New Mutants co-creator Bob McLeod has taken to Facebook to slam the movie's whitewashing and misspelling of his name.The New Mutants is a group of mutant superheroes in the Marvel Comics universe that debuted in a 1982 comic of the same name. It was written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Bob McLeod. The artist drew each of the characters in his own vision and he's apparently not too happy with the film's depiction of those characters.

"I was very excited when I heard they were making a New Mutants movie," McLeod said in a Facebook post made on Aug. 28. "I thought making it into a horror movie was perhaps an interesting idea, but not at all how the characters should be introduced to the public at large. But, hey, my characters in a movie! I never would have thought that would actually happen. But then, I was disappointed that they didn't give Dani braids, although I like Blu Hunt."

McLeod continued and said he was disappointed that Rahne, who is played by Maisie Williams in the movie, wasn't a redhead with spiky hair, and that Sam, played by Charlie Heaton, wasn't tall and gawky. McLeod then brings attention to what he deemed "yet another example of Hollywood white-washing."

"But mainly I was very disappointed that Roberto isn't short and dark-skinned," McLeod said. "There's just no excuse. So basically, #JoshBoone erased everything that I contributed to the way the characters look."

To add fuel to the fire, McLeod's name was misspelled in the credits of the movie as it credited someone named "Bob Macleod" as the creator. This is obviously a typo on the film's part but this is arguably something that should have been caught by at least one person in the movie making process.

"They couldn't even be bothered to check the spelling of my name sometime in the last three years. And that can't be fixed. That will be on the movie forever. I think I'm done with this movie."

Sunspot has changed over time the original creation was very dark skinned but new iterations have him much lighter 

Original vs Actor

Racially Insensitive Casting: Henry Zaga (Reportedly) as Sunspot in "X-Men: New  Mutants" - JUST ADD COLOR-Affirming Ourselves Through Entertainment

New Mutants cast features a familiar X-Men face

The New Mutants (2020) | Page 5 | RPGnet Forums

The actor is Brazilian but not Afro Brazilian , I think some leeway should be afforded when it comes to making comic movies.  

as is if it freaking matters. Hell they made Valkyrie black even though in the comics she was typically a blond white chick. Did it seem like an odd choice to me when the movie came out? Sure, but did I care? No. Thompson did a great job with the role and that was all that mattered. Does this guy do a good job with the role?  (no seriously, does he? I haven't seen it) :p 

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

as is if it freaking matters. Hell they made Valkyrie black even though in the comics she was typically a blond white chick. Did it seem like an odd choice to me when the movie came out? Sure, but did I care? No. Thompson did a great job with the role and that was all that mattered. Does this guy do a good job with the role?  (no seriously, does he? I haven't seen it) :p 

I think you've got the wrong take here. Marvel is trying to make their movies more diverse by putting people of color in it. Making a person of color white is not the same as the other way around.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you've got the wrong take here. Marvel is trying to make their movies more diverse by putting people of color in it. Making a person of color white is not the same as the other way around.

oh I get it. I just don't care :p  I think the only time a character's 'color' matters if it the source material really makes it clear that their color is integral to who they are. ie You wouldn't have a white person play Martin Luther King. Of course these are fictional characters and thus easier to flip the script on so to speak. The only character I can think of where it honestly bothered me was Roland for the Dark Tower. Of course I still haven't gotten around to watching that thing, but being such a fan of the books the idea of Idris playing Roland, despite him being an excellent actor, just didn't make any sense to me. Racial tension/dynamic was one of the many a focal points in several of those books. 

Of course everyone focuses on the racial thing, but the artist who designed the characters had specific issues with how SEVERAL of the characters were depicted... he designed them and he had his reasons for designing them the way he did. If he has an issue with it he's free to speak his mind. And the New Mutants, like the second team of Xmen, were created  to be diverse and reflect a bunch of young mutants from ALL around the world. That's why Bob MCcleod is a little pissed, because they were never intended to look like they stepped off a CW show. On top of that they misspelled the poor guy's name! He has every right to be a lil' salty.

AT the end of the day who cares? This movie will be a footnote anyway and Disney is lucky they put it out when they did because its probably gonna make more money than it would otherwise.

10 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

oh I get it. I just don't care :p  I think the only time a character's 'color' matters if it the source material really makes it clear that their color is integral to who they are. ie You wouldn't have a white person play Martin Luther King. Of course these are fictional characters and thus easier to flip the script on so to speak. The only character I can think of where it honestly bothered me was Roland for the Dark Tower. Of course I still haven't gotten around to watching that thing, but being such a fan of the books the idea of Idris playing Roland, despite him being an excellent actor, just didn't make any sense to me. Racial tension/dynamic was one of the many a focal points in several of those books. 

spoiler if you haven't read the novels.

Spoiler

The problem with that thought is that the movie takes place after the novels. Who's to say he would be white and/or look the same when he starts over? We don't necessarily know the events have to happen exactly the same also.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

spoiler if you haven't read the novels.

Hide contents

The problem with that thought is that the movie takes place after the novels. Who's to say he would be white and/or look the same when he starts over? We don't necessarily know the events have to happen exactly the same also.

as I said, I haven't watched the movie yet, however

Spoiler

it's been a while but if I recall correctly there is only the minutest of changes when the cycle begins again. flipping from white to black would send earthquake level ripples through his story

So the Latin actor playing a Latin character isn’t the right shade of brown? I feel like we have more pressing issues regarding diversity in Hollywood :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

So the Latin actor playing a Latin character isn’t the right shade of brown? I feel like we have more pressing issues regarding diversity in Hollywood :p 

I know a couple of Afro-Latinos who would definitely beg to differ with you.

39 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

you just don't understand!!! clearly you aren't woke enough ;) 

You guys BOTH know that there are Caucasian latinos, Afro-latinos and indigenous (native) latinos right? Like you HAVE to know that, right? You DO know that the largest number of Black African descendents outside of Africa are NOT in America, but Brazil and that race relations over ther are even WORSE than here, right? That Afro Latinos are going through their own civil rights movement in central and South America right now.  You dudes DO know that right? Go ahead and call a "White" Cuban or Spainard "brown" or worse "Black" and watch the dirty looks you'll get.

"Latinos" (or Latin-X if you're TRULY "woke") are not some homogenous group of "brown" people. My ex's mother was Spanish from Spain and her father was Afro-Cuban but she identifies as "Black" for no other reason other than the fact that growing up in Southern California, she was not accepted by the predominant Hispanic community there which was Mexican because she had curly hair. 

So while this may not be a big deal to either of YOU, there are some people for which this stuff resonates and dismissing it simply because you can't relate to it or don't understand it isn't that much different than dismissing ANY concerns about diversity and representation. Here's just ONE of many videos online you can find discussing the Afro latino perspective

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No man, that is news to me.

I KNOW you're fucking with me, right? If not, this young brother breaks it down pretty well

14 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Crazy to even see marketing on TV for this movie. 

What's even crazier is that they were gonna dump this movie... now it's probably gonna be pretty profitable for them just because of timing. I know at one point they were REAL close to just putting it on Hulu.

Of course. And without getting into a long discourse on the topic, there was a time in the not too recent past that you wouldn’t even end up with a Latin actor playing a Latin character. This particular character is biracial and has been drawn any number of ways based on the image collection above. Some even remind me of my oldest son.

That reminds me of a story my granny told me about my dad and his siblings. He was always a few shades lighter than his siblings, who I would say are medium to dark. They would actually give my dad the business about how he acted and looked, saying he wanted to be white and was lucky he was so light. One summer when he was around 14 he spent a couple of weeks at some sort of camp and stayed in the sun the whole time. When he came back we was noticeably darker and never got much lighter than that. His siblings mercilessly mocked him for having to be dark like them.

Older siblings can be brutal :lol:

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That reminds me of a story my granny told me about my dad and his siblings. He was always a few shades lighter than his siblings, who I would say are medium to dark. They would actually give my dad the business about how he acted and looked, saying he wanted to be white and was lucky he was so light. One summer when he was around 14 he spent a couple of weeks at some sort of camp and stayed in the sun the whole time. When he came back we was noticeably darker and never got much lighter than that. His siblings mercilessly mocked him for having to be dark like them.

Older siblings can be bruta:lol:

As the oldest amongst my siblings I concur.