New Mutants is really coming out 8/28

I ended up going to see this tonight at the last minute. I looked at my local AMC's site shortly before it was going to start, and saw that no tickets had been bought yet. By the time I got there, there were two other people in the auditorium, and we were pretty well spread out. If this counts as risking my life, :shrug:. For what it's worth, this is pretty close what my typical trip to the theater was like pre-COVID. Yay off-days. 

Anyway, I would classify this movie as a vaguely interesting failure. I can see what he was going for, but it never really lands. 

Kingsman has been delayed by Disney to February 2021 providing further evidence that New Mutants only opened due to the contractural obligation to go theatrical.

14 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Anyway, I would classify this movie as a vaguely interesting failure. I can see what he was going for, but it never really lands. 

I haven't seen it yet, but while this is co-writer/director Josh Boone's approved cut, he's explained that the movie is made up of 75% of the footage they intended to shoot. The last 25% to be done during normally scheduled reshoots never happened because it was after principal photography but before reshoots that the movie started getting futzed around with in terms of finishing it and releasing it so Josh Boone didn't get to shoot a fourth, theoretically, of the material he intended to. Disney let him go back to cut the movie with additional money to finish all the special effects shots and stuff much more recently but Boone still never got to do those planned reshoots, so that may have affected the quality of the film to some degree. At least we're getting his preferred cut. He has explained that he debated doing reshoots under Disney but that it would have been impossible because the actors had so obviously aged out of their characters at that point. So, this is what we get.

I am looking forward to his The Stand miniseries adaptation though coming in December.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

HBO Max? It’s a Disney property: more likely to go on Hulu, right?

HBO and Fox have a longstanding output deal that gives the pay cable network first-run TV rights, that is currently set to expire in 2022. Even after the Fox acquisition in 2019, that deal still remained in place. And everything that airs on HBO — which will premiere “New Mutants” on its linear channel at some point after whatever theatrical run the film has is completed — is automatically available on HBO Max.

It’s why other Disney-owned films produced by Fox, like Brad Pitt’s “Ad Astra,” have to gone to HBO (and thus, HBO Max) before any Disney-owned property. The only way to watch those films on Hulu is if you have an HBO account through the streaming service.

mutants.gif
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

The latest "X-Men" film will not immediately head to Disney's streaming services Hulu or Disney+ — but rather a rival service, HBO Max. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/16/2020 at 10:24 AM, Spork3245 said:

Did anyone else see this movie? Impressions? Looks like it's coming to streaming tomorrow. The reviews are telling me to save my money, but on the other hand, there's nothing else to watch! :p 

On 8/30/2020 at 10:55 PM, TheLeon said:

I ended up going to see this tonight at the last minute. I looked at my local AMC's site shortly before it was going to start, and saw that no tickets had been bought yet. By the time I got there, there were two other people in the auditorium, and we were pretty well spread out. If this counts as risking my life, :shrug:. For what it's worth, this is pretty close what my typical trip to the theater was like pre-COVID. Yay off-days. 

On 8/31/2020 at 9:22 PM, TheLeon said:

I would be very interested in a rundown of exactly what he didn’t get to shoot. I can see where another 20-30 minutes would have helped, but you’re probably still looking at like a 6/10 at most. 

There was one impression, but I wouldn't mind Leon expanding more on what he saw because I saw it on Blu-Ray/UHD at Best Buy recently and wondered how many people knew it even existed!

My memory is garbage. Please don't ask me for more details about a mediocre movie I saw once seven months ago. :p

I don't remember where I got this phrase, but I went into this movie expecting "John Hughes meets John Carpenter". And that seems to be the general idea: throw a bunch of moody superpowered teens together, they have all the standard teen conflicts but eventually bond, then they have to team up to defeat the big bad as it turns into a supernatural horror film. But neither side of that formula really shines, and the movie overall doesn't gain anything from mashing them together. As a teen dramedy it is pretty barebones, and the horror bits aren't particularly scary or thrilling. 

• 2 weeks later...