Hellpoint - Launch Trailer, update: current gen upgrade and "Blue Sun" expansion announced for July 12 release

Pikachu

Hellpoint is an intense action RPG taking place on Irid Novo, a derelict space station soaked in an intoxicating dark sci-fi atmosphere. Fight dreadful creatures, face the Cosmic Gods and unravel their twisted story. Should the challenge be too great, play with a friend in local or online coop.

Game Information

Game Title: Hellpoint

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Jul 30, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Jul 30, 2020)
  • PC (Jul 30, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jan 1, 2020)

Publisher: Tinybuild

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 64 average - 22% recommended

Critic Reviews

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

Hellpoint is an excellent take on the Souls-like formula that incorporates some fresh new ideas despite a few hiccups.

But Why Tho? - 8 / 10

Hellpoint is, mechanically, a typical game in the Dark Souls genre. However, the sci-fi theme is really what separates it from other games. Although the upgrade systems aren’t always intuitive and the game has a few other minor issues, the unique enemies and story make up for it. Hellpoint is a hard game but well worth the struggle.

GideonsGaming - 8 / 10

Hellpoint is a stellar souls-like, so much, in fact, that I don’t believe it to be an inspired child of its parent games. It can stand alongside titles like Dark Souls as an equal, matching its quality pound for pound. If the technical issues can be put to bed in a post-release patch, that fact will be cemented within the game’s legacy.

Wccftech - 7.5 / 10

Hellpoint is certainly cut from the all-too-familiar Souls cloth when it comes to character progression and combat, but it's the sense of exploration that makes this one Soulslike that shouldn't be missed.

GameSkinny - 7 / 10 stars

If Dark Souls were set in space, it would be Hellpoint, a strong souls-like marred only by its similarities to so many others in its genre.

GameWatcher - 7 / 10

Prepare to Die... IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Despite being a bit basic in terms of combat and controls, Hellpoint is a good action-RPG, with a interesting universe, a nice level design, a cool cooperative splitscreen mode.

God is a Geek - 7 / 10

Hellpoint may not ultimately stick in the memory long after you're done, but it's a solid enough challenge that will keep fans of the genre busy for a while.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 7 / 10

Hellpoint is a fun game that presents a well-balanced challenge with many secrets and areas to explore, but it lacks in visual appeal and suffers from persistent performance issues.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6.5 / 10

Hellpoint is a sci-fi Souls-like with one killer feature: local split screen co-op. The rest of the game lacks the polish of its obvious sources of inspiration, and ultimately the technical issues including a wildly inconsistent frame rate, hit detection problems, and interface glitches hold Hellpoint back from achieving more. But if you're looking for a Souls-like hit that you can take with a friend, you may want to check out Hellpoint, albeit with tempered expectations.

PlayStation Universe - 6.5 / 10

I love these types of games but Hellpoint, mainly due to its framerate, responsiveness, and lore, falls behind most other games in the genre. Its exploration, character building and combat is a carbon copy of Dark Souls but it lacks the substance, character, and playability of the games it takes its inspiration from. Its a shame really, unless you have played every other game in this genre, there are many better examples of this style of game to play.

IGN - 6 / 10

Significant bugs, performance issues, and an almost entirely unoriginal foundation hold Hellpoint back from greatness, but the creepy atmosphere and satisfying combat progression manage to salvage some enjoyment for this sci-fi Souls-like.

Just Push Start - 3 / 5

Ultimately, Hellpoint is the worst kind of inspiration by game. Outside of visuals elements and design, it feels like someone wanted to offer their own take on something like Dark Souls, without the understanding of what makes those games fun.

WayTooManyGames - 6 / 10

Hellpoint is a Souls-like game that is actually really close to being good. The black hole mechanic was a noble attempt at adding something unique to this subgenre of games, but it’s not enough to make up for the uninspired level design, framerate issues, boring story and dull combat.

Gamers Heroes - 55 / 100

Hellpoint might have been a decent Souls clone if it didn't suffer from so many technical problems. A few more months in the oven would have done it wonders, but it is an easy skip in its current state.

PC Invasion - 4 / 10

Hellpoint tries to incorporate familiar concepts you've seen from more popular action titles such as the Souls series. Unfortunately, it also adds various ideas that turn it into a jumbled mess. Combined with cryptic presentation of information, confusing level layouts, clunky combat, and abysmally bad platforming mechanics, it's one game that you'll say "Oh, hell no" to.

Screen Rant - 2 / 5 stars

When Dark Souls meets sci-fi, Hellpoint is born.

cublikefoot - Avoid

Hellpoint obviously has a lot of effort going into it, but it never quite felt like I was playing anything other than an average Souls-like with plenty of bugs and less then stellar level design. I’ll give it some credit for doing the combat better than a lot of similar games, but that unfortunately could not outshine its issues. Maybe the bugs can be patched with time, but stuff like the level design and overall graphics are likely here to stay.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

ok... you're wrong but okay

No. It is shitty filler work. Kill X animals for X items, and then gather these items from the environment, oh, but some are rare and spawn in certain weather conditions, (depending on the game) but if you fast travel the weather and time completely changes and there goes your rare item. Get fucked, player. Good luck getting your shitty arrow quiver or whatever. 

Just give me a fucking boss to kill, or puzzle to solve, or dungeon to explore and just put the item there. Crafting is for people who don't like playing games and just want to be busy. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

No. It is shitty filler work. Kill X animals for X items, and then gather these items from the environment, oh, but some are rare and spawn in certain weather conditions, (depending on the game) but if you fast travel the weather and time completely changes and there goes your rare item. Get fucked, player. Good luck getting your shitty arrow quiver or whatever. 

Just give me a fucking boss to kill, or puzzle to solve, or dungeon to explore and just put the item there. Crafting is for people who don't like playing games and just want to be busy. 

It sounds like the only crafting you're familiar with is literally shit from Ubisoft games. I rather like the crafting in FFXIV, and I hate crafting in just about most games. Crafting classes have their own skills and abilities and gear and you don't just get to click a button to shit out an item, you have to actually craft it like a cross between a battle and a light puzzle, managing your resources to determine its quality and whether you even finish it. I hate crafting where you just get an item and hit a button and watch a bar fill up, because it's not "crafting," it's collecting shit and then giving you an extra step before you get what you want. I also like Dragon Quest XI's crafting, because it's similar to FFXIV's.

I am not really a fan of FFXIV's crafting. Like, it is way better than most other systems, that is for sure, but I have no real interesting interest in anything that isn't Dungeons and Questing and stuff like that. Like, I feel like I am progressing in the game when I raid or quest or something. But I don't feel that way towards crafting. It feels like I am actively halting my progress when I take up crafting. Even when I finally build that Weapon or Armor I feel like "I can finally play the game now." instead of feeling any accomplishment. I don't take up professions in WoW either. I go Engineering for the Goblin Glider, and then I just grab a gathering profession to sell the flowers or ore I get while doing world content. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:48 PM, Bacon said:

I agree with this. I hate crafting. I’d rather find the weapon from a boss or in a chest at the back of or a cave or shrine or something. I don’t wanna worry about mashing X as I run through the world to pick up mats. 

24 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is this a full price game?

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I’d say it’s a 30.00 game. There are plenty of areas, secrets, and many bosses. I’ve already invested about 20 hours into the game and would guess I’m about 50% done.

The full price of the game is $34.99 BTW.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Hellpoint - Launch Trailer, update: current gen upgrade and "Blue Sun" expansion announced for July 12 release