Nintendo after the Switch.

CastletonSnob

As we all know, the Switch is a huge success. But what will Nintendo do afterwards? They're about to be way behind in power with the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Will they just make a more powerful Switch? Will they make a new console entirely? And if they do, will they have another Wii U-level failure on their hands?

They've said whatever they do with the next console will be springboard off the lessons learned with the Switch, including keeping their game divisions all working on the same platform and possibly having two different SKUs centered around different functionality.

As for power, I don't think they have anything to worry about if they do something similar to Switch.  Partnering with NVIDIA again would also be a huge boon.  DLSS 2.0 is getting crazy results with low resolution bases, upscaling 540p to a 1080p that looks better than 1080p native.  If they can tap into that in handheld mode, it's going to punch well above its weight.

I'm thinking its still at least two years away.  Gotta get the tech battery efficient and cheaper to produce.

I think we’ve seen the pinnacle of what Nintendo has been building towards. At this point I think we just see improvements of the Switch. Getting 1080p in handhold would be the next giant step imo. 

also for the love of god please get all the old games into the online system the way Wii did. I want to play N64 games on the switch soooo bad haha

19 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Whatever they do, it better finally be back compat 

There should be less barriers this time that coming from the Wii U.  Nintendo platforms typically are back compatible one gen.  They could rip it away with a revision though, which is also typical Nintendo.

I would like to see the same TV to handheld link, without a dock. Then the natural progression of more powerful specs to keep things ticking along. I don't necessarily know whether I'd want to the controller to be detachable as with the Switch, just to create a more solid system overall. 

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

See, I just don’t care about this. Im fine playing games on their original consoles.

You wouldn't prefer to play games on better hardware, with potentially better performance?  Not sure if Nintendo games will be able to do that, but if I can play some of these Nintendo games at better performance, I'd love that.

Similar to how Xbox managed to have 360 games perform better on Xbox One.  With so many games have scaling resolutions, more powerful hardware should help them appear much better.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

You wouldn't prefer to play games on better hardware, with potentially better performance?  Not sure if Nintendo games will be able to do that, but if I can play some of these Nintendo games at better performance, I'd love that.

Its not that I don’t want it, its just that its not a factor in if I get it or not. 

the major thing I want from them is a robust online system like ms/sony

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Similar to how Xbox managed to have 360 games perform better on Xbox One.  With so many games have scaling resolutions, more powerful hardware should help them appear much better.

I don’t trust Nintendo to increase performance when they have a pattern of trying to preserve the original performance and look. 

That said, if DLSS is a thing on it, resolution bumps for Switch games could be as easy for them as ticking a box.  That’s with no effort whatsoever with patches and the like.