Discord to "rebrand" itself in shift away from gaming focus

The company says it wants to be more inclusive to all of its users.

It doesn't have a new name, but Discord is effectively rebranding away from being an app dedicated to helping gamers communicate with one another during a tense online match. In a blog post published on Tuesday, the company announced it's changing its focus to make its software into a place where anyone can find a community, create their own chat sever and talk to their friends, whether they're into gaming or not.

"Games are what brought many of you on the platform, and we’ll always be grateful for that," the company said. "Today, many of you use Discord for day-to-day communication. You’re sharing thoughts about books, music and art, creating servers to just be yourself and share moments with friends."

Time to compete with Slack, Microsoft Teams, and WebEx!

Makes sense.

I feel like there's much more room for Discord to move into the general purpose chat client space than there is for Teams, Slack, or Meet to do the same. I'd argue those are all much better at what they do, but there's a reason that few enterprise apps cross over to personal use. Discord could be a compelling product for many consumers.

My personal opinion is that the complexity of the product will be their biggest weakness. As a very casual Discord user, it's confusing as hell. There is a whole lot there, many features don't have direct analogs in other products, and the whole concept of various servers and identities is far more than many are willing to put up with.

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They also see how much money they are missing out on due to the quarantine by being percieved as gamers only... I forgot my password and can't find my recovery codes so I just said :shrug: to discord.

same thing happened to me....lost my 2fa info when my phone broke and i didn't have a backup.  But yrs later I noticed I was able to recreate my acct.  I'm guessing they delete accounts after some time.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Makes sense.

I feel like there's much more room for Discord to move into the general purpose chat client space than there is for Teams, Slack, or Meet to do the same. I'd argue those are all much better at what they do, but there's a reason that few enterprise apps cross over to personal use. Discord could be a compelling product for many consumers.

My personal opinion is that the complexity of the product will be their biggest weakness. As a very casual Discord user, it's confusing as hell. There is a whole lot there, many features don't have direct analogs in other products, and the whole concept of various servers and identities is far more than many are willing to put up with.

Discord has been amazing as a platform for face to face Diplomacy having to shift to online. It's huge that you can actually see who's talking to who, that's such a big thing in face to face that most online platforms can't replicate.

They need to fix a couple of things with video though. The big thing is that you just can't have video with more than 25 people. A less showstopper but still annoying thing is that your video turns off as you jump between rooms. They need something like a one-hour "remember my preferences" setting for that.

Discord is great but is already super bloated when it comes to features. I'm just a guy with an internet connection, but this seems like the type of expansionism that kills these kinds of companies and products over the course of a few years. 

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Discord is great but is already super bloated when it comes to features. I'm just a guy with an internet connection, but this seems like the type of expansionism that kills these kinds of companies and products over the course of a few years. 

Maybe. But they're already kind of doing it in practice. It might not entail the kind of pivot that kills companies.