Six seasons and a...virtual table read

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/community-table-read-dan-harmon-donald-glover-joel-mchale-1234601209/

Six seasons and a Zoom call. The cast of “Community” and creator Dan Harmon are reuniting for a virtual table read and Q&A, in order to benefit COVID-19 relief efforts.

Among the participants will be Donald Glover, who departed “Community” during its fifth season — marking the first time he’s been a part of a “Community” event since leaving the show. Stars Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Alison Brie, Jim Rash, Ken Jeong and Glover are all set to join the table read, along with Harmon.

The table read will be shown in its entirety, along with a Q&A of fan questions, on Monday, May 18, at 2 p.m. PT via Sony Pictures TV’s “Community” YouTube page. The cast is set to read “Cooperative Polygraphy,” the fourth episode of Season 5, which first aired January 16, 2014 on NBC.

This was a great episode. Not quite as good as its predecessor, Cooperative Calligraphy, but still good. Unfortunately, Walton Goggins won't be in on it so I guess Harmon will be reading his lines.

I do find it funny that they picked the episode where they disclose his character's will.

I think the big get is Glover though. This is his first get-together with the cast since he left. Even if it's the boredom of isolation, it's assuring to fans that if he's willing to do this, there's still hope for a future project down the line. The show got a bit of a revival since it dropped on Netflix last month.

1 hour ago, 69los said:

The show got a bit of a revival since it dropped on Netflix last month.

I watched the first episode this week and it got me hooked! I really missed out on this one... I don't even remember anyone talking about it when it was airing.

5 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I guess that’s why they picked a season 5 episode. Nobody from that show wants to deal with him any more. 

There are few actors that misjudged their worth to a show worse than Chase did with that show. Basically sounded like a Calculon plot from Futurama.

26 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I watched the first episode this week and it got me hooked! I really missed out on this one... I don't even remember anyone talking about it when it was airing.

I binged it last year. It's one of those shows where I think it's hard to appreciate the cult following if you join late and watch all the seasons at once. Don't get me wrong, it's a good show and I enjoyed it, but it's definately one of those shows that peaks in it's first few seasons and then becomes something of a parody of itself.

It's from the creator of Rick and Morty. And if you haven't watched that show, I highly recommend it.

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

It's from the creator of Rick and Morty. And if you haven't watched that show, I highly recommend it.

Hmm, I never was really interested in watching it but I trust your judgment will give it a go!

It's only 10 episodes per season and only halfway through season 4. It can be ploughed through in a session or two of binging. It's one of those shows that are dense with enjoyment. Not too many wasted or bland scenes. In the whole run so far I could probably count on one hand the number of episodes I consider blah.

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

There are few actors that misjudged their worth to a show worse than Chase did with that show. Basically sounded like a Calculon plot from Futurama.

I binged it last year. It's one of those shows where I think it's hard to appreciate the cult following if you join late and watch all the seasons at once. Don't get me wrong, it's a good show and I enjoyed it, but it's definately one of those shows that peaks in it's first few seasons and then becomes something of a parody of itself.

I think the cult following really developed around seasons 2 and 3. Both of those seasons had pretty greats runs of insane high-concept episodes, while being one of the lowest rated shows that kept barely getting renewed. 

I wish they would have written a new episode, but this is still a fun idea. One of my all time favorite shows. Probably due for a rewatch!

....and a movie!

"I can tell people for sure that the enthusiasm for Community, both for all of this time and the resurgence of it [on Netflix], there's always an aspect of that affects the marketplace," he said. "And when the marketplace gets affected, conversations happen. And when conversations happen, things happen."

"I mean, when you're part of the Community family, you learn never to raise expectations, keep 'em nice and low and then be pleasantly surprised," he continued. "So I can say that there are conversations happening that people would want to be happening and that I'm very, very excited about the coming months."

Community seems like the kind of show that could do really cool things with a movie. Just shooting a one time movie could help avoid the revolving door casting problems of the last few seasons, and their high concept episodes that @TheLeon mentioned felt like mini-movies to begin with.

Plus, it would just be cool if, after all the twists and turns, Six Seasons and a Movie!!! became a reality :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As the article says, there’s a lot about Community that’s potentially problematic; “gay” is used an an insult pretty regularly, Shirley and Troy are saddled with black stereotype baggage, teachers / administrators sexually pursue students, Jeff pursues a teenager while he’s in his mid 30s, etc.

39 minutes ago, 69los said:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/community-netflix-and-hulu-remove-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode/

Did or Does anyone have issues with Ken Jeong in apparent blackface while dressed as an elf?

was he actually in blackface to represent black people or was he cos playing a dark elf? I mean the later is just a bad idea but not on the same level as the former

38 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

was he actually in blackface to represent black people or was he cos playing a dark elf? I mean the later is just a bad idea but not on the same level as the former

A dark elf, but the lamp shading is directly addressed on the show.

• Thanks 1