Health risk using Mouthwash?

Remarkableriots

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/the-hidden-health-danger-of-using-mouthwash/ar-BBZVAhl?ocid=AMZN

The problem? Mouthwash contains an antiseptic compound called chlorhexidine. It can destroy the bacteria in the mouth that produces nitric oxide. The study of 26 people showed that using mouthwash with chlorhexidine twice a day for a week was associated with a “significant” increase in systolic blood pressure. (That’s the top number in your blood pressure reading, which measures the pressure in your blood vessels when your heart beats.)

“We know one cannot be well without an adequate amount of NO circulating throughout the body,” says lead study author Nathan Bryan, an adjunct assistant professor at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. “Yet, the very first thing over 200 million Americans do each day is use an antiseptic mouthwash, which destroys the 'good bacteria' that helps to create the NO. These once thought 'good' habits may be doing more harm than good."

59 minutes ago, Biggie said:

bad breath GIFI

I will take my chances but thanks for the warning

You probably have shitty food rotting in your mouth because you don't floss properly (or at all). Mouthwash ain't gonna do shit except cover it up for an hour or two. Get a waterpick and clean your mouth properly and you won't need mouthwash.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

You probably have shitty food rotting in your mouth because you don't floss properly (or at all). Mouthwash ain't gonna do shit except cover it up for an hour or two. Get a waterpick and clean your mouth properly and you won't need mouthwash.

Wrong but keep making assumptions. I floss daily.  I’m not a savage. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

I’ve said for years mouthwash is a scam. And damn straight it kills the good bacteria. 

Brushing and flossing is all you need. I don’t use mouthwash and I always am told my teeth are in excellent condition at every dentist appointment. 

Infact if this forum wasn’t deleted recently I would be able to pull up at least one thread I’ve previously made on this matter. 

What school of dentistry did you graduate from doctor?

Also, the article doesn't list a single brand with chlorhexidine. And from what I can tell, most of the shit you get at the store isn't going to have chlorhexidine in it.

Wikipedia says this:

Chlorhexidine gluconate mouth rinse is sold as Paroex, Peridex, PerioChip, Periogard among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine

But even the source of that (see link below) does not include any other brands. 

https://www.drugs.com/ppa/chlorhexidine-gluconate-oral.html

Unless it goes by another name that I don't know about, basically no mouthwash you get at the store is gonna have this, at least not the major brands names. 

I started flossing regularly around 2012ish, I think. I just remember it was before I started my career. Dentist visits are much better because my mouth isn't a hot mess of bleeding gums (murphy). 

Once you do it a bit, it's better than mouthwash and it takes around the same time, anyway. You're not even flossing hard because that could cause gum recession, so if you're not doing it, start making it a habit!

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Flossing is hard if you have crooked teeth. Even my dentist struggles and then tells me afterward to floss more.

That's exactly why I recommended a waterpick. Much easier to use, and easier to use effectively, without having to go get refills or whatever. Plus it's fun!