iTunes is officially no more

Awesome! I haven't used iTunes in forever, but back when I did it was endlessly frustrating having all the fluff when I just wanted to use it for music. Also, it was terrible at library management. I remember getting endlessly frustrated with some aspects of multi-disc collections and the like. But that was forever ago. Maybe I'll give it a go again.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Awesome! I haven't used iTunes in forever, but back when I did it was endlessly frustrating having all the fluff when I just wanted to use it for music. Also, it was terrible at library management. I remember getting endlessly frustrated with some aspects of multi-disc collections and the like. But that was forever ago. Maybe I'll give it a go again.

I only use it for my ipod classic, but I've switched over to MusicBee because every time there is an itunes update it seems to break the last.fm scrobbler (yes I still do that :p )

But you can manage your ipod through MusicBee too and even get it to look like iTunes album view (I like that look, maybe you don't)

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I only use it for my ipod classic, but I've switched over to MusicBee because every time there is an itunes update it seems to break the last.fm scrobbler (yes I still do that :p )

But you can manage your ipod through MusicBee too and even get it to look like iTunes album view (I like that look, maybe you don't)

I scrobble too :P I don't have an iPod anymore. I just have a 400 GB MicroSD card that I transfer all my music to in my phone with a file copy/paste. The media player I use for music on my computer is Dopamine. It's pretty good. I used to use Foobar but the components I like didn't allow me to sort artists the way that I like to. I'll check out MusicBee and see if I like it.

17 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I still have the Classic. I've been wanting to get a new iPod with better battery since I don't want an all-in-one device (I just want one device whose battery is used for music/video), but I've been told stuff like the Touch slows down due to updates, whereas the Classic still operates quickly.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I still have the Classic. I've been wanting to get a new iPod with better battery since I don't want an all-in-one device (I just want one device whose battery is used for music/video), but I've been told stuff like the Touch slows down due to updates, whereas the Classic still operates quickly.

Same, but mainly because there isn’t (or wasn’t at the time) a touch with 160 GB.

That being said my friend did give me his touch long ago but I mainly used it as a non cellular iPhone for games, messaging and apps.

Plus iPod classic has that cool quiz show game :p 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

How brave are you?

2 hours ago, Rodimus said:

iTunes is still a music jukebox. All the syncing and movies, tv shows, and podcasts are out on mac.

Can't you just sync your content from Finder?

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Not brave whatsoever.

Yeah, that's an intimidating repair. By the end of the iPod Classic's life, Apple got pretty good at sealing that thing up. Still, at some point if it completely shits the bed, it can be fun to see if you can get in there and put in a new battery.

I have a 3rd gen iPod (I THINK it's the last model that had no physical buttons aside from the lock switch) that I am occasionally tempted to crack open, replace the battery, and put in a card adapter to breathe new life into it. I have a sentimental attachment to the thing, it's the first big purchase I made with my first job out of grad school, I like the idea of it not just being dead on my desk, even though it would be a bitch to use since it charges with Firewire and syncs with USB. :|

The movie / TV store on macOS seems... bad? I know that there's a box set of Batman TAS in HD available, I can see in the store when I search the store on my iPhone. I cannot find it on macOS. I can't find the complete box sets for Star Trek TNG, Seinfeld, etc. Am I missing something?

Also I’m not someone who normally cares about this kind of stuff, but the upgrade ate maybe 12% of my album artwork? Even stuff I bought from iTunes and didn’t modify. 

It also took hours for my iCloud stuff to all sync even though there was no indication that syncing was taking place at all. 

The Catalina / iOS 13 upgrades and releases have been some of the least polished I’ve seen from Apple. I use my Mac and iPad primarily for personal stuff, if I used it for business my upgrade days would have been really problematic. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Also I’m not someone who normally cares about this kind of stuff, but the upgrade ate maybe 12% of my album artwork? Even stuff I bought from iTunes and didn’t modify. 

It also took hours for my iCloud stuff to all sync even though there was no indication that syncing was taking place at all. 

The Catalina / iOS 13 upgrades and releases have been some of the least polished I’ve seen from Apple. I use my Mac and iPad primarily for personal stuff, if I used it for business my upgrade days would have been really problematic. 

I mean if you used it for business you probably would have waited until 13.1 or 13.2 to upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean if you used it for business you probably would have waited until 13.1 or 13.2 to upgrade.

True enough. Still been pretty derpy, I had to hard power down to get past the “setting up your Mac” screen, system preference asked me to log into iCloud > 15 times before it stopped prompting me, etc.