Jump to content

The wrestling thread of giant LCD screens w/fans


Recommended Posts

Second week of Dynamite was definitely better than the first, everything felt like it had purpose even the women's tag match got a feud going. 

 

Jericho is so good at working a crowd, he killed and buried the "we the people" chant in 10 seconds. 

 

JR was straight-up telling Grandpa Simpson stories throughout the night, was expecting him to mention the onion on his belt. Yeah he is WAY past his prime.  

 

I was worried that only doing 2 hours a week might not be enough but I actually think it is the right move now, yes there are a lot of wrestlers that don't get airtime every week but when they do show up it matters, there was no filler last night. I didn't fastforward through any segment or match, I could not tell you the last time I did that during a WWE show. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished this week's NXT, and it was pretty bad. The matches and the crowd all felt tired to me. Like there was no excitement or real effort being put in to winning this "Wednesday Night War" ... I still can't stand Beth Phoenix's voice on commentary, and the corner camera work always gives me a headache.

 

I'm gonna stop watching NXT, cuz out of all the WWE shows they had the best chance of being entertaining since Vince was the farthest away from it. But these two weeks have been very lackluster, aside from the one Cole/Riddle match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I just finished this week's NXT, and it was pretty bad. The matches and the crowd all felt tired to me. Like there was no excitement or real effort being put in to winning this "Wednesday Night War" ... I still can't stand Beth Phoenix's voice on commentary, and the corner camera work always gives me a headache.

 

I'm gonna stop watching NXT, cuz out of all the WWE shows they had the best chance of being entertaining since Vince was the farthest away from it. But these two weeks have been very lackluster, aside from the one Cole/Riddle match.

They should have replaced Beth with Renee I feel, her and Mauro would have good chemistry in my opinion! I haven't actually watched NXT this week but I haven't heard amazing things either which is no bueno.

 

As for the 2 hours being enough, we essentially get a 3rd hour via AEW's Youtube channel airing the dark matches the following Tuesday night which is amazing as well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

just when you think WWE can't get any more ridiculous they do this stupid draft shit. Yes I know they've done it countless times before, but this time they've taken it to an entire new level of stupidity. The executives high-fiving each other or being upset by draft picks, an analysis panel? I'm sure Vince thought it was brilliant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Bray Wyatt being on Smackdown with Lesnar, Rollins, and Reigns means that he'll never win that title again (let alone anyone else on that roster ever winning the title *cough*Braun*cough*)

 

Rollins was drafted to Smackdown?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

 

Rollins was drafted to Smackdown?

 

Hmm, I guess since I saw him wrestling on Smackdown two weeks in a row now I just kinda lumped him in with that brand. But still, he isn't drafted yet, and with how Vince has only kept his title rotating between Lesnar, Roman, and Rollins for near 3 years now it still is a pretty safe bet to think Vince isn't going to change all that much going forward...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad match, but Kenny hasn't done anything in AEW and the hype didn't get to me all that much. Actually, is this his first singles win with the company? His theme song sounded odd when they played it after he won - it has such a spread out intro before it picks up. Maybe his outtro win theme should chop off that first 15 seconds and get right to the drums :Dunno:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Not a bad match, but Kenny hasn't done anything in AEW and the hype didn't get to me all that much. Actually, is this his first singles win with the company?

 

I mean... they’re 2 weeks in from the point that actually matters. The pre-TNT PPVs were really just pre-launch testing and proof-of-concept, IMO. It takes time to build up actual storylines and develop characters to an audience, especially when the majority tuning in have never heard of the majority of these wrestlers. It’s a bit odd to go in expecting WWE angles/stories/developed characters after 14 days - I’m not saying the criticism won’t (eventually) be valid, I just think those are arguments better reserved if this is still how AEW is presenting characters and stories in December.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're reading too deep into my comment. Of course I've got my expectations in check. But Kenny going from being the #1 wrestler in NJPW on a monthly/bi-weekly basis for so long, and then he kinda disappears while AEW is getting set up, and then he wrestles kinda independent guys in AEW and not the top Japan guys, it's just ... meh. And his matches were spread out for the months before the main Dynamite show started airing, so of course he's kinda cooled off in my mind. And him fighting Joey, while a good match, just didn't have that hype that Kenny would have gotten even in the G1 tag tournaments a year ago.

 

I'm not shitting on him at all. But he's just treading water atm...

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

You're reading too deep into my comment. Of course I've got my expectations in check. But Kenny going from being the #1 wrestler in NJPW on a monthly/bi-weekly basis for so long, and then he kinda disappears while AEW is getting set up, and then he wrestles kinda independent guys in AEW and not the top Japan guys, it's just ... meh. And his matches were spread out for the months before the main Dynamite show started airing, so of course he's kinda cooled off in my mind. And him fighting Joey, while a good match, just didn't have that hype that Kenny would have gotten even in the G1 tag tournaments a year ago.

 

I'm not shitting on him at all. But he's just treading water atm...

 

I’m actually referencing all of your posts itt regarding AEW. It comes off as though you’re expecting them to start as an established product with established wrestlers. Most people have no idea who Omega is, they’re building him and starting him slow while focusing on getting their mid-card ready (which, IMO, is more important as there can only be so many main eventers). Again, if they’re still treading water in December, then it’s time to worry.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I want to mention that I’m not disagreeing with your statements/criticisms at all, I just think it’s a bit early to seriously make them is all. :sun: 

 

Also, can I say just how friggen stupid this draft is? Why in the world does each brand need to draft their own champions??? “The Raw women’s champion is coming to Raw!”, “The Smackdown tag-team champs are coming to Smackdown!”... no shit, really?

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great main event match tonight. I read that people were upset with the Hager ending, but it perfectly let Darby get away with all the damage he did to Jericho and not have to lose because "he just wasn't good enough" after all his tremendous offense. I really hope that whatever secondary title they eventually create will be built around him in some way.

 

The women's match was sloppy and not good, and we got one too many tag matches on tonight's card imo. Moxley and Omega should have stayed away from each other just so the hype for their ppv match could have built up more, but it wasn't terrible. The ending to it was great between Mox and PAC, but why squeeze them into a feud before Kenny and Mox get to wrestle their first match? Oh, and Page needs a new theme song, cuz his current one is awful lol.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another really good show. 

 

It is too bad that Luchasuraus was hurt because it looked like the Lucha Bros were wrestling a couple of children but they were able to pull an entertaining match out of it.

 

Baker is not it, she is mediocre at best and they should stop pushing her but they are thin on the women's side of things.

 

Great in ring plot development during the omega/page vs pac/moxley match, they are doing a great job with handling moxley.

 

The main event was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, Darby is going to have a short career they way he kills himself out there but it will be an entertaining one, he is so fluid in the way he floats around the ring.

 

No wasted time with garbage backstage segments, just wrestling followed by more wrestling with a rare promo package dropped in, great format.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Another really good show. 

 

It is too bad that Luchasuraus was hurt because it looked like the Lucha Bros were wrestling a couple of children but they were able to pull an entertaining match out of it.

 

Baker is not it, she is mediocre at best and they should stop pushing her but they are thin on the women's side of things.

 

Great in ring plot development during the omega/page vs pac/moxley match, they are doing a great job with handling moxley.

 

The main event was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, Darby is going to have a short career they way he kills himself out there but it will be an entertaining one, he is so fluid in the way he floats around the ring.

 

No wasted time with garbage backstage segments, just wrestling followed by more wrestling with a rare promo package dropped in, great format.

 

 

 

It’s a shame that Kylie Rae left, as the current women they’re pushing seem a bit too green and are botching/being sloppy a little too much. I’m sure it will smooth out but it certainly isn’t the time to be smoothing things out, that time was months ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know Bischoff was fired already.

 

 

This comment is so good:

 

Quote

Vince: Eric Bischoff, you’re fired!
Eric: But I don’t even work here!
Vince: Would you like a job, starting now?
Eric: Boy, would I!
Vince: You’re fired.

 

According to Alvarez, nobody really liked working with him, and apparently Bruce Prichard was doing Smackdown anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn't know Bischoff was fired already.

 

 

This comment is so good:

 

 

According to Alvarez, nobody really liked working with him, and apparently Bruce Prichard was doing Smackdown anyway.

 

Supposedly Vince was pissed that the ratings dropped from the Friday Night Smackdown premier to the second week :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

WWE- “Eric (Bischoff) had absolutely no vision...no stamina”

 

WWE and Eric Bischoff have cut ties, after just 2 weeks of Smackdown’s premier on Fox, which he was hired to head back in June. The split was sudden and unexplained. Here is a statement from an unnamed WWE Official that was made to Wrestling Observer News;
 

“Eric had absolutely no vision, and once we were headed into FOX, everything was falling through the cracks,” said one WWE official. “He messed up multiple times with FOX. Eric also had no stamina for the rigors of the job.”

 

Further comments from WON on the issue;

The stamina for the job was going to do be a problem for almost everyone. Bischoff, 64, was in a company where it is not unusual for Vince McMahon’s creative meetings to start hours late and often last until 3 a.m., and sometimes later. Bischoff would work a full day, go out to dinner with his wife, and people would complain that after 7 p.m., on certain days, he would become impossible to reach. The reality is the hours and demands were going to be difficult for almost anyone at any age. The other reality is that Bischoff’s success with WCW, which was actually relatively short-lived, was largely due to people like Hulk Hogan and Zane Bresloff, who were not there for him this time, and Hogan was in TNA and that period didn’t go well either. And both were there for him in WCW, and that place eventually went down the tubes due to the company running off its fans at record-setting levels.

Bischoff was unfamiliar with the talent and many of the business changes when he arrived. In very short order, it had become more how the company would make the inevitable move and handle it publicly after pushing so strong to investors about the value of the hiring. When Ryan Ward burned out as the head writer of Smackdown, and Ed Koskey from Raw was moved over, a lot of people expected Bischoff to be the next casualty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mox is definitely being booked as tweener fight anyone agent of chaos style character. In fact I would say a lot of the roster is tweeners.

 

True faces - Omega, Cody, Dustin, Page, Bucks, Private Party, Jurassic Express, Riho, Baker

 

True heels -  Inner circle, Dark order, Pac, Shawn Spears, Super best friends, Brandi(I think, she hasn't done enough in character on screen not connected to Cody)

 

tweener - Mox, Lucha Bros, SCU, Nyla, Janela(might be face), MJF(total face when with Cody, total heel when he is not)

 

then you get weird things like Orange Cassidy who the fans love but he hangs out with the super best friends who are heels

 

The way they are treating heels and faces and just letting them all mix together is a standout component of AEW compared to most "large" US promotions of the past, I'm not sure if it will work long term but is keeping me interested for now at least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, Spork3245 said:

 

Supposedly Vince was pissed that the ratings dropped from the Friday Night Smackdown premier to the second week :lol: 


I don’t believe that for a second. Vince is a lot of things but stupid isn’t one of them. Maybe he was frustrated with how much they dropped but no one expected it not to drop some amount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 8:06 PM, SaysWho? said:

WWE- “Eric (Bischoff) had absolutely no vision...no stamina”

 

WWE and Eric Bischoff have cut ties, after just 2 weeks of Smackdown’s premier on Fox, which he was hired to head back in June. The split was sudden and unexplained. Here is a statement from an unnamed WWE Official that was made to Wrestling Observer News;
 

“Eric had absolutely no vision, and once we were headed into FOX, everything was falling through the cracks,” said one WWE official. “He messed up multiple times with FOX. Eric also had no stamina for the rigors of the job.”

 

Further comments from WON on the issue;

The stamina for the job was going to do be a problem for almost everyone. Bischoff, 64, was in a company where it is not unusual for Vince McMahon’s creative meetings to start hours late and often last until 3 a.m., and sometimes later. Bischoff would work a full day, go out to dinner with his wife, and people would complain that after 7 p.m., on certain days, he would become impossible to reach. The reality is the hours and demands were going to be difficult for almost anyone at any age. The other reality is that Bischoff’s success with WCW, which was actually relatively short-lived, was largely due to people like Hulk Hogan and Zane Bresloff, who were not there for him this time, and Hogan was in TNA and that period didn’t go well either. And both were there for him in WCW, and that place eventually went down the tubes due to the company running off its fans at record-setting levels.

Bischoff was unfamiliar with the talent and many of the business changes when he arrived. In very short order, it had become more how the company would make the inevitable move and handle it publicly after pushing so strong to investors about the value of the hiring. When Ryan Ward burned out as the head writer of Smackdown, and Ed Koskey from Raw was moved over, a lot of people expected Bischoff to be the next casualty.

They hired him just to fire him. Vince is still bitter about losing in the WCW days. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 8:11 AM, Spork3245 said:

So... is AEW like 90% heels? I mean, I like the constant heel vs heel stuff and that it’s not always good vs bad, but... :confused:

 

That's been my big problem, exactly who is the main "face" of the company? Suddenly Cody Rhodes? Kenny Omega I suppose. It does look like they are trying to turn Moxley into some sort of Steve Austin, just more psycho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dodger said:

 

That's been my big problem, exactly who is the main "face" of the company? Suddenly Cody Rhodes? Kenny Omega I suppose. It does look like they are trying to turn Moxley into some sort of Steve Austin, just more psycho. 


And more boring

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, elbobo said:

Thought this was the weakest episode of dynamite so far, outside the main event none of the matches felt like they mattered.

 

They got their first “this is awful” chant during that (way too long) Cody interview :daydream: 

 

However, JR saying “wubba lubba dub dub” made it worth watching :p 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, elbobo said:

we may have officially hit peak pro wrestling with a parody promo featuring Virgil talking about breadsticks

 

really good go home show for AEW though, nice throw everyone out there at the end brawl

 

That was one of the best promo packages I’ve seen in years.

”At 48 years old, he’s the youngest AEW heavyweight champion in history!”

:lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So what did everyone think of the PPV Full Gear tonight!?

 

While the MJF heel turn was inevitable at some point, the way they did it tonight just didn't QUITE scratch that itch for me. I almost wanted Cody to turn on MJF and then MJF can end up the "misunderstood heel" but whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest problem with tonight's ppv is that it didn't feel any different than any of the past few weeks of the regular Dynamite shows. And I'd hate to give Jim Cornette any praise with how much he shits on AEW, but he's right in all of his rhetoric that nothing is being built to be special in this company. None of the title matches mattered because no one built up any heat over them, and none of the regular matches felt like they meant anything because no one is saying (being allowed to say) that they're fighting for anything - revenge, pride, a chance for a title shot, etc. Which leads to the biggest complaint Corny has that I agree with which is that no one is given any promo time in the shows other than Cody and Jericho, and the entire roster is suffering for it. At best AEW is having Excalibur and JR fill in the narrative for every match and why we should care, and even JR in his prime would admit that a wrestler needs to be able to speak for themselves at times.

 

Shawn Spears won to a dead crowd, who should have been boo'ing him. The women's title match was boring, and the audience was only semi-interested in spurts. The tag title match ended in dead silence. The Young Bucks brought in the RnR Express in an odd mess of an ending. Cody and Jericho had actual hype from a proper build up to their match. Omega and Mox had hype because of the dream match concept combined with it being hardcore/unsanctioned. But where do you go from here? Nothing is laid out with any meaning, and if the Dynamite shows are going to be the exact same quality as the ppv's, then why bother ordering them?

 

I just think that since all of the matches on the regular tv show are too high of quality, there was nothing left for anyone to do on this ppv. I hate to say it, but Dynamite needs shorter matches, SOME promo time dedicated to their wrestlers, and have matches that don't shoot a wrestler's wad before he/she gets to a ppv where there's nothing left to do that's new.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...