Bezos needs another vacation home

So part time employees between 20-30 hours at Whole Foods don't get medical coverage anymore.

https://www.businessinsider.com/whole-foods-cuts-medical-benefits-for-part-time-workers-2019-9

People love their health plans that can get taken away from one day to the next!

The benefits that the company is cutting are offered to part-time employees who work at least 20 hours a week. The changes will not affect full-time employees.

Whole Foods said it was making the change "to better meet the needs of our business and create a more equitable and efficient scheduling model."

"The small percentage of part-time team members ... who previously opted into medical benefits through Whole Foods Market's healthcare plan — less than 2% of our total workforce — will no longer be eligible for medical coverage through the company," the Whole Foods spokesperson said.

But don't worry! If you get ass cancer there's still this!

"We are providing team members with resources to find alternative healthcare coverage options, or to explore full-time, healthcare-eligible positions starting at 30 hours per week. All Whole Foods Market team members continue to receive employment benefits including a 20% in-store discount."

Because overpriced food at a 20% discount is the real reason you work at Whole Foods. Or maybe not.

A 15-year employee of Whole Foods said she was devastated by the news.

She told Business Insider in an interview that her family was covered by the health-insurance plan she is enrolled in through her job at Whole Foods.

She said she would have to increase her hours to become eligible for full-time benefits and pay for childcare, or shop for a new and potentially more expensive health-insurance plan on the private marketplace. She spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution.

"I am in shock," she said. "I've worked here 15 years. This is why I keep the job — because of my benefits."

19 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The small percentage of part-time team members ... who previously opted into medical benefits through Whole Foods Market's healthcare plan — less than 2% of our total workforce — will no longer be eligible for medical coverage through the company," the Whole Foods spokesperson said

It's just a small percentage! They're not real people or anything!

Amazon has a really terrible reputation for how it treats it's employees...we've all read the stories about how awful they treat their warehouse workers... but I've also read that they also have terrible workplace environment for their corporate employees as well. A toxic environment of overworking them and insane politics and expectations.

I think that Whole Foods has always been considered a very employee friendly place to work... treating them way better than most grocery stores treat their workers... but I'm sure Amazon will fix that.

I'm always surprised that Amazon is such a beloved company, because they really do a lot of shitty stuff.

3 hours ago, ort said:

I'm always surprised that Amazon is such a beloved company, because they really do a lot of shitty stuff.

When my laziness gets the best of me, I can have almost anything delivered to me in 24 hours or less. Since I don’t have to personally see the working conditions of the people who make that happen, I can easily ignore it.

I do think if we were all forced to see what it takes to get most of our consumer products, our behaviors would be different. It’s easy to be apathetic when it is all covered up in nice packaging.

There was an episode of the NPR podcast Throughline about disposable packaging that I think made a worthwhile point: we can’t individually make a difference here, but Amazon could immediately change its business practices and still remain wildly profitable. The onus is not on individual consumers to fix the sins of capitalism.