Video Games Being Pulled from Public Eye in Response to Mass Shootings.

Keyser_Soze

Two recent incidents it seems of violent video games being not shown to the public "out of respect"

And Walmart are now removing violent video game displays from stores

Following two shootings inside its stores, Walmart is removing violent video game displays and signs from stores, the retailer confirmed Thursday.
Stores were sent a memo that called for “immediate action” to remove signing and displays that "contain violent themes or aggressive behavior." The memo circulated on Twitter and Reddit, and Walmart officials confirmed its authenticity to USA TODAY.
“We’ve taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and this action does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment,” said Tara House, a Walmart spokeswoman, in a statement.

Walmart officials said this week the retailer is not going to stop selling guns, though some gun control advocates are calling on it to do so. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2019/08/08/walmart-mass-shooting-stores-removing-violent-video-game-displays/1962146001/

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Two recent incidents it seems of violent video games being not shown to the public "out of respect"

And Walmart are now removing violent video game displays from stores

So they are pulling games but not guns.

Fucking genius level.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

It's a win/win. They did something to stopped mass shootings and at the same time they made the NRA members happy. 

Few things wrong with this. Firstly, who cares what the NRA or their members think? Secondly, doing this is an admission of guilt/blame on/to video games causing real world violence, which is absolute nonsense and, to my knowledge, has been disproved many times over, and only leads to more blame being put on them and possible regulations being slapped on an innocent product. This is not "win/win" in any sense.

While I don't think is much of a response. The idea that video games contribute ISN'T that crazy. Hear me out. We have people screaming that we have to watch the rhetoric! Tone it down! Trump said invasion! HE SAID INVASION!!!!!!  So wait, we are supposed to believe that Trump saying invasion is enough to trigger violence, but a young mind spending 6-8 hours a day playing a game in which they are killing people or consuming violent movies has zero effect on them?  Is it a major effect? Dare I say a Mass Effect? (see what I did there? :p) Is it having an effect on tons of people? Hell no, but the people who do these violent acts on both sides aren't completely right in the head and may well being influenced by the rhetoric and the games. As I near in on 50, I can say without question that what I was exposed to as a kid and what kids today are exposed to is radically different. And I just think it's foolish to completely discount it entirely.

The solution to it all? Honestly don't know, but I will say I can't imagine why anyone would be opposed to background checks.

4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

While I don't think is much of a response. The idea that video games contribute ISN'T that crazy. Hear me out. We have people screaming that we have to watch the rhetoric! Tone it down! Trump said invasion! HE SAID INVASION!!!!!!  So wait, we are supposed to believe that Trump saying invasion is enough to trigger violence, but a young mind spending 6-8 hours a day playing a game in which they are killing people or consuming violent movies has zero effect on them?  Is it a major effect? Dare I say a Mass Effect? (see what I did there? :p)

So we should have sex with the invaders?

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Few things wrong with this. Firstly, who cares what the NRA or their members think? Secondly, doing this is an admission of guilt/blame on/to video games causing real world violence, which is absolute nonsense and, to my knowledge, has been disproved many times over, and only leads to more blame being put on them and possible regulations being slapped on an innocent product. This is not "win/win" in any sense.

It was a joke. oi

9 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

While I don't think is much of a response. The idea that video games contribute ISN'T that crazy. Hear me out. We have people screaming that we have to watch the rhetoric! Tone it down! Trump said invasion! HE SAID INVASION!!!!!!  So wait, we are supposed to believe that Trump saying invasion is enough to trigger violence, but a young mind spending 6-8 hours a day playing a game in which they are killing people or consuming violent movies has zero effect on them?  Is it a major effect? Dare I say a Mass Effect? (see what I did there? :p) Is it having an effect on tons of people? Hell no, but the people who do these violent acts on both sides aren't completely right in the head and may well being influenced by the rhetoric and the games. As I near in on 50, I can say without question that what I was exposed to as a kid and what kids today are exposed to is radically different. And I just think it's foolish to completely discount it entirely.

The solution to it all? Honestly don't know, but I will say I can't imagine why anyone would be opposed to background checks.

Your first mistake was comparing the words of a sitting U.S. President about a group of people that are innately hated by a segment of the population within that nation to the vague notion of "violence" in video games. We're exposed to violence in movies and TV and books, too. The only time it POTENTIALLY might make people violent (outside of MAYBE a crazy person here or there, and that's a big ass maybe) is when it deals with relevant and contemporary politics that outrage the person. 

Yes, I daresay the words of the President carry infinitely more weight than those of any video game. For example, I get pissed off at what the President says, but I do not get pissed off at what a video game says, unless it has a bad frame rate, in which case my hand slides ever closer to my AK.

Keep those frame rates high OR ELSE.

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

While I don't think is much of a response. The idea that video games contribute ISN'T that crazy. Hear me out. We have people screaming that we have to watch the rhetoric! Tone it down! Trump said invasion! HE SAID INVASION!!!!!!  So wait, we are supposed to believe that Trump saying invasion is enough to trigger violence, but a young mind spending 6-8 hours a day playing a game in which they are killing people or consuming violent movies has zero effect on them?  Is it a major effect? Dare I say a Mass Effect? (see what I did there?

:p) Is it having an effect on tons of people? Hell no, but the people who do these violent acts on both sides aren't completely right in the head and may well being influenced by the rhetoric and the games. As I near in on 50, I can say without question that what I was exposed to as a kid and what kids today are exposed to is radically different. And I just think it's foolish to completely discount it entirely.

I've never been one to think violent games make people violent. I might even say violent games help keep the crazy people at bay. They can play a game like GTAV and blow off steam doing horrible things.  

If I'm going to put blame on anything, I'm going to go with the internet in general. It allows broken and damaged people to connect with each other in ways we've never dealt with. Being free to spread whatever crazy pointless nonsense they want about women, politics, other races, etc..  They can be surrounded by that negativity 24 hours a day. Instructions on how to work a weapon or make a bomb are at their fingertips.

There have always been people in this world that are capable of committing mass murder. I just think that more of them could have steered on to a less violent path before the internet came along. 

19 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

We may not have been exposed to the same level of graphical violence in games as kids as kids are today but we definitely had our own red herrings that social conservatives blamed then rising levels of violence on. In the 50's, comic books were the scape goat. Later on it was TV, Cartoons (Tom and Jerry was a favorite target) Horror movies, Kung Fu movies, Heavy Metal Music, Dungeons and Dragons, Rap Music, Lack of prayer in schools, the breakdown of the "traditional family"... I could go on and on. The problem with this line of thinking is that OTHER countries have these same issues... what they DON'T have is the guns and they DON'T have the violence resulting from the access to them.

Also there's a HUGE difference in the power that works of fiction have over individuals and the perceived permission from a person of power and authority. Playing a videogame doesn't have the same weight as the most powerful man in the world targeting specific groups through coded and uncoded language. We've seen what this does in history too many times to just write it off as being simple "rhetoric". Political rhetoric is FAR more powerful than I think you're giving it credit for. Look up what happened in Rwanda between the Hutu's and the Tsutsi' s when prominent people in government and media started labeling Tsutsi's as "cockroaches".  Once people in authority signal that it's okay to demonize and dehumanize a specific group in a society, human nature takes over. Minimizing Trump's rhetoric ignores history and equating it to the influence of videogames ignores logic... with all due respect.

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I've never been one to think violent games make people violent. I might even say violent games help keep the crazy people at bay. They can play a game like GTAV and blow off steam doing horrible things.  

If I'm going to put blame on anything, I'm going to go with the internet in general. It allows broken and damaged people to connect with each other in ways we've never dealt with. Being free to spread whatever crazy pointless nonsense they want about women, politics, other races, etc..  They can be surrounded by that negativity 24 hours a day. Instructions on how to work a weapon or make a bomb are at their fingertips.

There have always been people in this world that are capable of committing mass murder. I just think that more of them could have steered on to a less violent path before the internet came along. 

I see it a bit differently. You see people playing the games as way for them to channel that anger/blow off steam. And perhaps that is how it functions at the start, but it can also desensitize them to the violence and while the games give them a rush, soon they want more. Like drugs, it takes more and more to get that 'high' and then the games aren't cutting it. 

Now of course we are talking about a teeny tiny percentage of people that are effected by such things. I can also agree with you about the internet/social media though I don't see it so much as it allowing people to connect (though it does that as well) but rather allowing people to remain isolated. The connect part if that it allows people to speak with others that only share their point of view, they can block or ignore those that don't agree with them. But it also separates people to the point that they don't know how to interact with others. Hell you look at a bunch of teens, they'll be sitting in the same room and won't be talking, they just text each other. You are right next to the person....TALK!!!! Technology is great, but it's also isolating. People live in echo chambers and aren't willing to tolerate someone who has a differing opinion. 

2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I see it a bit differently. You see people playing the games as way for them to channel that anger/blow off steam. And perhaps that is how it functions at the start, but it can also desensitize them to the violence and while the games give them a rush, soon they want more. Like drugs, it takes more and more to get that 'high' and then the games aren't cutting it. 

Now of course we are talking about a teeny tiny percentage of people that are effected by such things. I can also agree with you about the internet/social media though I don't see it so much as it allowing people to connect (though it does that as well) but rather allowing people to remain isolated. The connect part if that it allows people to speak with others that only share their point of view, they can block or ignore those that don't agree with them. But it also separates people to the point that they don't know how to interact with others. Hell you look at a bunch of teens, they'll be sitting in the same room and won't be talking, they just text each other. You are right next to the person....TALK!!!! Technology is great, but it's also isolating. People live in echo chambers and aren't willing to tolerate someone who has a differing opinion. 

Do you have data to back your hypothesis up? How come we don't see this happening in other countries? The Japanese use technology to isolate themselves more than ANYONE and they don't have the same level of violence in their society as we do. They DO have high levels of suicide but a NUMBER of factors contribute to that... not chief among them being videogames.

• Thanks 1