Schiff downplays impeachment, says that at this point, Trump is only leaving ‘by being voted out’

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That really is the only way he might leave office. That or a body bag (old overweight guys aren't known for their longevity)

Doesn't mean we shouldn't push impeachment. 

The administration is explicitly taking this as a permission slip to do whatever the hell they want. The refusal to impeach is directly emboldening them.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I know it sounds tinfoily, but this is the kind of shit where I'm like "are they maybe controlled opposition?"

They are absolutely paid to lose. Not in some backroom deal, but by six degrees of separation. This is all just political theater. Why do you think the only members of Congress who get attacked are those who are honest and authentic like the Squad, or Warren, or Sanders, etc.? Because those only out for themselves don't want a mirror that reflects back at them all their worst qualities. It's basic human nature. Pelosi fought the Squad harder than she's fought Trump, so what does that tell you about where she stands on things? She's said Trump is good for fundraising - that's all she cares about, ultimately. The evidence has all been there from the start, which is why I was against Pelosi being picked Speaker of the House (though it's not like we had much choice). Her early win with the government shutdown made me question my initial instincts, but since then it's felt like I was right about her from the beginning. And now here we are.

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

They are absolutely paid to lose. Not in some backroom deal, but by six degrees of separation. This is all just political theater. Why do you think the only members of Congress who get attacked are those who are honest and authentic like the Squad, or Warren, or Sanders, etc.? Because those only out for themselves don't want a mirror that reflects back at them all their worst qualities. It's basic human nature. Pelosi fought the Squad harder than she's fought Trump, so what does that tell you about where she stands on things? She's said Trump is good for fundraising - that's all she cares about, ultimately. The evidence has all been there from the start, which is why I was against Pelosi being picked Speaker of the House (though it's not like we had much choice). Her early win with the government shutdown made me question my initial instincts, but since then it's felt like I was right about her from the beginning. And now here we are.

Fortunately many of those establishment folks don't even have 10 more years to live.

An interesting question was brought up on NPR on my way home today:  If the Democrats go through with an impeachment investigation and vote, and the impeachment trial fails in the Senate, would that make it more difficult to prosecute Trump after he leaves office? 

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

An interesting question was brought up on NPR on my way home today:  If the Democrats go through with an impeachment investigation and vote, and the impeachment trial fails in the Senate, would that make it more difficult to prosecute Trump after he leaves office? 

Not in any legal sense, no. You could absolutely still go after him after he left office - but no one ever does with any President. Bush and war crimes, Obama and drone strikes, etc. so this is the time. But optically it could look bad, one could argue.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Not in any legal sense, no. You could absolutely still go after him after he left office - but no one ever does with any President. Bush and war crimes, Obama and drone strikes, etc. so this is the time. But optically it could look bad, one could argue.

Right.  I know that they could still go after him after he leaves office.  But what Trump's lawyers will argue is this: If the evidence wasn't even strong enough to warrant an impeachment conviction (which doesn't meet the same standard as criminal trials), then how on Earth could you (the jury) convict Trump on criminal charges?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Right.  I know that they could still go after him after he leaves office.  But what Trump's lawyers will argue is this: If the evidence wasn't even strong enough to warrant an impeachment conviction (which doesn't meet the same standard as criminal trials), then how on Earth could you (the jury) convict Trump on criminal charges?

They could say that but that's not a sufficient defense since impeachment is political and a later criminal proceedings is legal. And the US population loves getting the chance of re-litigating things.

The only risk you run is optics, and it's still a Constitutional duty one must fulfill even if it's not politically expedient to impeach when clear. It overrides all other interests.