PS5 cross-generational play will ensure PS4 players won't get left behind, Sony confirms

Remarkableriots

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-cross-gen-play-confirmed/

“Whether it’s backwards compatibility or the possibility of cross generational play, we’ll be able to transition that community to next-gen”, said Ryan. “It won’t be a binary choice about whether you have to be ether on PlayStation 4 or next-gen to continue your friendship.”

Cross generational play (i.e. the ability for PS4 and PS5 users to play multiplayer games online together) is something that Sony has touted before, and Ryan's comments seem to guarantee the feature as a sure-fire thing for its next-gen console. “The community has never been bigger and it’s never been more engaged”, he continued, explaining that “a lot of people we brought in, in 2013, are still with us. And the amount of time and money they invest in the platform is very humbling.”

35 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I mean if you’re playing the same game why wouldn’t you be able to play together?  Seems pretty obvious.

Going into this generation, not everything supported cross-platform play. Helldivers did, and you could play PS3 levels of LBP3 on the PS4, but you couldn't do co-op. Destiny 1 had no cross platform play AFAIK. That's why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Going into this generation, not everything supported cross-platform play. Helldivers did, and you could play PS3 levels of LBP3 on the PS4, but you couldn't do co-op. Destiny 1 had no cross platform play AFAIK. That's why.

Good points.  I guess my mind went straight to Xbox's BC with 360 games, and being able to play those games regardless of platforms with each other, because you were essentially playing the same 360 games regardless of hardware.  With BC on the PS5 and Scarlett, I do hope that rather than getting a PS4/XB1 version of games, then a remaster version on PS5/Scarlett, we just buy one that that then upscales and takes advantage of the new power in the new consoles.  Not sure if that can be expected with the technology, but I just kind of assumed thats the direction these console makers are taking.

With how much money the studios probably made on Remasters though this gen, not sure if we can count on that.

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Good points.  I guess my mind went straight to Xbox's BC with 360 games, and being able to play those games regardless of platforms with each other, because you were essentially playing the same 360 games regardless of hardware.  With BC on the PS5 and Scarlett, I do hope that rather than getting a PS4/XB1 version of games, then a remaster version on PS5/Scarlett, we just buy one that that then upscales and takes advantage of the new power in the new consoles.  Not sure if that can be expected with the technology, but I just kind of assumed thats the direction these console makers are taking.

With how much money the studios probably made on Remasters though this gen, not sure if we can count on that.

Totally understandable: we're way more used to cross-play and cross-platform now that it would seem weird that this isn't a thing. I have a feeling that even remasters will support cross-gen multiplayer. 

6 hours ago, atom631 said:

this is great but i hope they dont hold back the visuals to compensate for this. 

I'd hope not since with the hardware they're using today, they should be able to make the game have differing visual options just like a PC game.  

31 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

How will they handle cross play between consoles? Its simple, your shiny new PS5/NextBox with is really fast SSD will slow down to stay in step with the previous hardware when playing cross generational games with PS4 gamers! :daydream:

Exactly my worry. Competitive shooters is another issue with Potential FPS differences. Also there are games right now that give a competitive advantage to lowering settings (looking at you BFV). It’s possible for it to go the other way where things like foliage and effects are reduced on old gen gear. This could give them a huge visibility advantage. 

On 6/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

How will they handle cross play between consoles? Its simple, your shiny new PS5/NextBox with is really fast SSD will slow down to stay in step with the previous hardware when playing cross generational games with PS4 gamers! :daydream:

Pay to win bitch :angry: 

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

I think you jest, but isn't that how some cross-platform games work when Switch players play PS4/Xbox players? In Fortnite and Rocket League and the like?

3 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I think you jest, but isn't that how some cross-platform games work when Switch players play PS4/Xbox players? In Fortnite and Rocket League and the like?

Yes, but the difference here would be that ALL of the load speed gains would be negated by interacting with any system that isn't another SSD based platform. It would therefore be significantly worse than the scenario you're referring to.