EA Play 2019 Viewing and Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If it is not an action game (i.e. is an action-adventure (i.e. AC/Last of Us/Uncharted/God of War 2018)/action-RPG (i.e.Witcher 3) or open world (GTA) game) then I can understand the slower paced combat.  If it's a pure action game -- then doesn't it make sense to compare it to DMC/Platinum?

If the vertical slice is representative of the actual gameplay  (walking from monster arena to monster arena) -- then the combat is what has to carry the game, and I didn't see that in this demo.

I think we’re kind of past pigeon holing games into that kind of category. Not only do I think it’s reductive and inaccurate, I don’t really see the point. 

5 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think we’re kind of past pigeon holing games into that kind of category. Not only do I think it’s reductive and inaccurate, I don’t really see the point. 

It is entirely the point.  The other games have systems that make them fun beyond their combat.  GTA is fun because of the open world elements.  AC is fun because of the stealth/rpg/open world elements.  etc.  They don't have to stand solely on their combat -- GTA/AC combat is merely OK.

Action games live and die on their combat.  IF this is a pure action game and doesn't have the systems that those other games have -- and the fun is only in the combat.  It better be good.

That demo, IMHO, showed like a licensed game of yore that will get a low-70s Metacritic.

48 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It is entirely the point.  The other games have systems that make them fun beyond their combat.  GTA is fun because of the open world elements.  AC is fun because of the stealth/rpg/open world elements.  etc.  They don't have to stand solely on their combat -- GTA/AC combat is merely OK.

Action games live and die on their combat.  IF this is a pure action game and doesn't have the systems that those other games have -- and the fun is only in the combat.  It better be good.

That demo, IMHO, showed like a licensed game of yore that will get a low-70s Metacritic.

There are certainly a few character action games that remain true to the old-timey genres more or less, but they are few and far between. 

This is not a pure character action game. And it's made by Respawn, who deserves the benefit of the doubt. I don't think we need to start predicting the Metacritic score yet. 

I just watched it on YouTube...uhhh I don’t understand the complaints in this thread it all. Sure it there was some stuff that needed cleaning up but it’s an Alpha stage still. I thought the traversal looked decent enough. Certainly no worse than Tomb Raider or Uncharted. I liked that it wasn’t just light attack light attack strong attack magic power finisher. The slower pace looked fun. And that moment where he freezes the blaster fire, then pulls the trooper in and moves him in front of his own fire...BAD. ASS. 

I thought the whole thing looked really promising 🤷🏻‍♂️

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You guys are clearly seeing something I am not in this.

This was my most anticipated game this fall, but after the trailer, and now this gameplay reveal.  I am massively bummed.  Hopefully the promise that you see comes through. Cause I just don't see it.

star-wars-jedi-fallen-order_6068778.jpg

Oh I wasn’t trying to change the way anyone else felt about it. I just read the thread and was expecting to see some kind of monstrosity of a game, and instead I saw something that looked just fine, kinda looked Dark Souls-y to me, that might turn out pretty fun. 

Plus i I have a lot of faith in respawn. 

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh I wasn’t trying to change the way anyone else felt about it. I just read the thread and was expecting to see some kind of monstrosity of a game, and instead I saw something that looked just fine, kinda looked Dark Souls-y to me, that might turn out pretty fun. 

Plus i I have a lot of faith in respawn. 

I had the same impression reading the comments before I watched for myself.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Of course, we lowered your expectations and now the game looks awesome to you. :p

It doesn't look amazing or anything... it's clearly an early build and those character models in the cinematics obviously aren't finished. But it looks like solid game with a solid foundation. I'm curious to see if they can keep the gameplay interesting if lightsabers and force powers are your only options for combat, but yeah. It looks solid. Based on what I've seen and Respawn's rep... I'm optimistc.

It wasn't the most bombastic reveal.  For a modern Star Wars game, perhaps that's a bigger negative. But it looks like a competent, if not exceptional, first foray into 3rd person action games by a FPS studio.

There's just nothing daring that we've seen yet.  That's the biggest problem I have with it.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

In 1998 you could slice a wooden sign post three different ways depending on how you swing your sword.  Over 20 years later, and a fucking lightsaber doesn't slice off ANYTHING, not even the many legs of the giant spider creatures?  Skyward Sword has been around for almost a decade, too!

He cut several Storm troopers in half

I went back and rewatched the first cut scene.  Then, I went and rewatched some footage from Battlefront 2.  Night and day.

The most glaring difference to me was the character models from the wookies.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In general, I thought the graphics were a huge step back from the Dice Star Wars games -- and many of the other AAA games I've played recently.  That is where my pessimism and my "looks like an X360 game" came from.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I went back and rewatched the first cut scene.  Then, I went and rewatched some footage from Battlefront 2.  Night and day.

The most glaring difference to me was the character models from the wookies.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In general, I thought the graphics were a huge step back from the Dice Star Wars games -- and many of the other AAA games I've played recently.  That is where my pessimism and my "looks like an X360 game" came from.

The lighting is bad,  but I would expect that to improve substantially and cover up other warts.