Destroy All Humans! Remake (28 July 2020) - Information Thread, update: Nintendo Switch version announced for June 29 release

Pikachu

I only played this game for like 5 minutes on what I think was a friend's Xbox, and I think I believed it was Xbox exclusive at the time, so I was kinda bummed because I really enjoyed what I played. I wonder how it'll hold up all these years later?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, Xbob42 said:

I only played this game for like 5 minutes on what I think was a friend's Xbox, and I think I believed it was Xbox exclusive at the time, so I was kinda bummed because I really enjoyed what I played. I wonder how it'll hold up all these years later?

I forgot I replied to this thread and literally typed this up before remembering:

I remember I played this on my friend's Xbox for like 20 minutes and really liked it, but haven't touched it since. I think about it every once in a while to this day, despite that being well over a decade ago. I look forward to seeing if my memory was accurate!

So which was it? 5 minutes or 20?!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Destroy All Humans! (2020 Remake)

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Jul 28, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Jul 28, 2020)
  • PC (Jul 28, 2020)

Developer: Black Forest Games

Publishers: Nordic Games Publishing, THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 70 average - 51% recommended

Critic Reviews

MMoinGame - Spanish - 9.3 / 10

We have in front of us the remake of a classic, we recommend this title not only for the nostalgic ones, but also for the players who want to let off steam for a while on foot or in a ship destroying everything that we find and enjoying the foul-mouthed Crypto and its cracks.

FingerGuns - 9 / 10

This remake of Destroy All Humans! is really quite incredible and the developers at Black Forest Games should be applauded for what they’ve achieved. The original has been torn apart and rebuilt with the benefit of modern day visuals and game play design while retaining the game’s original character.

MSPoweruser - 9 / 10

Destroy All Humans serves as yet another example of how to recreate a beloved classic, without destroying what made it special. If you loved the original game, then everything that captured your originally his here and accounted for. Hopefully, this remake will mark a triumphant return for the series, which in turn would ensure that this weird little freak of a game can maintain its presence within game libraries for years to come. In any case, we welcome more Destroy All Humans.

Spiel Times - 9 / 10

Very much like the old-school games, we used to play back in the days, which had some really challenging boss fights, and If that is something you love in video games, then you will enjoy the shit out of this game for sure.

Critical Hit - 8.5 / 10

It may be a bit of a stretch to see if any game holds up after 15 years, but Destroy All Humans! is still a mindless romp of manic mass destruction that excels in the replayability department. A brilliantly polished slice of nostalgia, Destroy All Humans! knows exactly where to focus its energies with its silly story, updated gameplay and a graphical overhaul that is light-years ahead of the original invasion.

GameGrin - 8.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans is a fantastic, faithful experience. Both older fans and new fans will find a lot of enjoyment here and hopefully we will see a lot more of Crypto's antics going into the new generation.

Gaming on PC - 8.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans! (2020) is a faithful remake that captures the joy of the 2005 original while at the same time looking and feeling like a modern game.

Niche Gamer - 8.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans! is as short as the bitter Furon protagonist, but the little package is packed with personality. You are getting quality over quantity.

PlayStation Universe - 8.5 / 10

With a strict adherence to the style and performance of the original game, Destroy All Humans! brings all the fun of 2005 (and the frustrations)  of the original. This is a game that was fun 15 years ago, and that fun still holds up, only now it has a shiny new coat of paint. Though some cultural references are a bit wince-worthy and there are some ridiculous difficulty spikes, in general Destroy All Humans! is a rollicking good time.

33bits - Spanish - 80 / 100

Destroy All Humans! it is as good as in its day, but with renewed graphics and some extra mission. If you like to be an alien and kill human beings, buy it. And if you don't like any of this, buy it too, the Furon empire orders it!

Black Red Gaming - 4 / 5 stars

Destroy All Humans! is a fun power fantasy with gorgeous visuals and fun abilities. It's a bit on the easy side, but I think overall the game is worth its 30 USD price tag.

Cram-Gaming - 8 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10

The Destroy All Humans remake takes everything players loved about the original game and refines the formula, making it more enjoyable for fans and modern audiences alike.

Digitally Downloaded - 4 / 5 stars

In some ways, Destroy All Humans! shows its age, being a remake of a game that's now 15 years old, in a genre that's grown a lot in those years. But it's also got a sense of humour and parody of American life that feels more relevant today than when the original game first came out.

GameByte - 8 / 10

Destroy All Humans! is such a welcome break from the real world right now. The comedy still holds up all these years after the original release of the game and the storyline is still very solid.

GameZone - 8 / 10

While it won't be a game of the year contender, Destroy All Humans stands tall against other 2020 competitors by updating itself for the modern age. With smooth and efficient gameplay, across the board upgrades, and a timeless satire on the 1950s, Destroy All Humans almost effortlessly sets the stage to rebuild itself as a prominent franchise once again.

Gamers Heroes - 80 / 100

If you have not played the original Destroy All Humans, and the mindless destruction of the human race is appealing to you, the 2020 remaster is a must-play. While some of the gameplay fundamentals show their age, the fantastic dialogue and voice-over work, especially with Crypto and Orthopox, is entertaining, funny, and top-quality throughout.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Destroy All Humans! definitely falls under the 'faithful remake' category, with great humour, short and sweet missions, and lots of stuff to blow up. Blowing things up does become repetitive, but it's still a lot of fun.

IGN Middle East - Arabic - 8 / 10

A carefully crafted remake that brings back the fun of the original title and respects it’s art, with an updated design alongside new futures.

NoobFeed - 80 / 100

Destroy All Humans! was a unique title when it launched back in 2005. With players taking the role of an alien invader set on conquering Earth and taking revenge. The first title was well-received for having players play as the villain but lack variety and was short for a full-price title. There were 2 more games after the first, with the third game being the final due to poor sales and reception and the series being dormant. THQ Nordic has revived the franchise and remade the first game for modern gamers to enjoy and older gamers to revisit but this isn’t a simple HD remake. Black Forest Games has provided a refreshing update to the dated visuals and massive improvements to the core gameplay. Destroy All Humans! doesn’t take itself seriously and in doing so provides a fun and short adventure as you kill humans and conquer Earth in the name of the Furon Empire.

NookGaming - 8 / 10

I really enjoyed Destroy All Humans. In many ways, this feels like what a remake should be – it’s modernized and improved to the level of many current games, but very much kept the original spirit.

While there is some further room for improvement that prevents it from getting a higher score, I’m certainly happy that I had the chance to play this. It’s left me hoping that the other games get a remake or a new sequel is announced.

RedTieGuy - 8 / 10

Destroy All Humans Remake is a blast to play, not only fun and entertaining but reminds about the older days when a game set out to be fun and entertaining instead of trying to be this realistic cinematic story.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

The Furon invasion begins. Arm yourself with a variety of strange weapons and abilities along the way to enslave the human race.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

This is the 15th anniversary of the original Destroy All Humans! release, and the remake is wonderfully timed and priced for a comeback. Black Forest Games remained faithful to that release, and modernized it in all the right ways to make it even more enjoyable. It’s a much better and richer game experience because of it, and I really hope this paves the way for a Destroy All Humans! 2 remake. Crypto-137 and Destroy All Humans! is the perfect way to beat the heat this summer.

Sirus Gaming - 8 / 10

Forget about compelling storytelling, forget about being serious, Destroy All Humans is about having fun, being entertained, and giving you a nice laugh of it being satire and cheesy. This remake adds a layer of beauty and improvements, it’s another faithful recreation of an old game that invites newcomers to play what we consider to be a classic gem.

Skewed & Reviewed - 4 / 5 stars

I really enjoyed the upgraded version of the game and hope this leads to either a new game in the series or remasters of the prior games as it would be fantastic to see this series continue.

We Got This Covered - 4 / 5 stars

Rather than completely re-imagining its core aspects, Black Forest Games has recreated the best portions of Destroy All Humans! for a modern audience. Aspects from the 2005 original that have been brought over hold up well, and the studio has introduced a handful of smart, but important, improvements.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Playing Destroy All Humans! is like watching an old alien movie in a summer drive-in. The movie may not be a masterpiece, but atmosphere and context play a fundamental role in enjoying the experience. So the not particularly clever mission design and the not-so-inspired mechanics feel a little less annoying when you are playing a game that makes you laugh, does not take itself seriously and does not require a month of vacation to be finished.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.7 / 10

The remake of Destroy All Humans! brings back a little cult classic from the early thousands, with great respect for the original material, a shiny new engine and a couple of QOL improvements.

Game Debate - 7.5 / 10

Overall, the Destroy All Humans! Remake is a fun trip down memory lane, very fun in fact. And whilst the crude and immature humor appealed more to my younger self than now, it's still a ridiculously entertaining ride. The remake's biggest saving grace is nostalgia, and finally bringing this old classic to the PC system. Whilst fans of the original will be very pleased with the nostalgia trip and additional new content, even if it isn't quite substantial.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans' impact on you is definitely going to depend on how much you played the original release. As a fan of the original, I was sat gleefully destroying all the humans and basking in the improvements, but I could also see people who haven't played the 2005 release not quite "getting" it. For those in the same boat as me, it's exactly what it needs to be: a faithful improvement on the original game, and an indication that Crypto has plenty of life in him yet. Hopefully it can pave the way for an all new adventure someday soon.

Vamers - 75 / 100

Given the original title is over 15 years old, the remaster may be forgiven for some of its strange quirks. Although a much longer and deeper narrative or a more streamlined and involved gameplay loop would be preferred, it is a product of its time. This knowledge helps to ease any discontent the title may exude from dated gameplay and narrative elements. In addition, developers Black Forest Games have made some wonderful improvements to the older title, including the addition of the long lost Area 42 Mission - originally cut from the game due to time constraints. Overall, the enhanced visuals, slightly updated gameplay, and old fashioned call-it-as-it-is humour; helps to elevate Destroy All Humans! as one of the better action games of 2020. Granted, it may not be a grade-A contender by modern standards, but it is a faithful and wonderful remake of a classic, and is far better than anyone could have hoped for.

But Why Tho? - 7 / 10

Overall, Destroy All Humans! is a fantastic remake that I’m sure will please returning fans of the series but might frustrate new audiences. Everything about the game looks great and runs well but since nothing about the core gameplay has changed, it feels stuck in the early 2000s.

Cerealkillerz - German - 7 / 10

Even 15 years after the original release Destroy All Humans! is a great example for satire done right. The gameplay and graphics are adjusted to modern standards but there isn't much more added to the original, which makes the Remake also an diverting adventure, missing its potential.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

Crypto-137 is hellbent on ensuring that humanity meets a terrible fate. By comparison, Destroy All Humans has met an enjoyable-enough-but-certainly-not-amazing fate. That's fine, but it's tough to not feel as though something truly great could've happened with some more creative license. If nothing else, this remake left me thinking that Destroy All Humans is still a viable property and that a brand new game might not be such a bad idea. But maybe that's because an extraterrestrial has control of my cortex.

Game Revolution - 3.5 / 5 stars

The dated DNA is still there in some respects, but the genetic engineers at Black Forest have done some intelligent gene editing to ensure that it is still a subject worth harvesting, which is what any true Furon would want anyway.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

Overall, then, Destroy All Humans! isn’t going to wow you. It will make you chuckle, however, and frequently put a smile on your face. It’s not overly polished, nor is it complex, but it is fun.

Gamer Escape - 7 / 10

Overall, this remake of Destroy All Humans is essentially the 2005 original with a fresh coat of paint and a few tweaks, and it carries over everything, warts and all. While there are definitely some frustrations in the gameplay mechanics, taken as a whole, the game holds up surprisingly well.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Destroy All Humans! has no qualms with being a silly, dumb game that just wants its players to have a good time, and it's better for it.

Handsome Phantom - 7 / 10

Destroy all Humans! Remake is going to be a pleasant time for fans of the series wanting to revisit one of their favorite games.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 70 / 100

Destroy All Humans! brings back all the mindless fun of this series of extraterrestrial action. It might not be the best designed game out there, or the most graphically advanced... But how many games let you throw explosive cows with the power of your mind? Yep, just this one.

IGN - 7 / 10

The Destroy All Humans! remake recaptures the simple, campy joy of of rampaging through 1950s America as an angry gray alien.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7 / 10

Like the original title, this graphic remake of Destroy All Humans! presents itself as a fun title for some gameplay ideas and for its style, without however being able to leave a mark. Unlike 2005, however, the renewed graphic version is not enough to balance a well aged, but still aged, gameplay. Who has never had the opportunity to help the Furon to conquer the earth, could find in Destroy all humans! a pleasant interlude from other more demanding or massive productions. Those who have already taken part in the invasion in 2005, this time may not find a satisfying stimulus to help the imperial cause.

Killa Penguin - 7 / 10 stars

I decided to track down an original PS2 copy and alternate between the two versions, first playing through the original game before jumping back to the PC version I’m reviewing to get an idea of what’s similar and different. There have undoubtedly been improvements, but there have also been some unnecessary and arguably questionable changes that hardcore purists will find aggravating because of how they alter the gameplay (which is to say nothing of how they contribute to two major difficulty spikes). The original version of Destroy All Humans! was deeply flawed, however, and the remake’s quality-of-life features easily make it the definitive version.

Press Start - 7 / 10

Destroy All Humans! makes an earnest effort to improve on every aspect of the original, but it’s hard to avoid the issues stemming from the era in which it came from. Despite it’s numerous improvements, Destroy All Humans is still plagued with banal repetition and tedium especially as the adventure draws to an end.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Overall, Destroy All Humans! does a really great job of recapturing the spirit of the original. But, in a time where we’ve seen some developers take the originals and expand on them greatly, often adding new features altogether, the remake for Destroy All Humans! feels like it missed the boat.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

I would recommend the remake to anyone with a nostalgic thirst for the original, but so, too, to those that like their laughs with a dark bite.

WayTooManyGames - 7 / 10

It’s a relic of its time with a brand new coat of paint and an unapologetically dumb parody of B-movies and Cold War hysteria. Even though it’s riddled with issues that are mostly likely caused by its low budget, I think that THQ Nordic and Black Forest Games’ decision to remake the game as a simpler AA title was a smart move.

Wolf's Gaming Blog - 3.5 / 5 stars

All in all, Destroy All Humans is a solid remake of a great little game. Naturally the mission designs and some of the other gameplay elements are a little creaky in 2020, but the developers have done a good job of modifying the core gameplay so that it holds up quite well while still retaining the feel of the original game. Hopefully those who played Destroy All Humans back in 2005 can relive their memories along with a brand new audience who can discover the joys of anal probing.

Zoomg - Persian - 7 / 10

Destroy All Humans! (2020) is a good remake; Not a perfect one, But absolutely a good. It can't change the fundamental things about the gameplay and let's be honest, that 2005's Game gameplay can't make an excellent impression on the new players. But If you are someone who has memories of that old cult game and wants to recall the memoires, This Remake is worth your time and money. At the same time, if Aline Invasions, Dark sense of humor, repetitive but fun gameplay, and fair games with some problems are your thing, Destroy All Humans! (2020) will get $40 and will give something like 9 hours of forgettable but totally OK entertainment.

DualShockers - 6.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans is an endlessly entertaining alien-superpower playground, but tends to crush under the weight of its own structure.

GameWatcher - 6.5 / 10

As awesome as it is, the arcade action in Destroy All Humans! is only a part of the experience, struggling to carry its rudimentary stealth missions and hit-or-miss writing. It's definitely a blast to level entire neighborhoods and disintegrate humans; we just wish we had to spend less time impersonating them.

Stevivor - 6.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans isn’t bad, per se, it’s just bland; a fresh coat of paint on a dated game, clunky in some areas and polished in others.

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

If you thought the original was good, Destroy All Humans! looks and plays even better. Crypto-137 controls incredibly smooth and looks awesome in action. However, an unfixable, corrupted save file, short length and untouched voice acting are quite disappointing.

Worth Playing - 6.5 / 10

If you can put all of that aside or appreciate Destroy All Humans! in a state that is undoubtedly close to how it played back in the day, there is a lot of fun to be in the PS4 remake.

GBAtemp - 6 / 10

Scoring around the 7.5/10 mark in 2005, this "Remake" doesn't really improve  anything over the original. Yes, the graphics are updated, and yes the HUD and interfaces are decluttered, but the core lacklustre quality of the "exploration" shines through worse than before.

Game Informer - 6 / 10

This remake successfully preserves the Destroy All Humans experience, regardless of whether it's fun or funny today

GameSpot - 6 / 10

Destroy All Humans is a fun sandbox to wreak havoc through, but it spends too much time on other things.

GideonsGaming - 6 / 10

I think if you had actually played the original, you may appreciate this upgrade on your walk down nostalgia lane. As a newcomer, it just has no proper place to sit beside the games that exist today and there is no room for it on the shelf. It can be an amusing romp, but you kick up the dust of this Dinosaur at every turn, and the new can of paint just can’t hide that fact.

Push Square - 6 / 10

Destroy All Humans is a good attempt to bring back the cult classic in 2020, but it misses the mark in a few key areas. While there are some nice improvements to the core gameplay, they don't do enough to rescue the old fashioned mission design and difficulty spikes. It's a shame, because there's some fun to be found here -- you just have to put up with quite a lot of PS2 era baggage. Fans will be delighted, but this remake is hardly out of this world.

TheSixthAxis - 6 / 10

Destroy All Humans is a faithful remake that retains the charm of the 2005 original, while dramatically overhauling the visuals and making some improvements to the gameplay. Perhaps a bit too faithful, with missions that now feel too simple and limited to the point of just being a bit boring.

VDZE Media - 6 / 10

Destroy All Humans is by no means a classic, then. It’s showing its age in more than a few ways in 2020, however it’s unique “charm” (read: crude humour) holds up in 2020 and will serve to provide a solid nostalgia trip for fans of the original release. For this reason, it’d be hard to recommend at full price, but if it paves the way for a true, modern sequel with a proper open world, then all aboard the flying saucer!

Wccftech - 6 / 10

Destroy All Humans! is a respectable clone of the 2005 original, featuring impressive visuals and moments of explosive fun, but painfully-dated writing and some frustrating missions bring the game back down to earth. Destroy All Humans! is like a pristine 4K Blu-ray re-release of a campy cult movie – a certain niche audience will appreciate the effort, but many may question the point.

Windows Central - 3 / 5 stars

Black Forest Games did a fantastic job recreating the original Destroy All Humans, but its problems run deeper than superficial graphics. Its nostalgia and a few gameplay enhancements, while welcome, won't make this an adventure worth revisiting for most.

COGconnected - 55 / 100

Was it always this bad? Or was the original merely a product of its time, having no business in the year 2020? Either way, this remaster has been the sort of letdown that’s made me reconsider if anything from my childhood was as good as I remember.

PC Invasion - 5.5 / 10

Destroy All Humans! has excellent visuals and is fun for a couple of hours. But it's so redundant, uninspired, and devoid of any real energy that I can't recommend it to anyone that doesn't already love the original.

Explosion Network - 5 / 10

There’s no world in which I see this game attracting a new audience. The humour, references, load times and mission structure are evidence of an old game. Returning fans will enjoy their moment with Crypto-137 once again, but in time to see a fresh entry? I’m doubtful.

GameSkinny - 5 / 10 stars

For a time, the beats of nostalgia carry this remake, but eventually, the goggles fall off and its dated gameplay is laid bare.

TrustedReviews - 2.5 / 5 stars

Black Forest Games' remake of Destroy All Humans is a worthwhile adventure for fans of the series and those who grew up with Crypto's antics on the PS2 and Xbox. However, you'll need to make peace with its outdated gameplay mechanics alongside tired dialogue and story beats, many of which feature a number of offensive stereotypes.

Video Chums - 5 / 10

If you played Destroy All Humans! when it originally released and have some nostalgia for it then this might be worth playing but for the rest of us, this is a game that should have stayed locked away in Area 51.

Inverse - 4 / 10

Sometimes games are forgotten for a reason. Destroy All Humans had ambitious ideas, but retreading old ground isn't the best way to showcase them.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Entertainium - Unscored

Destroy All Humans! is nowhere near a mind-blowing experience in any way nowadays, but it’s still a fun and silly game to blow through and have some laughs while at it.

Player2.net.au - B+

Crypto’s return is a piece of pure B-grade Sci/Fi fun. Come for the one-liners, stay for the engaging combat and cheesy story. The perfect way to lighten your dark and depressing 2020 gaming library.

Polygon - "An A+ remaster of a B+ game"

Destroy All Humans! is a damn fine B-game from an era when publishers bothered to fund such things.

• 8 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Destroy All Humans! Remake (28 July 2020) - Information Thread, update: Nintendo Switch version announced for June 29 release