Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

21 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Probably go Series X then. I enjoy that console so damn much. 

According to stepee it's more powerful than the PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran better. There are glitches in this game and some pop-up. The resolution seems a bit dull, too. Xbox version might clean that up. It still runs and looks great overall on PS5. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

According to stepee it's more powerful than the PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran better. There are glitches in this game and some pop-up. The resolution seems a bit dull, too. Xbox version might clean that up. It still runs and looks great overall on PS5. 

What are you playing it on?

If you really care DF did a breakdown of it

tl;dr is runs mostly the same with some minor differences

Minor differences:

Spoiler

Xbox has ground higher up, closer to the character's feet than PS5

Some camera angles have not as good anisotropic filtering

Xbox has better hazy water but otherwise not really noticable

The HUD is lower res on Xbox

Xbox has less screen tearing than PS5

The Act 3 town runs like 2 FPS worse than the patched PS5 version.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Biggie said:

What are you playing it on?

PS5 because I downloaded the trial on it. 

Man, this is my first experience with an RPG like this. It's impressing me way more than I though possible. There is always a way out of a jam if you're patient enough and explore. I just did a side quest that gave me a beautiful new sword that was more powerful than my axe. Then after killing an optional character I got better armor. 

Time flies while playing it and I'm very happy I made the decision to buy this. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Is Divinity: Original Sin II worth picking up on my deck? I'm in love with this genre now. 

That game must have a contract that it can’t go below 17 bucks. It’s always on sale and it’s always like 17.99 or something. Don’t get it until you finish BG3. They’re similar enough it’ll be too much of a similar thing and you’ll not finish either one. Just wait, it’s on sale half the year. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yes, but wait until next week.

Why next week?

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

That game must have a contract that it can’t go below 17 bucks. It’s always on sale and it’s always like 17.99 or something. Don’t get it until you finish BG3. They’re similar enough it’ll be too much of a similar thing and you’ll not finish either one. Just wait, it’s on sale half the year. 

It's currently at $28. Ok, I'll wait and just keep my focus on BG3. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

@Bacon 

Hide contents

I made the decision to kill Kagha. Now it's locked me out of Emerald Cove... Should I reload and not do that?

I killed her too but I wasn't locked out. 

Spoiler

You need to get the quest Kill Kagha from Zevlor, and then kill EVERY druid if you want to save the Tieflings at all.

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I killed her too but I wasn't locked out. 

Hide contents

You need to get the quest Kill Kagha from Zevlor, and then kill EVERY druid if you want to save the Tieflings at all.

It's too late. A massacre took place so I had to move on further into the world. I've ran into other side quests but leveling takes more time than I thought. For instance I killed a "devil" for some folks and barely got any EXP for it. I did get an awesome sword. Right now I'm in an area where a fire burnt down most if the buildings and I'm trying to rescue people.

I am trying to figure out how the dice rolls work. Any info on that. 

The main thing you need to do for deck next week @best3444 is you should at least set up an Epic Games account and have it ready to start claiming games. They will be giving out 17 games this year I read. They aren’t all indies either and if they are sometimes they are good ones, hell, DOS2 could be one of them!

Then you just need to set up Heroic launcher to play them. But it’s worth it for free games. And setting it up is actually pretty easy, just certain games are a bit annoying sometimes so I’d never actually buy anything for deck there.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

The main thing you need to do for deck next week @best3444 is you should at least set up an Epic Games account and have it ready to start claiming games. They will be giving out 17 games this year I read. They aren’t all indies either and if they are sometimes they are good ones, hell, DOS2 could be one of them!

Then you just need to set up Heroic launcher to play them. But it’s worth it for free games. And setting it up is actually pretty easy, just certain games are a bit annoying sometimes so I’d never actually buy anything for deck there.

I do have an epic games account. What's DOS2?

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I am trying to figure out how the dice rolls work. Any info on that. 

Uh, so if you roll nat 20, as in the die actually lands on 20, you'll pass any dialog option in the game and rolling a natural 20 in combat is how you score critical hits. Rolling a 1 is a critical fail and your dialog bonuses won't apply to your dice rolls and you will critically miss in combat. A critical miss is no different than a regular miss in terms of function. 

To hit an enemy in combat you must roll higher than their Armor Class. Dice rolls happen behind the scenes for the most part, but you can pull up a combat log to see all of the BTS dice rolls. Enemies also must roll higher than your armor class to hit you. A nat 20 attack roll will always hit.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Uh, so if you roll nat 20, as in the die actually lands on 20, you'll pass any dialog option in the game and rolling a natural 20 in combat is how you score critical hits. Rolling a 1 is a critical fail and your dialog bonuses won't apply to your dice rolls and you will critically miss in combat. A critical miss is no different than a regular miss in terms of function. 

To hit an enemy in combat you must roll higher than their Armor Class. Dice rolls happen behind the scenes for the most part, but you can pull up a combat to see all of the BTS dice rolls. Enemies also must roll higher than your armor class to hit you. A nat 20 attack roll will always hit.

Interesting and thanks for clearing that up. I'm a noob but this game does a pretty solid job in explaining things. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh and you can only level up to 12 so level ups aren't common. I was level 6 or 7 when I left for Act 2, and level 9 or 10 when leaving for Act 3.

I see. I did level up twice since the beginning but I guess it slows down after that. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I see. I did level up twice since the beginning but I guess it slows down after that. 

Yeah, you generally hit level 2 when you land on the beach, and you can hit level 3 before entering the Grove for the first time. But then it slows down unless are speed clearing quests and killing a lot.

On dice rolls outside of the critical functions...

So, like let's say you need a 10 or higher to hit an enemy, but you roll a 6. You will obviously miss your attack. But there are also proficiency bonuses and different modifiers that can increase the roll of your die. If you have a bonus of 4, even if you roll a 6, you will still hit because 6+4=10. If you only have a bonus of 3 you would still end up missing.

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, eventide11 said:

Kind of cross posted but this game reminds me of what Bioware USED to be before EA neutered them way back when. Larian was not messin around when they made this. Definitely deserved game of the year. Even better than I had thought it would be and I'm only about 7 hrs in

I'm roughly 6 hours in and completely agree. What an achievement. 

• True 1

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

On dice rolls outside of the critical functions...

So, like let's say you need a 10 or higher to hit an enemy, but you roll a 6. You will obviously miss your attack. But there are also proficiency bonuses and different modifiers that can increase the roll of your die. If you have a bonus of 4, even if you roll a 6, you will still hit because 6+4=10. If you only have a bonus of 3 you would still end up missing.

This is where I'm having spaghetti Os in my brain. The rolls and checks etc. I know it's heavily based on D&D dice and board rules and I'm about 20 years out of touch on all that so I'm basically doing the best I can at what looks right. Kudos and respect to you guys that get scientific with your understanding of this stuff

Furthermore on Dice Rolls

Weapons have their own damage rolls. The D20 in combat is your attack roll, or maybe think of it as your chance to hit roll. The D20 DOES NOT determine the amount of damage you do. Weapons have their own "damage roll". For example, Greatswords require you to roll 2 six-sided dice(2d6). That means your base damage can be as low as 2 but as high as 12. There are other modifiers and bonuses that increase damage, so your overall damage will be higher than what the dice allows.

Let's look at Jorgoral's Greatsword.

The Dice Roll is 2d6. That is 2-12 damage.

But it also has a +1 Enchantment. That means all of your attacks with this weapon will have +1 damage applied to it.

That means, this weapon deals 3-13 damage.

But Greatswords have added damage based on your Strength modifier.  Let's say you have a Strength Modifier of 6.

So that becomes 2d6+1(enchant)+6(from STR) on your damage roll which comes out to 9-19 damage.

And there are other ways to add damage such as a ring that adds +2 acid damage or buffs that add +1d4 of various damage types.

Now, I suppose I could be wrong with some of that info as I don't play DnD and this is the only DnD game I have ever played but I believe I am right enough. So, for a more in-depth look at damage, you can use the BG3 Wiki for all of your needs. The BG3 Wiki will literally have all the answers to any question you have about BG3, you just need to know what you are looking for but I get that sometimes you can't be sure how to even begin searching for what you don't know.

BG3.WIKI

Damage is a number that represents how deadly a threat is. When a creature takes damage, they subtract that amount of damage from their current amount of hit points.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Weapons have their own damage rolls. The D20 in combat is your attack roll, or maybe think of it as your chance to hit roll. The D20 DOES NOT determine the amount of damage you do. Weapons have their own "damage roll". For example, Greatswords require you to roll 2 six-sided dice(2d6). That means your base damage can be as low as 2 but as high as 12. There are other modifiers and bonuses that increase damage, so your overall damage will be higher than what the dice allows.

But it also has a +1 Enchantment. That means all of your attacks with this weapon will have +1 damage applied to it.

But Greatswords have added damage based on your Strength modifier.  Let's say you have a Strength Modifier of 6.

So that becomes 2d6+1(enchant)+6(from STR) on your damage roll which comes out to 9-19 damage.

And there are other ways to add damage such as a ring that adds +2 acid damage or buffs that add +1d4 of various damage types.

Now, I suppose I could be wrong with some of that info as I don't play DnD and this is the only DnD game I have ever played but I believe I am right enough. So, for a more in-depth look at damage, you can use the BG3 Wiki for all of your needs. The BG3 Wiki will literally have all the answers to any question you have about BG3, you just need to know what you are looking for but I get that sometimes you can't be sure how to even begin searching for what you don't know.

BG3.WIKI

Damage is a number that represents how deadly a threat is. When a creature takes damage, they subtract that amount of damage from their current amount of hit points.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I get that stuff because I've been playing RPGS since 1987 but I don't think of it and apply it like I used to

46 minutes ago, Bacon said:

BG3.WIKI

Homer Simpson Nerd GIF

• Haha 1
  • True 1