Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

God damn, using bludgeoning on the one boss makes it a total joke. Helped that I got a 50-damage crit too.

Also, man, some of this game's shit is really fuckin' jank.

Like, I wish the game remembered how you set up your hot bars, there is not reason why should have to change all of the icons around when I swap weapons.

If you throw a returning weapon you equip it when it returns. That's really fucked up imo.

And the first playthrough is complete! :sun:

Main Character: Paladin High Elf 

Spoiler

Who became a mind flayer

Total time: 120 hours! :o

Liked: Depth of options, combinations, lots more to discover on play through 2

Disliked: Bugs, inability to skip enemy turns (toward end of game battles can last an hour+)

Person Rating: 9.5

Next Main: Monk

• Like 1

There’s a couple of mods I’m debating on adding:

A never overburdened mod <- I f’n hate weight limits in games like this. You have basically a magical inventory where you can carry around dead bodies and giant barrels of explosives sight unseen. But oh no, 1001lbs? You better knock off a pound and magically send it over to your camp or your character loses all their movement points!

Multi-Classing lvl limit increase <- instead of being limited to level 12, you can now have a combined total of 20 (no class can go past 12 still, but if you’re doing like Paladin + Warlock you could put each at 10, or one at 8 and one at 12, or whatever other combination)

Increase Party Limit <- this probably risks making the game way too easy, but the whole thing of “hey, we’re all gonna die unless we figure this out… but I’m only going to have 3 of you with me at any time because reasons” in pretty much all games like this has always annoyed me :p 

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

A never overburdened mod <- I f’n hate weight limits in games like this. You have basically a magical inventory where you can carry around dead bodies and giant barrels of explosives sight unseen. But oh no, 1001lbs? You better knock off a pound and magically send it over to your camp or your character loses all their movement points!

Multi-Classing lvl limit increase <- instead of being limited to level 12, you can now have a combined total of 20 (no class can go past 12 still, but if you’re doing like Paladin + Warlock you could put each at 10, or one at 8 and one at 12, or whatever other combination)

Increase Party Limit <- this probably risks making the game way too easy, but the whole thing of “hey, we’re all gonna die unless we figure this out… but I’m only going to have 3 of you with me at any time because reasons” in pretty much all games like this has always annoyed me :p 

I looked but became concerned that these might mess up my save/cause other issues. I figure I'll give it a year and let Larian wrap up its major patching, changes so that modders can mature their mods. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I looked but became concerned that these might mess up my save/cause other issues. I figure I'll give it a year and let Larian wrap up its major patching, changes so that modders can mature their mods. 

I decided not to use the lvl 20 mod as it looks like that one can F up a lot of stuff if a character tries to go past level 12 for their class (ie: if a character already hit 12 for a class and you click the button to go to the level up screen, the game will just crash). The Party Limit begone has a couple of issues but you just need to send the extra companions away and it's fixed - for example, if you try to do a long rest with 8 characters in your party, all but your character will stay awake/active and not allow the long rest to go forward, but you can use the still awake characters to dismiss other party members until it kicks in.

• Halal 1

MALE HALF-ELF SKIN TONE BUGGED

My character's face changes color whenever I get close/zoom in. I believe the head of my character is reverting to the default skin tone when zoomed in. If I am at max camera distance away from my character the skin tone is correct. This bug is retroactive, meaning, that even when I reload my very first save on the Ravaged Beach, the skin tone of my character's head is the wrong color.

Also, this applies to newly created characters as well. If you were to make my character exactly as described below you will see the issue the instant you first see your character.

This has been happening since the latest patch but searching the web shows this has been an issue for far longer. I refuse to continue playing. Please fix.

Origin - Dark Urge

Class: 6th level Barbarian (Berserker)

Race: Half-Elf

Subrace: Wood Elf

Body Type 4

Identity - Male

Voice - Voice 7

Head 2

Skin Colour - Warm Tone 1

Scar 2

Genitals - Penis D

Tattoo Style - No Tattoo

Piercing Style - Easy Breezy

Eye Colour - Elf Silver 1

Eye Makeup Style - None

Lip Tint - Red 1

Hairstyle - Tidy Mohawk

Hair Colour - Black Brown

Facial Hair - Roguish

Any other setting has been left at the default value

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

And the first playthrough is complete! :sun:

Main Character: Paladin High Elf 

Reveal hidden contents

Total time: 120 hours! :o

Liked: Depth of options, combinations, lots more to discover on play through 2

Disliked: Bugs, inability to skip enemy turns (toward end of game battles can last an hour+)

Person Rating: 9.5

Next Main: Monk

When you play Monk, absolutely get mobile as your first feat. Monks can run so far and Mobile makes it so you can hit someone and then walk away without incurring a opportunity attack. It's so good. My main basically ran all around the battle field, shoving people off cliffs and taking out ranged/magic when needed.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The first one sounds good. The latter 2 do sound like they could break the game balance though.

• Halal 1

I saw a comment from Larian's director of publishing that they had been working with the voice actress for the narrator (who is awesome) for 10 years. Which I assumed meant she worked on DOS2, and she did! She was Malady, and she apparently put together on youtube some of her favorite lines, which are, indeed, excellent. Makes me want to do another playthrough of DOS2 after BG3.

On 8/27/2023 at 5:47 AM, Spork3245 said:

Oh, multi-class stops you at total of 12 levels?  That's pretty jank.  I might have to use that mod, I'm doing a Palock.

Oh, read your next one.  So it's just a max of 12 for one class, so you CAN be 8+12=20?

47 minutes ago, Bitgod said:

Oh, multi-class stops you at total of 12 levels?  That's pretty jank.  I might have to use that mod, I'm doing a Palock.

Oh, read your next one.  So it's just a max of 12 for one class, so you CAN be 8+12=20?

In DnD, every time you gain a character level you can to choose which class you put that level into and each class has its own level. So if you are character level 12, the sum of all class levels has to equal 12. E.g, 8 fighter class level + 4 bard class level. In the regular game, you can have 12 character levels max.

The mod he described lets your character level go above 12 as long as no class level is above 12. So in the mod,  you could be character level 20 made up of level 12 fighter and level 8 bard class levels, or anything lese of the sort.

Mods can't easily let your class levels go higher than 12, because then they'd have to implement the additional rules that come with each class (subclass) levels (and the corresponding spell lists) which the game doesn't have. A bigger mod could of course add those too, but you're not going to see something like that so close to release cause, uh, it's a lot of rules for a lot classes/subclasses!

10 hours ago, Bitgod said:

The vanilla game is a max of 12 levels regardless of how you stack it, the mod allows a max of 20 combined but is still limited to lvl 12 per class.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The vanilla game is a max of 12 levels regardless of how you stack it, the mod allows a max of 20 combined but is still limited to lvl 12 per class.

It’s also worth noting that the available experience points in the game will limit how high you can go, so it’s recommended to use an experience point modifier with the max level mod

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, I can’t seem to figure out how to get any of these mods to work. I’m using Vortex and have them enabled in Vortex yet they aren’t working :sadsun:

Level 20 (Multiclass)

1. Download chosen file MANUALLY, DO NOT USE ANY MANAGERS/DOWNLOADERS.

Party Limit Begone

Spoiler

Move the whole Mods folder in to your Baldurs Gate 3 Data folder. That's the game folder, not appdata.

Sounds like at least these 2 need to be manually installed.

23 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Level 20 (Multiclass)

Party Limit Begone

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds like at least these 2 need to be manually installed.

Yea, I did that, still isn't working.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I'm using Vortex so maybe that's the problem?

Maybe. I've never used it. I've always thought Vortex was dumb for some reason. I can't even remember why. I think it might have been because I used the old NMM and I hate change so I wasn't down with vortex lol.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Maybe. I've never used it. I've always thought Vortex was dumb for some reason. I can't even remember why. I think it might have been because I used the old NMM and I hate change so I wasn't down with vortex lol.

Nexus Mod Manager was 1000000% better than Vortex. The UI is fucking awful

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Minor complaint I have, I wish it were more seamless to swap party members. It’s clunky to have to walk over to them and conversationally dismiss them. Just let me do it real fast anywhere fast travel is allowed. 

Yep. I've been wanting a DA:O party menu since like Day 2. DA:O asks you, when you leave camp, to form your party. Sure, you are asked every time, but it was far less of a hassle. It was just one extra button press if you already had your party.

39 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yep. I've been wanting a DA:O party menu since like Day 2. DA:O asks you, when you leave camp, to form your party. Sure, you are asked every time, but it was far less of a hassle. It was just one extra button press if you already had your party.

We don’t need to limit our hopes to a less than ideal system like that. Just let me swap when I want to from a menu. The camp is already jarring enough from a suspension of disbelief standpoint. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

We don’t need to limit our hopes to a less than ideal system like that. Just let me swap when I want to from a menu. The camp is already jarring enough from a suspension of disbelief standpoint. 

I agree, but it's like devs tend to like forcing a bit of immersion on you in this regard when it comes to Western-made fantasy games and I doubt you could get them to stray away from the camp nonsense. If it was a Japanese game we could do this from the start tho lol.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: per Larian, Patch #2 is "around the corner"

Can anyone who’s late in the game tell me if there’s a difficultly spike combat wise? The game started off a bit challenging in battle for me, but now I feel like I’m probably over leveled and thus having a great time in battles with occasionally having some trouble but rarely in big trouble. 

I remember in Divinity OS 2 I reached a point I think in act 2 where all of a sudden I was destroyed. 

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Can anyone who’s late in the game tell me if there’s a difficultly spike combat wise? The game started off a bit challenging in battle for me, but now I feel like I’m probably over leveled and thus having a great time in battles with occasionally having some trouble but rarely in big trouble. 

I remember in Divinity OS 2 I reached a point I think in act 2 where all of a sudden I was destroyed. 

I don't want to spoil anything so I will simply say that depending on the choices you make along the way, the end game is quite challegning or fairly reasonible to tackle. 

• Thanks 1