Borderlands 3 | Official Thread of Memeriffic Shlooting, update: PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S technical analyses from Digital Foundry

Mr.Vic20

18 hours ago, elbobo said:

played an hour or so last night, it is borderlands. 

On PC volumetric fog is the biggest FPS killer if you are looking to optimize 

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/borderlands-3-system-requirements-settings-benchmarks-and-performance-analysis/

Yeah, on my 1060 6GB @ 1080, I just set the settings to High, turned up AF to 16x and lowered fog to medium.  Haven't had any technical issues, other than early farting around with DX12 in benchmark.  Lets just ignore DX12 exists and games should just use DX11 and/or Vulkan.

Played a bit of this tonight. I was kinda surprised on how much better the movement felt, it really is a huge improvement. Performance mode on the PS4 Pro is real dumpster fire though. Textures and shadows pop in and out in a very jarring manner and the frame rate is down right pathetic. It seems just poorly optimized, and in some need of a few patches.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Played a bit of this tonight. I was kinda surprised on how much better the movement felt, it really is a huge improvement. Performance mode on the PS4 Pro is real dumpster fire though. Textures and shadows pop in and out in a very jarring manner and the frame rate is down right pathetic. It seems just poorly optimized, and in some need of a few patches.

Really? I’m playing on a Pro with performance on and it seems to run pretty good. Do you have boost mode on as well?

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Playing on Xbox One X, not having those issues. Well not all of them. Texture pops in in menus, but not while running around. Shadows look consistent too. Frame rate does drop during very busy times, but no worse than any other game on Xbox. 

I am also running the game off a SSD, so that may be helping too. 

Im running the game in resolution mode with FOV at 100. It feels like I’m getting 40-50fps most of the time, but I could be wrong. I haven’t tried the game on performance mode. I’d be interested in seeing the DF analysis. 

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Really? I’m playing on a Pro with performance on and it seems to run pretty good. Do you have boost mode on as well?

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Playing on Xbox One X, not having those issues. Well not all of them. Texture pops in in menus, but not while running around. Shadows look consistent too. Frame rate does drop during very busy times, but no worse than any other game on Xbox. 

I am also running the game off a SSD, so that may be helping too. 

Im running the game in resolution mode with FOV at 100. It feels like I’m getting 40-50fps most of the time, but I could be wrong. I haven’t tried the game on performance mode. I’d be interested in seeing the DF analysis. 

This isnt my video but it shows the same issues

Textures and shadows on grass that are popping in 

Textures loading on the wall when aiming down sights and then watch as he runs towards the wall, portions just kinda materialize as gets closer.

"Borderlands 3 came out this week, and players are reporting a raft of technical issues with the game.

On console, Gearbox's looter shooter suffers from framerate problems. Specifically, players are reporting a stutter in the PlayStation 4 Pro's performance mode, which is supposed to give you a 60fps experience. But this stutter appears widespread across platforms and modes.

There's a lot of lag, too, particularly when playing split-screen couch co-op and one player goes into their ECHOdevice during heavy combat."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-14-borderlands-3-is-suffering-from-a-raft-of-technical-issues-at-launch#comments

5 hours ago, Biggie said:

Are you using an SSD or the PS4’s HDD?

21 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

This isnt my video but it shows the same issues

Textures and shadows on grass that are popping in 

Textures loading on the wall when aiming down sights and then watch as he runs towards the wall, portions just kinda materialize as gets closer.

"Borderlands 3 came out this week, and players are reporting a raft of technical issues with the game.

On console, Gearbox's looter shooter suffers from framerate problems. Specifically, players are reporting a stutter in the PlayStation 4 Pro's performance mode, which is supposed to give you a 60fps experience. But this stutter appears widespread across platforms and modes.

There's a lot of lag, too, particularly when playing split-screen couch co-op and one player goes into their ECHOdevice during heavy combat."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-14-borderlands-3-is-suffering-from-a-raft-of-technical-issues-at-launch#comments

How is it in resolution mode?

That at does suck though. I’ve heard the PC version has had issues too. 

The digital foundry video makes me wonder if gear box was trying to do too much with the pro. It seems they have the game trying to render more in the pro than the one X, which is odd since the one X is the stronger of the two. 

Maybe if they scale back to match parity with the One X it will have the desired performance. 

In the video I saw pop in for the One X version. Maybe that’s because they’re showing it in slow motion. Maybe I’ve become immune to seeing it since it happens in pretty much every game. Maybe it is mitigated because it is streaming from my SSD rather than a standard HDD. I have seen the SSD improve pop in for other games, like Div 2. 

So far, I like the game. I'm definitely in the It's more Borderlands! 9/10 group. The basic gameplay is the best it's been in the series. It's definitely one of those games where if you didn't like the previous ones don't bother with this, but if you did the game is back and better than ever so definitely pick it up. 

But I will say this, for whatever reason the game performs like ass in the menus. I guess massive stutter and loading problems nearly every single time I access the menus, which is quite a bit. 

Also, I probably shouldn't have legendary farmed all the bosses in the first area because now I'm a bit overleveled. Probably should save that shit for the second playthrough. 

lol the only issue I ever have farming for legendaries in a BL game is when the level cap increases you have to do it all over again. 

The one good thing in BL2 was my mechromancer build was solely based on passive skills and the Bee Shield. The level of my weapons was inconsequential to my damage output, because the Bee shield was really where my damage was. So it was really the only legendary I needed to farm. 

Hell, I could melt Badasses in seconds on the new DLC using a low lvl pistol I got on normal on my first play through. The synergy with the Bee Shield and passive skills was amazing. 

34 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

lol the only issue I ever have farming for legendaries in a BL game is when the level cap increases you have to do it all over again. 

The one good thing in BL2 was my mechromancer build was solely based on passive skills and the Bee Shield. The level of my weapons was inconsequential to my damage output, because the Bee shield was really where my damage was. So it was really the only legendary I needed to farm. 

Hell, I could melt Badasses in seconds on the new DLC using a low lvl pistol I got on normal on my first play through. The synergy with the Bee Shield and passive skills was amazing. 

That's because the Bee Shield was incredibly broken in general 

11 minutes ago, Dodger said:

That's because the Bee Shield was incredibly broken in general 

They did patch it to be less broken, but with the right guns it was still OP. Plus Mechromancer had a skill that bullets that hit other surfaces would ricochet. When they did it was at 50% damage, but would 100% auto target enemies. I could wipe out a room of enemies from around a corner. lol 

31 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Reached lvl 13 or so with Fl4K and decided I wanted to try out one of the other characters. Sooner or later I always try out all the various characters in these games, but I hate that you can't skip the openings!! 

Yeah that unskippable opening cutscene is BS and needs to be fixed. I also started as Flak and just reached the second planet and was thinking of playing around with Zane a bit when I get home just to switch it up a bit. But at the same time, not that this is some story driven masterpiece or anything but I kind of don't want to take forever to beat it just so I can avoid spoilers. I'm probably only going to have an hour or so to play the next few days though so maybe farting around with Zane for the week will be the plan. 

22 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah that unskippable opening cutscene is BS and needs to be fixed. I also started as Flak and just reached the second planet and was thinking of playing around with Zane a bit when I get home just to switch it up a bit. But at the same time, not that this is some story driven masterpiece or anything but I kind of don't want to take forever to beat it just so I can avoid spoilers. I'm probably only going to have an hour or so to play the next few days though so maybe farting around with Zane for the week will be the plan. 

I know what you mean. And don't plan on playing much with the other characters just want to see how the others play