Delicious and healthy budget meals

Joe

Anyone got any to share?

I just opened two poblano peppers, made a quick tuna salad, filled the peppers, put a slice of American cheese on each pepper half, and then stuck it under the broiler. I had dinner in under 20 minutes that cost me around $2.50. Not bad!

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Anyone got any to shate?

I just opened two poblano peppers, made a quick tuna salad, filled the peppers, put a slice of American cheese on each pepper half, and then stuck it under the broiler. I had dinner in under 20 minutes that cost me around $2.50. Not bad!

My wife usually does this with rice, beans and cheese.  quick easy and tasty

I keep a big batch of shredded chicken on hand, then toss a little of that into a salad, on top of a baked potato with some cheese, into a bowl of rice with some steamed veggies, make tacos, or whatever super basic thing I can think of. 

Im trying to find a mix of things that are reasonably cheap and healthy as well as very simple to make. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to cooking. 

58 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I keep a big batch of shredded chicken on hand, then toss a little of that into a salad, on top of a baked potato with some cheese, into a bowl of rice with some steamed veggies, make tacos, or whatever super basic thing I can think of. 

Im trying to find a mix of things that are reasonably cheap and healthy as well as very simple to make. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to cooking. 

You should get a pressure cooker. Not that pricey and you can make absurdly yummy things that are cheap, healthy, and fast.

ehh.  My tofu broccoli rice dish is pretty cheap.

Tofu - marinate in braggs or tamari (soy sauce), coat with nutritional yeast and fry

rice - cook

broccoli - don't cook (whaaaaat?!?!?) fry garlic, sesame oil, chilies, and whatever else my wife does (I don't make it) and coat the broccoli after adding a rice vinegar.  It will soften but not be mushy trash!

EAT

5 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Tofu - marinate in braggs or tamari (soy sauce), coat with nutritional yeast and fry

rice - cook

broccoli - don't cook (whaaaaat?!?!?) fry garlic, sesame oil, chilies, and whatever else my wife does (I don't make it) and coat the broccoli after adding a rice vinegar.  It will soften but not be mushy trash!

EAT

Needs more beef tbh

My house is on a sous vide kick, and it really improves the taste of chicken/pork.  My current favourites:

1)  Bacon-Wrapped, Cheese-filled Chicken Breast

-- Cut a pocket in the chicken breast, put in two slices of cheese, add some diced garlic, wrap in bacon, sous vide and finish

2)  Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Sauce

-- Sous vide a pork tenderloin at ~135-140, and finish

--  Combine Cherry jam (~1 cup) with a couple of teaspoons of balsamic vinegar, reduce over medium heat by about 1/3

Pork tenderloin is VERY cheap here relative to beef, and because you're using a sous vide, you can pasteurize it at a much lower temperature, and have an almost steak like texture that isn't dry.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, Captain Pickle said:

rice - cook

EAT

On 3/27/2019 at 3:12 PM, Boyle5150 said:

Needs more beef tbh

Needs more man up buttercup. 

• Like 1