Canada: Former AG's testimony alleges "political interference" and "veiled threats" to end prosecution of major construction firm

Trudeau Stares Into Abyss After Former AG’s Explosive Testimony

Justin Trudeau is facing the most explosive crisis of his administration after his former attorney general detailed a months-long campaign by the Canadian prime minister’s office to quietly end a legal problem for an iconic Quebec construction firm.

The Liberals were already neck-and neck with the Conservatives (but with regional advantages), but after this news broke (the last few weeks) the Conservatives have taken the lead. I can't see the Liberals winning the next election now. Possibly if Trudeau steps down almost immediately and they elect a new leader, someone like Ralph Goodale who is a respected elder statesman who is squeaky clean. But leaders almost never step down when they should, so I doubt Trudeau will.

What a moronic government. They have done some good things for sure (Canada child tax credit expansion, which has cut poverty levels by something like 50%, legalizing marijuana, etc). 

The worst part is that Andrew Scheer will become PM. He is an extreme social conservative who is slimy, and has no real administrative experience. He was an insurance broker until he was elected as an MP in his 30s, but was then Speaker of the House until the last election, so he's never actually had to even govern as an MP until the last 3 years. He is not Trump-dumb though, so he will likely be effective. What does this mean for Canada? A few things for sure:

- Elimination of the carbon tax & refunds

- Expansion of oil production and pipelines

- More anti-immigrant stuff

- Reducing refugee acceptance

- Cutting corporate taxes further

- Making it harder to vote

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The worst part is that Andrew Scheer will become PM. He is an extreme social conservative who is slimy, and has no real administrative experience. He was an insurance broker until he was elected as an MP in his 30s, but was then Speaker of the House until the last election, so he's never actually had to even govern as an MP until the last 3 years. He is not Trump-dumb though, so he will likely be effective. What does this mean for Canada? A few things for sure:

- Elimination of the carbon tax & refunds

- Expansion of oil production and pipelines

- More anti-immigrant stuff

- Reducing refugee acceptance

- Cutting corporate taxes further

- Making it harder to vote

I actually feel bad reading this. I hate to see other countries suffer any kind of Trumpian person, even if they are a different kind of Trump. 

I'm really sorry if that comes to pass. After suffering Trump for 2 years (and counting), I can tell you, it's a hellscape and it's awful. Do what little you can to turn the tide in your elections. Trust me, you want ineffectual over evil any day, take what you can get with the Liberal party vs. Conservative party. :(

If not for the fact that I think Trump would have come back even stronger in 2020 had he not been elected in 2016 so it's good we're dealing with him now as opposed to later (imagine, he would have just have kept playing the outsider during a Clinton presidency, people would have flocked in droves to him). I would otherwise have absolutely taken a Hillary Clinton presidency despite not liking her as a choice much.